Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Print To File Question  (Read 1866 times)

Pindy

Print To File Question
« on: November 16, 2008, 11:18:59 pm »

In the #29 Print video, there is discussion about printing to a file and that JPEG is currently the only option. I have a fine art-quality printing lab I want to use that has good color management instructions and very stringent requirements. In their instructions, they have you save as a TIFF after a list of other requirements I can reproduce more easily in LR2 than in Photoshop (as they suggest).

My question is this: How much am I losing in real terms by instead printing to JPEG in LR2 at 100% and converting to TIFF (if they insist on it)?

My second question is: Why did Jeff print the contact sheet to a PDF? Does it bypass the JPEG limitation? I would imagine PDFs compress the bejeezus out of embedded photos.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 11:22:26 pm by Pindy »

Richowens

Print To File Question
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 01:29:57 am »

Pindy,

You can use the export option to output a tiff in the size you want with sharpening applied the same as the export to jpeg option in the print module.

Maybe that will work for you instead.

Rich

Tklimek

Print To File Question
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 11:13:19 am »

Very true Rich; unless Pindy is looking to capture things like borders, or multiple photos on a sheet; or anything that LR's print layout module would be able to provide.  When you export from LR to any format, you are simply exporting the image, and the not the layout (borders, text, etc.).

Cheers....

Todd

Quote from: Richowens
Pindy,

You can use the export option to output a tiff in the size you want with sharpening applied the same as the export to jpeg option in the print module.

Maybe that will work for you instead.

Rich

Pindy

Print To File Question
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 05:25:04 pm »

Quote from: Tklimek
Very true Rich; unless Pindy is looking to capture things like borders, or multiple photos on a sheet; or anything that LR's print layout module would be able to provide.  When you export from LR to any format, you are simply exporting the image, and the not the layout (borders, text, etc.).

Cheers....

Todd

Thanks for that answer, good to know. You guessed it though—I want to output, say, an 11x14 or 16x20 white page with a centered image. If I can eliminate the need to pad the image out to the dimensions of the paper, I'm gold it sounds like.

Pindy

Print To File Question
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 05:35:32 pm »

Just checked their web site and was surprised but delighted to see they've updated the site and are now allowing JPEGs and PNG files. Sing Hosannahs!
Pages: [1]   Go Up