Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't Export Corrected Images to New Folder. Why?  (Read 10337 times)

Bill Wiley

Can't Export Corrected Images to New Folder. Why?
« on: November 20, 2008, 02:16:06 pm »

I’m stuck and I can’t seem to get past base 1.  My goal is to import RAW files into the Library, color correct/optimize them, and export the corrected files to a different folder.  I want those actual corrected files in a new folder that I can see and will access in Windows Explorer.  At this point, I don’t want to add any keywords, cross referencing, etc.

My problem is that none of the Export modes actually saves the corrected images in the new folder.  I start out highlighting the images, choosing Export, identifying the folder, TIF format, etc. and then clicking save (or “export”).

The bar in the upper left looks like it’s going through the process and when it’s all done I get a box showing “Export Results – Some export operations could not be performed.”  All of the images are listed in the box and when I look at the folder in Windows Explorer, the “target” folder is empty.  

I’ve done this numerous times and the corrected RAW images never get saved.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Bill

Richowens

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 03:13:50 pm »

Is the new folder "Read Only" by chance?

Bill Wiley

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 10:17:34 pm »

Good point, Rich.

In Windows Explorer, under Properties, the folder has the Read Only box in solid blue, but it's not checked.  Not sure what that means.  It's the same in other folders in Windows Explorer with different pictures though.

Thanks for the idea, but I don't know if this is a factor.

Tklimek

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 11:59:27 pm »

Hi Bill.....

Just out of curiousity, why are you exporting the color corrected files to another folder?  I'm assuming you are then going to "do something" with them; like send them to someone as a jpg or something.  As you may or may not know there is no need to save a separate version of the file if you simply plan on keeping them.  I'll let some others verify that info.  Did you try exporting just a single image to your desktop or a different folder?  Assuming you are using LR 2.1?

As far as the "Read Only" box being in blue, that is not an issue (mine is the same, and I certainly can save files to it).  I would try exporting a single file to your desktop and see what happens.

Cheers.....

TK

Quote from: Bill Wiley
Good point, Rich.

In Windows Explorer, under Properties, the folder has the Read Only box in solid blue, but it's not checked.  Not sure what that means.  It's the same in other folders in Windows Explorer with different pictures though.

Thanks for the idea, but I don't know if this is a factor.

Bill Wiley

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 12:16:16 pm »

Thanks for the feedback.

I want to save the optimized image in a separate folder for other uses, ie.  sending to my lab for prints, making a book, etc.

I know that having the different versions of the same image (RAW, TIF and sometimes JPG) fills up my drive, but I think there

are times when I need to have them.  Maybe it's partly that I'm used to using a viewer program instead of one that cross

references everything.

For right now, I'd still like those difference versions of the same image in different folders in Windows Explorer.

Richowens

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 01:11:00 pm »

Bill,

Below are screenshots of the dialogue with the settings I use for export.

[attachment=9810:screen1.jpg]
[attachment=9811:screen2.jpg]

This works in both XP and Vista. And correct, read only doesn't seem to matter.

Rich

Bill Wiley

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 04:27:20 pm »

Quote from: Richowens
Bill,

Below are screenshots of the dialogue with the settings I use for export.

[attachment=9810:screen1.jpg]
[attachment=9811:screen2.jpg]

This works in both XP and Vista. And correct, read only doesn't seem to matter.

Rich

Are the settings you're showing from Library or in Develop?

I don't recall seeing this screen before.

Bill Wiley

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 04:29:20 pm »

Are the settings you're showing from Library or in Develop?

I don't recall seeing this screen before.

I should have said that I haven't seen the 2nd screen before.

What preceeds this/how do you get here?

Richowens

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 05:07:52 pm »

Bill,

Those two combined are the export dialogue. This is a popup window I cropped to show just the window. I was in the Library Grid View.

To do what you want select the images you want to export. Then if you have the left pane open ( The one that shows your folders, etc.) at the bottom is a button-Export. You can click that button or go to File>Export. This will bring up the window I have pictured.

Let me make another illustration that may make it clearer. Get back to you in a few.

Rich

Richowens

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 05:48:27 pm »

[attachment=9812:LR1.jpg]
 [attachment=9813:LR2.jpg]

Bill,

The first one shows the photos selected and the ways of opening the export dialogue.
 The second shows the popup opened in the Grid View.

