Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How-to: Historic digital backs  (Read 17618 times)

PatrikR

• http://www.patrikraski.com
How-to: Historic digital backs
« on: November 19, 2008, 03:40:50 am »

Hi!

This is purely for fun and hobby but does anybody know what is needed for making Sinarcam 1 and Leaf DCB 2 live work? Is it even possible?

I have the following equipment:
Sinarcam, the only numbers on the body are 8051
Leaf DCB II Live digital back
Expolux power supply RS-232 (522.21.046)
Digital DB mount lenses with chips
Aperture motor and cable
Sinar P2

What I don't have:
RS 232 cable
Expolux Connecting Cable (522.21.021)

Questions:
1) What is the cable that hook's up to the rear of Leaf DCB II Live? Looks like SCSI cable but does it need a special card? I don't have the card or the cable but I do have a Atto SCSI in my Mac Pro...
2) What version of software is required for the setup?

Like said this is for hobby and fun but I would appreciate any help.
Patrik Raski - Espoo, Finland

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 03:51:58 am »

Hi Patrick,

From memory the Leaf DCBII has a power supply which plugged in to the connector you describe.

...and I think then the Power Supply connected to the Mac, but it wasn't SCSI... I think an earlier technology?

Does that Leaf back need the filter wheel as well?

Here we go....

http://www.promarketinc.com/pdf/scitexleafdcbiilive.pdf

Yes, you need a NuBus!  Not sure where you would find one of them, unless on a really old Mac!

Good luck! It was the first digital camera I used on a Fuji GX680.

Best,

David
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

PatrikR

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 04:10:52 am »

Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
Hi Patrick,

From memory the Leaf DCBII has a power supply which plugged in to the connector you describe.

...and I think then the Power Supply connected to the Mac, but it wasn't SCSI... I think an earlier technology?

Does that Leaf back need the filter wheel as well?

Here we go....

http://www.promarketinc.com/pdf/scitexleafdcbiilive.pdf

Yes, you need a NuBus!  Not sure where you would find one of them, unless on a really old Mac!

Good luck! It was the first digital camera I used on a Fuji GX680.

Best,

David

I actually have a Nubus PowerMac in my garage. And the filter wheel is inside Sinarcam.

Usually I'm not a terrible pack rat but this got me going... I tried to Google it up but I haven't been able to find any valuable information. I even found some old Sinar brochures but Sinar "conveniently" displays all their setups without the cables. But if anybody remembers it would be great.

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 04:18:00 am »

Patrick,

I will try to find some old documentation, but not sure if still available.
Let me some time.

Best regards,
Thierry

Quote from: PatrikR
I actually have a Nubus PowerMac in my garage. And the filter wheel is inside Sinarcam.

Usually I'm not a terrible pack rat but this got me going... I tried to Google it up but I haven't been able to find any valuable information. I even found some old Sinar brochures but Sinar "conveniently" displays all their setups without the cables. But if anybody remembers it would be great.
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

PatrikR

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 04:27:07 am »

Quote from: thsinar
Patrick,

I will try to find some old documentation, but not sure if still available.
Let me some time.

Best regards,
Thierry

Very kind of you Thierry. Hopefully you'll find something...

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 04:36:25 am »

our product manager will look what he can find, but asked me to be patient until friday, being much busy today and tomorrow.

Thierry

Very kind of you Thierry. Hopefully you'll find something...
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

David WM

• http://
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 06:59:53 am »

Patrick, I still have my old DCBII (previous model to the live) on a shelf. I imagine the set up with the power supply is the same. The cable connects the back with the mac and the power supply. You need a PCI card in the mac, it is made by Leaf. The cable is also special by Leaf. The card needs to match the vintage of Mac you have, ie an early model card may not go with a G3 or G4.
David

lance_schad

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 09:37:31 am »

Quote from: David WM
Patrick, I still have my old DCBII (previous model to the live) on a shelf. I imagine the set up with the power supply is the same. The cable connects the back with the mac and the power supply. You need a PCI card in the mac, it is made by Leaf. The cable is also special by Leaf. The card needs to match the vintage of Mac you have, ie an early model card may not go with a G3 or G4.
David

The card that will need to go in the Mac is a Differential SCSI card. ATTO was the supplier of these.
Ah this is bringing back memories!
L

Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
Direct: 305-534-5701 x1 | Cell: 305-394-3196
Capture Integration
LANCE SCHAD - DIGITAL TRANSITIONS

edwinb

• http://www.image2output.com
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 10:15:28 am »

Quote from: lance_schad
The card that will need to go in the Mac is a Differential SCSI card. ATTO was the supplier of these.
Ah this is bringing back memories!
L

Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
Direct: 305-534-5701 x1 | Cell: 305-394-3196
Capture Integration
We have a few old bits in a draw if your missing anything specific let me know details by email and I'll check
Edwin
Edwin Blenkinsopp
Technical Manager
image2output
m:  +44 (0) 7836 674749
e: edwin@image2output.com
w: Sinar |  Foba |Inkjet

PatrikR

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 11:28:30 am »

Quote from: edwinb
We have a few old bits in a draw if your missing anything specific let me know details by email and I'll check
Edwin
Wonderful Edwin!

