Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Other monopod choices for Canon G10  (Read 7198 times)

httivals

Other monopod choices for Canon G10
« on: November 20, 2008, 12:18:45 pm »

Michael Reichman's review of the Manfrotto 685B Monopod was well timed for me -- I was just starting to think about getting a very lightweight tripod or monopod for my G10.  It's really the camera that I want to take everywhere with me; the image quality in raw is excellent and I'm learning to love the camera more and more.

The Manfrotto 685B is too large and heavy for what I want.  I'm trying to decide between the Gitzo 2540 or the 2561T.  The main differences being that the 2540 only folds down to about 19" vs. 14" for the 2561T, and the 2561T has 6 legs vs. 4.  I am leaning towards the 2540.

I will use the monopod 85%+ of the time with the Canon G10 and a Bogen swivel claim and RRS QR system, as shown on the really right stuff website.  Maybe 15% or less of the time, I might put my Canon 5D and a 24-105mm lens on it, or the 5D with a prime. . . .

Any advice/comparisons between the two? I'm wondering how easy is it to carry the 2540 around with you all day when you're traveling, hiking or just out and about, vs. the 2561T, which is quite a bit smaller. . . I'm also thinking that the six sections of the 2561T is a excessive. . .

alan9940

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 06:42:14 pm »

On a related note for all you G10 or small DSLR owners,

When on a monopod do you still use image stabilization or turn it off like when shooting from a tripod? I have never used a monopod, but I'm starting to think about it based on Michael's review.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
AlanH

httivals

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 08:35:21 pm »

I'd probably leave it on, but I'm also interested in others' views.  I've mistakenly left it on with the G10 mounted on a tripod and didn't notice any degradation, although I know the better practice is to turn it off.  But on a monopod, you're almost certainly going to have "some" movement that can still be stabilized.

Quote from: alan9940
On a related note for all you G10 or small DSLR owners,

When on a monopod do you still use image stabilization or turn it off like when shooting from a tripod? I have never used a monopod, but I'm starting to think about it based on Michael's review.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
AlanH

stever

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 08:43:06 pm »

leave the stabilization on

i'd recommend one of the inexpensive carbon fiber monopods like feisol

mbridgers

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 08:16:06 am »

I use a cheap Canon monopod with my K10D and FA 43 lens.  I do leave IS on, since even on the monopod I'm not going to be perfectly steady.  I've gotten successful shots down to 1/4 second with that set up.  

The Canon monopod is here:

About 40 USD.  It's held up quite well over the last 4 years or so, and it weighs about a pound.  Makes for a nice walking stick when hiking, too.

Gordon Buck

• LightDescription
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 09:55:54 am »

Quote from: httivals
I'd probably leave it on, but I'm also interested in others' views.  I've mistakenly left it on with the G10 mounted on a tripod and didn't notice any degradation, although I know the better practice is to turn it off.  But on a monopod, you're almost certainly going to have "some" movement that can still be stabilized.

With my G9, I made comparative photos with the G9 on a tripod.  I used both long and short exposures and IS on and off.  I could not tell the difference between IS on and off when tripod mounted.
Gordon
 [url=http://lightdescription.blog

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 12:42:50 pm »

Here is a cheap and lightweight (370 g) chinese monopod from a european mail order shop (also available via Ebay). Nothing special, but it works.
http://www.foto-walser.biz/shop/Artikel/57...sic_Monopod.htm

joneil

• This is what beer does to you....
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 02:22:30 pm »

I've used a couple of monopods, but lately my favourite is the Gitzo Mountianeer.   I have not used the new Manfrotto, or even seen one, so i do not know how the two couple compare head on, but the Gitzo is lightweight and doubles as a handy walking stick when hiking through the bush on trails.  Your mileage may vary.

As for image stabilization (or VR - vibration reduction for us Nikon fans   ), I always, always leave it on even if using a monopod or tripod.  It can make a difference (positive one)  even in those circumstances.

marcmccalmont

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 03:52:14 pm »

Has any one tried the monopods where the bottom spreads to a tripod so you could occasionally use the tripod function?
Marc
Marc McCalmont

httivals

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 05:06:10 pm »

Do you know the model number of the Gitzo Mountaineer monpod that is your favorite?  Thanks,

Quote from: joneil
I've used a couple of monopods, but lately my favourite is the Gitzo Mountianeer.   I have not used the new Manfrotto, or even seen one, so i do not know how the two couple compare head on, but the Gitzo is lightweight and doubles as a handy walking stick when hiking through the bush on trails.  Your mileage may vary.

