Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Laptop with DVI-D out  (Read 4505 times)

NigelC

Laptop with DVI-D out
« on: November 20, 2008, 09:42:34 am »

My oldish Acer laptop connects to an ACD 23" via DVI. New Windows laptops don't seem to have this connection and I don't want to use a signal degrading VGA to DVI converter.
I do like Mac Book Pro, lot more than Vista, but more expensive than  equivalent Win and causes a lot of complications with existing peripherals/software. It was suggested to me that a docking station mght have a DVI-D out and connect straight into the laptops graphics chip. Anyone know if this is true, e.g Dell, Sony Vaio,HP?

jani

• Øyet
Laptop with DVI-D out
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 10:01:48 am »

Quote from: NigelC
My oldish Acer laptop connects to an ACD 23" via DVI. New Windows laptops don't seem to have this connection and I don't want to use a signal degrading VGA to DVI converter.
That's strange.

Many laptops either have DVI or HDMI connectors. HDMI is DVI-compatible, and using a HDMI-DVI converter does not degrade the signal (though you lose audio).

The following manufacturers offer laptops with HDMI connectors. There are probably others who offer either HDMI or DVI, too.

Acer
Asus
Dell
Fujitsu-Siemens
HP
Lenovo
LG
MSI
Sony
Toshiba
Zepto
Jan

NigelC

Laptop with DVI-D out
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 12:46:01 pm »

Quote from: jani
That's strange.

Many laptops either have DVI or HDMI connectors. HDMI is DVI-compatible, and using a HDMI-DVI converter does not degrade the signal (though you lose audio).

The following manufacturers offer laptops with HDMI connectors. There are probably others who offer either HDMI or DVI, too.

Acer
Asus
Dell
Fujitsu-Siemens
HP
Lenovo
LG
MSI
Sony
Toshiba
Zepto

I really didn't know that you could use the HDMI output - thanks for that. However, I wonder whether with a more modern graphics card than my ATI Radeon X700, you can set the ACD reolution separately from the laptop screeen and put the image on one and the pallettes on the other. This is one of the attractions of the MacBook Pro.My current set up is a bit clunky, I have to select the external monitor on its own to get its native resolution (1900x1200) .

BFoto

• Brad's blog
Laptop with DVI-D out
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 11:45:54 am »

From the research i've been doing lately for a new laptop almost all the big manufacturers and especially the higher ended spec PC have this. I have NEC 2690 that i currently use with the VGA to DVI and it sucks compared to when i switch it to my wifes' Mac book pro.

Pages: [1]   Go Up