Lance, I have a Attotech UltraSCSI 320 UL5D card in my MacPro. It's a low voltage differential card (whatever that may mean). If I can find the correct cable from the Leaf DCB 2 Live to my SCSI card I can proceed to the next step. Maybe they are downward compatible... but who knows...

Edwin if you have that cable let me know the dollars. Keep in mind there's the financial crisis taking place now.  

Cfranson

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 11:55:54 am »

Lance, I have a Attotech UltraSCSI 320 UL5D card in my MacPro. It's a low voltage differential card (whatever that may mean). If I can find the correct cable from the Leaf DCB 2 Live to my SCSI card I can proceed to the next step. Maybe they are downward compatible... but who knows...
The DCB2/DCB2 Live are definitely not SCSI devices. Only the original DCB used SCSI, and it was what's now known as High Voltage Differential. Don't try connecting the DCB2 to your Atto card; you will damage something, and I am not sure which part that would be. Atto has not made the appropriate SCSI card in years, and never in PCI-Express.
The DCB2 used a proprietary "Taxi" board from Leaf and was never available for even the Power Mac G5. You won't be able to use this back with a Mac Pro at all.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 11:56:47 am by Cfranson »

DavidP

• papas.com
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 12:31:44 pm »

I used to use a Dicomed Big Shot with a sinar shutter and filter wheel, kind of ahead of it's time at 16mg pixels. But with the scsi cable you had to move the camera two feet and then roll the computer behind it. It had a lot of flaws but took nice pictures in the studio. Like a lot of those old cameras, you needed a serial port for the shutter control and was OS9 only.

yaya

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 12:56:51 pm »

Partik,

The card you are after is a PCI-I type part No. 503C2L074S and shoud work in in old Grey or Blue G3 Macs and OS 9 or a NuBus Interface board part No. 612B10015

Your ATTO card won't fit in an old Mac.

You'll also need the main power+communication cable that connects the back to the PS unit: 510K51164 (that's the one that looks like SCSI)

Then there's the PS unit for the back: 209A00010

The last version that supported the DCBII LIVE was LeafCapture 7.0 but I think this only worked with the Leaf FilterWheel and the SinarCam I but I'm not sure about the Expolux ontroller.

Some of our dealers may still carry bits and pieces and maybe Thierry and Edwin can help with the Sinar bits.

You can try Photo Universal in Stuttgart, Germany ask for Peter Kleiber p.kleiber@photouniversal.de +49.711.957.6012

Enjoy (or just trade it in for a new Aptus or whatever....)

Yair

PatrikR

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 01:34:30 pm »

Quote from: Cfranson
The DCB2/DCB2 Live are definitely not SCSI devices. Only the original DCB used SCSI, and it was what's now known as High Voltage Differential. Don't try connecting the DCB2 to your Atto card; you will damage something, and I am not sure which part that would be. Atto has not made the appropriate SCSI card in years, and never in PCI-Express.
The DCB2 used a proprietary "Taxi" board from Leaf and was never available for even the Power Mac G5. You won't be able to use this back with a Mac Pro at all.
Great... TAXI, I read a little more... The TAXI Direct-to-Disk interface was developed for original use in capturing data from instrumentation on a test stand in a NASA rocket-testing facility. http://www.techbriefs.com/content/view/3042/32/

So you mean that if I can't find a special Leaf card and cable I'm out of luck... I have a PowerMac 9500/132 from 1996 or so with PCI boards. But usually the PCI cards work with newer machines too. It's kind of sad to realize that camera technology from just a decade ago can be so obsolete. Where is this gonna take me to?

PatrikR

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 02:09:13 pm »

Quote from: yaya
Partik,

The card you are after is a PCI-I type part No. 503C2L074S and shoud work in in old Grey or Blue G3 Macs and OS 9 or a NuBus Interface board part No. 612B10015

Your ATTO card won't fit in an old Mac.

You'll also need the main power+communication cable that connects the back to the PS unit: 510K51164 (that's the one that looks like SCSI)

Then there's the PS unit for the back: 209A00010

The last version that supported the DCBII LIVE was LeafCapture 7.0 but I think this only worked with the Leaf FilterWheel and the SinarCam I but I'm not sure about the Expolux ontroller.

Some of our dealers may still carry bits and pieces and maybe Thierry and Edwin can help with the Sinar bits.

You can try Photo Universal in Stuttgart, Germany ask for Peter Kleiber p.kleiber@photouniversal.de +49.711.957.6012

Enjoy (or just trade it in for a new Aptus or whatever....)

Yair

Thanks Yair,

This is how I believe it works.

Expolux RS 232 power supply powers the Sinarcam 1 which gives power to the back and DB mount lenses via an aperture motor (a special Sinar part).