As for image stabilization (or VR - vibration reduction for us Nikon fans   ), I always, always leave it on even if using a monopod or tripod.  It can make a difference (positive one)  even in those circumstances.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 05:25:05 pm »

Quote from: marcmccalmont
Has any one tried the monopods where the bottom spreads to a tripod so you could occasionally use the tripod function?
Marc

Yes.  I keep it in my car as a truncheon.

To get a feel for how useless such a device is take a normal tripod.  Do not extend the legs.  Now attach a broom handle to the top of it and your camera on top of that.  See how well it works.

Bronislaus Janulis

• http://bronislaus.com
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 06:13:25 pm »

I have the Gitzo 2560T, purchased for its very compact size. With a RRS BH-25 ballhead, it still fits in my shoulder bag, and is capable of handling my DSLR with my biggest lens, as well as my G9. (I'm holding out for the G11, the one with the snow shoveling feature). Even though it has six legs, it is easy and fast to open , lock and adjust, and with a ball head I have a lot more adjustment as to placement of camera and bracing the pod foot against something, like my foot, etc. It usually sits under the front seat of my car, where it can do duty as a truncheon, though unlike DP, mine mostly is a very nice monopod. Recommended, though expensive, but the smallest I could find at the time., and the small size was important. I don't think you need the same strength as a tripod in a monopod.

I asked Canon about the IS for my G9, and they said on a tripod it wouldn't matter, so just leave it on. Might help on a monopod, but I've done no testing.

Since I'm now using the G9 more than the big DSLR, I just recently got a small, compact tripod for use with it. (The Gitzo 1257 seemed, overkill). After much research, you know the routine, I concluded that on small tripods, there was very little difference in weight and capacity between aluminum and carbon fiber, though a huge price difference, so I tried Giottos, their MT 9241. I am very impressed with the finish and the quality. Highly recommended. This may be sacriligeous, but I wished I'd tried the Giottos before I spent the big bucks on the Gitzo tripod.

httivals

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 12:35:05 am »

I ended up getting a Manfrotto 676B Digi, which is an excellent, light tripod, and costs of all $35 (shipping included from Amazon prime).  For a hide, there's no doubt that the swivel head is much more convenient than a ball head (tried my ball head while waiting for the swivel head to arrive.  Kirk sells the Manfrotto 3232 swivel head with arca swiss quick release for a bout $80.  Whole package is ab out $120, about  1 1/2 lbs, folds up to 19", and works great.  And I'd say it gives me at least 2 stops more freedom than just using the G10 with IS alone.

sumowondertoad

• http://www.scottstory.com
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 05:14:31 am »

I've also been using the Bogen 676B Digi Monopod.  I screwed on a Bogen 482 Mini Ball Head and it works really, really well.  In total, I spent about $70.  I tested out many different models of both Bogen and Gitzo.  Of course, the carbon fiber Gitzo was sweet, and really, really expensive.  I just couldn't feel that much difference between the $35 mini monopod and the carbon fiber ones (though the expensive ones did collapse down more).

I do like the idea of a monopod that extends with a single lever and a small foot rest, but in all honesty, extending the Bogen 676B is very quick and easy.  I normally walk with it extended and it can hold some of my weight when I use it as a hiking stick.

If you're looking for more choices for a monopod, you should also check out some walking sticks at outdoor stores as many of them have a standard tripod screw in the top (which you can use alone or with the Bogen Mini Ball Head or another small head that accepts the standard tripod screw.)

Photostudent

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 05:18:57 am »

Quote from: httivals
Michael Reichman's review of the Manfrotto 685B Monopod was well timed for me -- I was just starting to think about getting a very lightweight tripod or monopod for my G10.  It's really the camera that I want to take everywhere with me; the image quality in raw is excellent and I'm learning to love the camera more and more.

The Manfrotto 685B is too large and heavy for what I want.  I'm trying to decide between the Gitzo 2540 or the 2561T.  The main differences being that the 2540 only folds down to about 19" vs. 14" for the 2561T, and the 2561T has 6 legs vs. 4.  I am leaning towards the 2540.

I will use the monopod 85%+ of the time with the Canon G10 and a Bogen swivel claim and RRS QR system, as shown on the really right stuff website.  Maybe 15% or less of the time, I might put my Canon 5D and a 24-105mm lens on it, or the 5D with a prime. . . .

Any advice/comparisons between the two? I'm wondering how easy is it to carry the 2540 around with you all day when you're traveling, hiking or just out and about, vs. the 2561T, which is quite a bit smaller. . . I'm also thinking that the six sections of the 2561T is a excessive. . .

You can try 334B from manfrotto or the compact 559 from manfrotto

Photostudent

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 05:21:25 am »

Quote from: marcmccalmont
Marc

You mean self standing monopo???

Thr was one by manfrotto , its called 682B.... not sure still available or not
Pages: [1]   Go Up