Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS4 Colour Balance Adj Layer Problems  (Read 13169 times)

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
CS4 Colour Balance Adj Layer Problems
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2008, 03:05:37 pm »

Quote from: DiaAzul
Clicking on the image with the colour balance palette open in CS3 selects a measurement point for the colour palette (three horizontal bars). If you select what should be a neutral colour in the image (e.g. on a colour checker chart) then when you move the sliders in the colour balance dialogue  you can line up the markers on the bars in the colour palette to see when you have adjusted to a neutral tone.
Fair enough, not the way I'd colour correct, as I do that before even getting into PS.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
CS4 Colour Balance Adj Layer Problems
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2008, 05:44:27 pm »

Quote from: jjj
Again I think it's not knowing how to use new interface as opposed to interface not working.
You can drag layers to other documents in tabbed mode mode. You drag from the image [not the layers pallete] to the tab wait for it to change and drag to new document. And if you hold shift, it centres layer in new document and if you select multiple layers [in Layers Pallette], you can move them all in one go too.
Though it would be better if you could drag directly from the layers pallete, but it's still better than the mess of windows you previously had, particularly in OSX.
What mess? MDI child windows are not complicated to use on the PC. The tabbed interface is just a dumbed down version of MDI. Not being able to drag from the layers palette in tabbed mode is stupid. I have to click on layers palette anyway to make sure correct layer(s) are selected, why wouldn't I want to drag from there?

I thought the clumsy old way is still there if you didn't tabs. Just tried it on my PC and old windows are there and if I turn off the application frame on the Mac it goes back to the old messy interface.
It is not the same on the PC. The 'floating' windows in CS4 cover the entire screen when you maximize them, where as the windows in CS3 would maximize to fill the client area without covering up the menu or docked palettes. That's a pretty signficant difference.

I'd highly recommend fully learning the subtleties of new interface before criticizing it.
A video of how to use the new UI wpould be a very helpful addtion to any new editions of programmes, as these things are not always obvious and affect the processes many of us do stuff without concious thinking.
The new UI is not "subtler". It's dumbed down, and in some cases favors style over substance. I've been using CS4 regularly, in fact almost daily, since I originally wrote that post a month ago. My opinions about the tabbed windows and the adjustment palettes have not changed. Then there are the little things, such as the fact that you can no longer select-all and then modify the selection (say by contracting or feathering it). What UI subtlety am I missing that makes that a good thing?
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up