Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing B&W jpegs.  (Read 2138 times)

jrgoldman9

Importing B&W jpegs.
« on: November 20, 2008, 12:05:19 pm »

I'm a LR2 newbie.  When I import B&W jpegs from the computer, not the camera, they appear as color images.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,   Jay

Nat Coalson

• http://www.NatCoalson.com/
Importing B&W jpegs.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 08:20:40 pm »

How did you make them BW? You might just need to save out the metadata for LR to recognize the previous edits.

To do this, go into the previous software (Bridge/ACR, etc.) and Save.

Then, when importing to LR, your metadata edits will be respected.
Nathaniel Coalson
Author of [url=http://

jrgoldman9

Importing B&W jpegs.
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 10:53:04 pm »

I shot raw + B&W jpeg in the camera.  They show up as B&W in Bridge.  If it is going to take work for every image just to see it in B&W in LR, then my workflow will just be too slow. I may just use LR for organizing with keywords and use ACR and PS for processing.

Tklimek

Importing B&W jpegs.
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 11:51:51 pm »

This seems really bizarre.  I don't mean to sound silly, but are you sure it is importing the JPG and not the raw into LR?  I *think* that if you chose the BW in-camera, that the RAW file would still be in color; which could explain why if you thought you were importing the JPG but LR was really pulling in the RAW file that it shows up in color.  As far as I know (and I'm really still a novice), once a JPG is baked...it is baked.

I'm interested in hearing the answer when you find it, this is a perplexing one!

Cheers....

Todd in Chicago

Quote from: jrgoldman9
I shot raw + B&W jpeg in the camera.  They show up as B&W in Bridge.  If it is going to take work for every image just to see it in B&W in LR, then my workflow will just be too slow. I may just use LR for organizing with keywords and use ACR and PS for processing.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Importing B&W jpegs.
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 05:57:36 am »

You're seeing the raw files, and LR doesn't understand Nikon's proprietary b&w setting in the raw file. Look at Preferences > Import, Treat JPEGs as separate files.

John

jrgoldman9

Importing B&W jpegs.
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 09:00:57 am »

I had not checked the box that said to treat jpegs next to raw as separate files.  Everything is ok now.  Thanks for the help.

Pages: [1]   Go Up