The system is controlled by an RS 232 cable from the Expolux RS power supply, which also triggers the flash units. This system has nothing to do with the Expolux shutter system that was also a Sinar product and looked similar.

So the DCB 2 Live back attaches to the Sinarcam which is mounted on the Sinar P2 rear std. The digital lens is on front std and controlled by the aperture motor which is controlled by the Sinarcam.

The system is controlled by the serial cable from the computer (Mac). The data is delivered from the back to the computer thru another cable. The only suitable connector left is the SCSI lookalike cable.

A big thanks for everybody helping! Please keep up the info coming maybe somebody else can benefit from this someday.

Cfranson

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 02:09:20 pm »

Great... TAXI, I read a little more... The TAXI Direct-to-Disk interface was developed for original use in capturing data from instrumentation on a test stand in a NASA rocket-testing facility. http://www.techbriefs.com/content/view/3042/32/
No, that isn't the same taxi system at all.

So you mean that if I can't find a special Leaf card and cable I'm out of luck... I have a PowerMac 9500/132 from 1996 or so with PCI boards. But usually the PCI cards work with newer machines too. It's kind of sad to realize that camera technology from just a decade ago can be so obsolete. Where is this gonna take me to?
Well, consider that this is a 2048x2048 digital back from pretty much the earliest days of digital imaging.  The DCB2 card would work fine in the 9500. We once had boxes of these things around here but have long since disposed of them.
Frankly, I don't think it's worth the effort to make it work at this point.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 02:09:51 pm by Cfranson »

PatrikR

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 02:29:24 pm »

Quote from: Cfranson
Frankly, I don't think it's worth the effort to make it work at this point.

You are so right but it's kind of fun. Besides this is a perfect gear head pass time... I haven't really spend much money for any of these parts. Got the DCB 2 Live from the ex Sinar dealer here in Finland and the rest came from friends and some parts are still very much in use like the lenses and my P2s. Besides all these parts are like new.

I just think that Sinar makes/has made the nicest cameras ever with all their ultra exotic and cool systems. It's like the rockets but less dangerous and like said for a hobby this can be very interesting. If you come by any of these cards please let me know.

yaya

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 12:18:02 pm »

You are so right but it's kind of fun. Besides this is a perfect gear head pass time... I haven't really spend much money for any of these parts. Got the DCB 2 Live from the ex Sinar dealer here in Finland and the rest came from friends and some parts are still very much in use like the lenses and my P2s. Besides all these parts are like new.

I just think that Sinar makes/has made the nicest cameras ever with all their ultra exotic and cool systems. It's like the rockets but less dangerous and like said for a hobby this can be very interesting. If you come by any of these cards please let me know.

Patrik,

It looks like from this point on you will have to start spending money on bits and pieces and this still won't insure that the system is OK as you may have faulty items there...

To the point: We now have a special "end of year" promotion for users of old Leaf backs who are on a budget but would like to bring their setup forward so that it works with all the new software, operating systems, cameras etc.

To trade the old DCBII in for a refurbished Aptus 22 is just under 6,500 EURO and you get 1 year warranty. You can keep the P2 and sell all the other, irrelevant items. You will then need a Graflok adapter or a sliding back for mounting the Aptus on the P2 and also an original rear frame. The lenses can be mounted into copal shutters.

For more information contact Fimeko and ask to speak to Jorma Teittenen or Sampo Valtonen

good luck

Yair

PatrikR

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 03:27:12 pm »

Well I have made some progress with my project... And thanks to this forum I have made it so far...

I can take pictures with the DCB 2 Live. It shoots and focus really nicely.
My setup is as follows:
-G4 800 Mhz Mac with System 9.2.2
-Leaf PCI Taxi board
-Leaf power supply
-Leaf DCB II Live/Sinarcam mounted on rear carrier of my Sinar P2
-Cable from DCB to Taxi board to the Leaf power supply
-Cable from Sinarcam to Aperture motor on Sinar P2 front standard
-Cable from Sinarcam to the Expolux RS-232 power supply
-RS232 USB adapter with driver from Expolux to G4
-LeafCapture 7.0 software on Mac
-Flash sync from the Expolux power supply (working perfectly)

I have one slight problem. I do not have software for the Sinarcam 1 and therefore cannot control the Sinarcam 1.

According to this document found on Sinar web site it seems that the Sinarcam needs it own software in order to change apperture or shutterspeed. Now I have only one shutterspeed and f/stop at my disposal.

Please can you help Thierry or Yaya or Edwin or anybody. I'm so close to getting the kit fully work.

I attached a screen shot of the problem LeafCapture states while connecting to the Sinarcam.

And thanks for all the help already provided.

Patrik

Cfranson

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 04:08:02 pm »

I have one slight problem. I do not have software for the Sinarcam 1 and therefore cannot control the Sinarcam 1.
Leaf Capture should control the Sinarcam without the need for additional software. This may be an issue with the USB-Serial port not being configured as it should. See what configuration options you have with that. What is the camera setup you have set in Leaf Capture?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up