HTH

Rich

Bill Wiley

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 10:31:44 am »

Quote from: Richowens
[attachment=9812:LR1.jpg]
 [attachment=9813:LR2.jpg]

Bill,

The first one shows the photos selected and the ways of opening the export dialogue.
 The second shows the popup opened in the Grid View.

HTH

Rich

Rich,

You've helped identify my problem.  With both sets of examples, I get the 1st box fine, make my setting and then click "Export."   Then I get stalled with a box called "Export Results. Some export operations could not be performed.  The file(s) could not be written."  Then it identifies the file(s) that I tried to save.  

The bottom line is that it won't let me go further than the initial "Export" box.  Then it stalls with the box I mentioned.   It's done that every time I've tried.

Not sure what to do.  Is there any chance I've got something set wrong?

Thanks, Bill

Tklimek

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 02:51:48 pm »

Hi Bill....

Hey....just to double-check a few things.

Let's start simple and see if we can get a few more details; you've mentioned you are a Windows user vs. MAC so that helps.

• If in "Develop" (or "Library"), right-click on a single image (we are starting simple here) and choose "Export" and then "Export".
  • When the first "Export" dialog pops up, are you sure that the top section "Export Location" reads:  "Files on disk"? ....; maybe somehow this got set to CD or something.
  • If that is correct, go ahead and in the "Export Location" section use the "Choose" button to choose your desktop.
  • In the "File Naming" section type in "Test".
  • In the "File Settings" section, make sure JPG is chosen.
  • And then go ahead and  click on the "Export" button at the bottom of the screen and see what happens.

If you post back to this thread, maybe your results will help this group come up with potential solutions for you.

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago

Rich,

You've helped identify my problem.  With both sets of examples, I get the 1st box fine, make my setting and then click "Export."   Then I get stalled with a box called "Export Results. Some export operations could not be performed.  The file(s) could not be written."  Then it identifies the file(s) that I tried to save.  

The bottom line is that it won't let me go further than the initial "Export" box.  Then it stalls with the box I mentioned.   It's done that every time I've tried.

Not sure what to do.  Is there any chance I've got something set wrong?

Thanks, Bill

Bill Wiley

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 09:27:00 am »

Quote from: Tklimek
Hi Bill....

Hey....just to double-check a few things.

Let's start simple and see if we can get a few more details; you've mentioned you are a Windows user vs. MAC so that helps.

• If in "Develop" (or "Library"), right-click on a single image (we are starting simple here) and choose "Export" and then "Export".
  • When the first "Export" dialog pops up, are you sure that the top section "Export Location" reads:  "Files on disk"? ....; maybe somehow this got set to CD or something.
  • If that is correct, go ahead and in the "Export Location" section use the "Choose" button to choose your desktop.
  • In the "File Naming" section type in "Test".
  • In the "File Settings" section, make sure JPG is chosen.
  • And then go ahead and  click on the "Export" button at the bottom of the screen and see what happens.

If you post back to this thread, maybe your results will help this group come up with potential solutions for you.

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago

After clicking “Export,” the top section of the box that comes up is definitely “Files on Disk.”  I chose Desktop like you said and clicked “Export” and the image file was transferred fine.  It was on the desktop.

Then I tried again and in the same box, instead of setting it to Desktop, I set the Export Location to Specific Folder and then identified the Folder below.  I was hoping that after clicking, the file(s) could be seen in that folder in Windows Explorer.

Not so.  Like before, after clicking “Export” the little bar moved across the top left of the screen to show that it was doing something, and then the box came up “Export Results – Some export operations could not be performed. The file(s) could not be written.”  It identified the files below.

So why it would export files to the Desktop and not a folder is beyond me.  I tried setting things differently but to no avail.  I obviously have something set wrong, but I sure can’t figure out what it is.  I’ve read the manual numerous times, but still can’t figure it out.

Any more ideas would be appreciate.  Thanks,
Bill

James R

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 12:51:16 pm »

After clicking “Export,” the top section of the box that comes up is definitely “Files on Disk.”  I chose Desktop like you said and clicked “Export” and the image file was transferred fine.  It was on the desktop.

