Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profiling 101  (Read 1692 times)

Alistair

Profiling 101
« on: November 15, 2008, 05:23:07 pm »

I currently have an HPB9180 and Epson R1800 which I am wanting to compare the outputs from. I am using HP Advanced Glossy paper for the comparison (currently half price at Staples). I have created profiles for this paper for each printer. However when I produce prints using these respective profiles, the HP is quite close to the on-screen file and look superb while the Epson print is very yellow with a bit of green thrown in for good measure. Now I would have thought that the profiles would make the output from these  printers (in color terms) very close. Am I wrong? Any suggestions as to why the profile I made for the HP is pretty good while the Epson one sucks? I have redone the profile a couple of times but still the same overly warm result from the R1800. Could it be the GLOP perhaps, or is the Printfix Pro the problem, or is it that the Epson is not compatible at all with the HP paper and a profile cannot rectify this? (surely this could not be the case?) I must say though that the profile the Printfix produced for the HP is a lot better than HP's own profile for the Advanced Glossy paper. All and any contributions appreciated.
Alistair

jpegman

Profiling 101
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 06:46:20 pm »

I can't speak for the Printfix Pro, but I am using the HP Advanced Photo Glossy with my Epson R2880 and custom profiles made with the ColorMunki and they are dead on - better than the Epson Glossy profile for the R2880. So I think you're assumption is correct that the problem is probably not a compatibility issue with the HP paper, but somewhere else.

MorrieC

Profiling 101
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 01:11:13 am »

Quote from: Alistair
I currently have an HPB9180 and Epson R1800 which I am wanting to compare the outputs from. I am using HP Advanced Glossy paper for the comparison (currently half price at Staples). I have created profiles for this paper for each printer. However when I produce prints using these respective profiles, the HP is quite close to the on-screen file and look superb while the Epson print is very yellow with a bit of green thrown in for good measure. Now I would have thought that the profiles would make the output from these  printers (in color terms) very close. Am I wrong? Any suggestions as to why the profile I made for the HP is pretty good while the Epson one sucks? I have redone the profile a couple of times but still the same overly warm result from the R1800. Could it be the GLOP perhaps, or is the Printfix Pro the problem, or is it that the Epson is not compatible at all with the HP paper and a profile cannot rectify this? (surely this could not be the case?) I must say though that the profile the Printfix produced for the HP is a lot better than HP's own profile for the Advanced Glossy paper. All and any contributions appreciated.

You might want to check with David Miller, Senior Software Developer, Digital Color Solutions
Datacolor  

Follow this link to a post where you can ask your question I do not know is email address but this link should help find him.  http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat...thread=29951429

David seems to be very responsive on answering any questions.
Good Luck
MorrieC
Pages: [1]   Go Up