Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: formula for canvas length shrinkage  (Read 1480 times)

mellencm

formula for canvas length shrinkage
« on: November 19, 2008, 08:58:02 pm »

Somebody had posted the question about experiencing canvas shrinking in length, and since I can't find that post again, I'm starting a new thread.

For some strange reason, when I am printing on canvas on Epsons (and maybe others, I don't know) the length ends up printing shorter than the file size. The width does not change.

I found this formula for compensating on one of the forums years ago, and it has served me well:

multiply the desired length by 1.0065.

Ellen

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
formula for canvas length shrinkage
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 11:34:42 pm »

Actually from what I have been able to determine, it's not a shinkage issue, but instead a feed issue.  The Epson's have trouble determining the correct feed speed on all Canvas and this creates
the issue of a short print on the running length.

Epson has now actually agreed that it is an issue.  In their latest Canvas Data sheets, you will see that they say to adjust the paper feed adjustment to account for this.  I have found that their suggested settings for their canvas also work pretty close for the canvas I use.

Premier Art also has some data on this for Epsons.  

I have never been totally successfull with the method of using  addition to the length, never seems to come out right.  However I can get very close (NOT) exact with the paper feed adjustment.
On the 9880 7880 9800 7800 for most canvas you need to adjust the paper adjustment +50.  This usually gets me to within a 1/16 of an inch on the length.  
This is with Breathing Color Chromata White or Lexjet Sunset Glossy Canvas.  

With a mirror gallery wrap, it's a big issue, not as much an issue when you are not mirroring for your wrap.

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 11:38:05 pm by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up