Then I tried again and in the same box, instead of setting it to Desktop, I set the Export Location to Specific Folder and then identified the Folder below.  I was hoping that after clicking, the file(s) could be seen in that folder in Windows Explorer.

Not so.  Like before, after clicking “Export” the little bar moved across the top left of the screen to show that it was doing something, and then the box came up “Export Results – Some export operations could not be performed. The file(s) could not be written.”  It identified the files below.

So why it would export files to the Desktop and not a folder is beyond me.  I tried setting things differently but to no avail.  I obviously have something set wrong, but I sure can’t figure out what it is.  I’ve read the manual numerous times, but still can’t figure it out.

Any more ideas would be appreciate.  Thanks,
Bill

Is the folder located on a HD that is connected through a network?  If so, the problem might be related to the network.  Otherwise, I haven't used Windows in a while, but, have you tried exiting Windows Explorer and then loading it again?  I remember Explorer not seeing folders created in another application until I either exited or refreshed it (can't remember which, I've been use Mac for the past year.)

Bill Wiley

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 01:57:44 pm »

Quote from: James R
Is the folder located on a HD that is connected through a network?  If so, the problem might be related to the network.  Otherwise, I haven't used Windows in a while, but, have you tried exiting Windows Explorer and then loading it again?  I remember Explorer not seeing folders created in another application until I either exited or refreshed it (can't remember which, I've been use Mac for the past year.)

The folder I’m trying to save to is on an external hard drive, so I don’t know why there should be a problem with that.  No networks are involved.  

I know what you’re saying about having to refresh Explorer (and other programs) sometimes to see changes.  My problem actually happens before that, since I get that screen that says the export couldn’t be performed at all and it shows the files that weren’t saved.  It seems to get hung up there and I don’t know why.

There must be a reason this happens every time, but I don’t know what it is.  I’ve searched other forums and not found similar situations.  Unless someone has a real brainstorm, maybe my next step is simply to contact Adobe.  

Thanks, Bill

Tklimek

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 04:40:40 pm »

Ok....this ones killin' me!

Hmmm.....

Have you tried saving to a folder that you have created on your internal hard drive?  Maybe we can narrow it down to your external device.  Maybe as a test you can created a folder called "Test" on your C drive and try to export to that folder.

If that works (and we already know you can save to your desktop), maybe it really is pointing at an issue with LR exporting to a external HD.

Let us know!

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago

The folder I’m trying to save to is on an external hard drive, so I don’t know why there should be a problem with that.  No networks are involved.  

I know what you’re saying about having to refresh Explorer (and other programs) sometimes to see changes.  My problem actually happens before that, since I get that screen that says the export couldn’t be performed at all and it shows the files that weren’t saved.  It seems to get hung up there and I don’t know why.

There must be a reason this happens every time, but I don’t know what it is.  I’ve searched other forums and not found similar situations.  Unless someone has a real brainstorm, maybe my next step is simply to contact Adobe.  

Thanks, Bill

Tklimek

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 04:47:47 pm »

Bill....

Just as a quick test I just exported a single image to an external HD (WD 1 TB "My Book") and was sucessful.  I just wanted to do a quick test on my own system to see if it worked.

Have you tried just exporting a single image to your external HD and called that image "Test"?  Is there anyway you can post the full screen shot of your Export dialog box and all of the settings?

I'd really like to help you solve this one!

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Quote from: Tklimek
Ok....this ones killin' me!

Hmmm.....

Have you tried saving to a folder that you have created on your internal hard drive?  Maybe we can narrow it down to your external device.  Maybe as a test you can created a folder called "Test" on your C drive and try to export to that folder.

If that works (and we already know you can save to your desktop), maybe it really is pointing at an issue with LR exporting to a external HD.

Let us know!

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago

Richowens

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2008, 07:35:10 pm »

Bill,

A few rambling thoughts.

Is there enough space on you external to hold all the files? If there isn't enough space LR will not export any files at all.

Have you tried running LR as Administrator? Disk permissions come in to play here.

Have you recently deleted files on your external and haven't emptied the Recycle Bin?

From what you have said previously I am presuming you are running Vista. To run LR as Administrator right-click on the Desktop icon and click on Run As Administrator. This should give you disk permission. You might check the disk properties to see what permissions it has. Go to My Computer and right-click on the external disk and click properties.

Something is preventing LR from writing to your external and I feel it is the OS, not the program.

Rich

Bill Wiley

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2008, 09:14:04 pm »

Yes, my computer has Vista as the OS.  I installed it about 6 months ago and, to date, have had no problems.

Todd:  I tried posting an image to both my 750gb My Book and an internal 250gb drive and neither worked.  Got the same old message as before.

I just tried exporting a file to a test folder on my c:drive and it worked.  That seemed like a miracle.

I don't know how to post a screen shot of the export box as it won't copy & paste.  

Rich:  There is enough space on both XHDs that I've tried, my 250gb has only 18gb used and and my 750gb still has 175 free.

I emptied the recycle bin, so that isn't the issue.

As far as permissions go, I checked Security on both XHDs and all permissions are checked.  Surprisingly, I checked Security on my C:drive and a category called "Authenticated Users" was highlighted, but nothing was checked (this computer was originally set up with my wife's to share a printer, so that may be why the  Authenticated Users was checked.  I tried highlighting another category that shows all the boxes checked, but when I click okay, it doesn't hold.  It always goes back to the Authenticated Users group.  I don't know if this is a factor or not, as all my other programs have worked fine before and to the best of my knowledge (which may be limited), I've never had a permissions problem.

So I'm not sure what all that adds up to.  I've tried setting the export box a variety of ways and always get the same "Export Failed"message.

Thanks for your thoughts.  Even though they haven't panned out, it's given me more factors to eliminate.  
Bill

Tklimek

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2008, 12:29:23 am »

Wow Bill....this is quite a sticky wicket.......

So, based on your info:

You can export an image to your desktop
You can export an image to a folder on your C drive
You cannot export an image to your external drive
You (apparently) can write files to your external drives because you have indicated that there are already files on there (I'm assuming that the files already on there were written there by you on this system you are using now?)

I wonder if the problem lies within the Export or simply accessing that drive from LR for whatever reason.  I'm really with Rich on this one and would think that this is OS related and not a LR issue; however maybe we can further narrow it down.

In LR in the Library module in the "Folders" section on the left hand side, are your External drives showing up as "Green-Online"?  Can you simply create a folder in the LR library module on your External drive?  If you can, you know you at least have the rights to do so using LR as the creator of the folder.  I would then try to use LR to copy a file to that newly created folder.  Does that work?  If it does, LR clearly can see the drive, and can write to it.  This would point us toward a problem with the Export function.

I would agree with Rich that the drives *should* be transparent to LR; that is as long as they are functioning at the OS level, LR should simply be able to use them; no tricks involved.

See if the drives are showing up as available and online in the Library module and whether or not you can create a folder and copy files within LR.  That should get us pointed in the right direction.

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago

Yes, my computer has Vista as the OS.  I installed it about 6 months ago and, to date, have had no problems.

Todd:  I tried posting an image to both my 750gb My Book and an internal 250gb drive and neither worked.  Got the same old message as before.

I just tried exporting a file to a test folder on my c:drive and it worked.  That seemed like a miracle.

I don't know how to post a screen shot of the export box as it won't copy & paste.  

Rich:  There is enough space on both XHDs that I've tried, my 250gb has only 18gb used and and my 750gb still has 175 free.

I emptied the recycle bin, so that isn't the issue.

As far as permissions go, I checked Security on both XHDs and all permissions are checked.  Surprisingly, I checked Security on my C:drive and a category called "Authenticated Users" was highlighted, but nothing was checked (this computer was originally set up with my wife's to share a printer, so that may be why the  Authenticated Users was checked.  I tried highlighting another category that shows all the boxes checked, but when I click okay, it doesn't hold.  It always goes back to the Authenticated Users group.  I don't know if this is a factor or not, as all my other programs have worked fine before and to the best of my knowledge (which may be limited), I've never had a permissions problem.

So I'm not sure what all that adds up to.  I've tried setting the export box a variety of ways and always get the same "Export Failed"message.

Thanks for your thoughts.  Even though they haven't panned out, it's given me more factors to eliminate.  
Bill
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up