Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Scanner  (Read 13945 times)

Etienne Cassar

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 95
Which Scanner
« on: November 15, 2008, 05:01:34 AM »

Hi to all,
I am thinking of getting a flatbed scanner, but I am not sure which one to get.  I was looking at HP G4010 and the Microtek F1 scanners, but there seems to be quite a difference in price between the two of them.  I would be using the scanner mainly to scan documents, but am thinking of using it to scan 35mm negative films as well.
Any suggestions of which is currently the best scanner to get.

Thanks,

Etienne
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 05:02:37 AM by ecassar »
Logged

DarkPenguin

  • Guest
Which Scanner
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 10:36:46 AM »

No idea but when I was last considering such a device the Epson V700 and V750 seemed like the ones to look at.
Logged

uaiomex

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1162
    • http://www.eduardocervantes.com
Which Scanner
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 12:13:59 PM »

Rumors about eminent release of Epson V900, but that's it.
Eduardo

Quote from: DarkPenguin
No idea but when I was last considering such a device the Epson V700 and V750 seemed like the ones to look at.
Logged

vandevanterSH

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 625
Which Scanner
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 02:29:54 PM »

Quote from: uaiomex
Rumors about eminent release of Epson V900, but that's it.
Eduardo

http://www.ausmedia.com.au/Epson_V900_Photo_Scanner.htm
Logged

Etienne Cassar

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 95
Which Scanner
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 01:47:31 AM »

Thanks for your input.  I think that I'll go for the Epson V750 Pro model.  It seems to be the best scanner on the market right now and it is also the one used in the "from Camera to Print"  tutorial videos by Michael and Jeff.  Will let you know what I think about it when I get it, hopefully by the end of this week.
Thanks.

Etienne
Logged

Plekto

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 551
Which Scanner
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 02:52:27 PM »

I'd really consider waiting for the V900 though.  We should know more in a few weeks, if you can wait.  If not, the 750 isn't a bad piece of machinery, either.
Logged

jani

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1620
    • yet
Which Scanner
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 03:36:05 AM »

Quote from: Plekto
I'd really consider waiting for the V900 though.  We should know more in a few weeks, if you can wait.  If not, the 750 isn't a bad piece of machinery, either.
The V900 isn't even announced yet, so availability may be a bit difficult in the coming months.

Between the choice of vaporware and real, available products, I tend to purchase the latter, and I advise anyone who cannot wait for an undetermined amount of time to do the same.
Logged
Jan

Kevin Gallagher

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 402
    • http://
Which Scanner
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 05:07:53 AM »

Quote from: ecassar
Hi to all,
I am thinking of getting a flatbed scanner, but I am not sure which one to get.  I was looking at HP G4010 and the Microtek F1 scanners, but there seems to be quite a difference in price between the two of them.  I would be using the scanner mainly to scan documents, but am thinking of using it to scan 35mm negative films as well.
Any suggestions of which is currently the best scanner to get.

Thanks,

Etienne

 There's some good deals to be had on the Epsons now. B&H had the 750 for just over 600.00 plus two rebates totaling 100.00
Logged

tgphoto

  • Guest
Which Scanner
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 09:28:58 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Gallagher
There's some good deals to be had on the Epsons now. B&H had the 750 for just over 600.00 plus two rebates totaling 100.00

If I were in the same situation I'd take advantage of the discount pricing through B&H, plus the rebates, and invest the money saved into the following:

- Upgrade the bundled Silverfast Ai to the Studio Edition - multi-exposure, aaco, and some other nice features not included in the bundled version.
- Purchase a couple IT8 targets direct from Silverfast so you can properly calibrate the scanner.  The supplied ones don't work directly with Silverfast.
- Invest in Joseph Holmes' excellent Chrome Space 100 profile and its 29 variants.  Your color slides and negs will thank you for it.

Then, after you've done sufficient testing to determine the optimum film adjustment height, if you want/need to squeeze every last drop of performance out of this scanner, check out:

- Doug Fisher's BetterScanning variable height film holders and/or mounting station
- Experiment with wet mounting using either the KAMI kit from Aztek or the Lumina setup from ScanScience
Logged

Kirk Gittings

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1555
    • http://www.KirkGittings.com
Which Scanner
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 12:23:39 PM »

Quote from: ecassar
Thanks for your input.  I think that I'll go for the Epson V750 Pro model.  It seems to be the best scanner on the market right now and it is also the one used in the "from Camera to Print"  tutorial videos by Michael and Jeff.  Will let you know what I think about it when I get it, hopefully by the end of this week.
Thanks.

Etienne

Check out the Epson website for refurbs of the 750. I have generally had good luck with their refurbs (not including a recent 3800 that died the second time I turned it on).
Logged
Thanks,
Kirk

Kirk Gittings
Architecture and Landscape Photography
WWW.GITTINGSPHOTO.COM
LIGHT+SPACE+STRUCTURE (blog)

Etienne Cassar

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 95
Which Scanner
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 11:28:03 AM »

I recieved a new Epson V750 Pro scanner today and went off scanning my old 35mm negs straight away.  But no sooner did I realize that it is easier said than done, as always.  It is a superb scanner and I am impressed as to how much detail it can get out of such a small area of a 35mm neg. But this also means that any defects in the neg become really obvious, such as film grain, etc.  But my biggest concern at the moment is dust.  I got the problem as from the very first scan.  I am using a blower to try and remove it but it seems that all this is doing is getting the dust particles suspended in air only to settle again on the film or scanner a few seconds later.  Any idea of how to get rid of this dust.  And another thing.  Some of my negs have got some finger prints on them.  What is the best method to remove these fingerprints without risking to damage the negative.
Thanks all for your wonderful help

Etienne
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 11:50:07 AM by ecassar »
Logged

jani

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1620
    • yet
Which Scanner
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 05:48:30 AM »

Quote from: ecassar
I recieved a new Epson V750 Pro scanner today and went off scanning my old 35mm negs straight away.  But no sooner did I realize that it is easier said than done, as always.  It is a superb scanner and I am impressed as to how much detail it can get out of such a small area of a 35mm neg. But this also means that any defects in the neg become really obvious, such as film grain, etc.  But my biggest concern at the moment is dust.  I got the problem as from the very first scan.  I am using a blower to try and remove it but it seems that all this is doing is getting the dust particles suspended in air only to settle again on the film or scanner a few seconds later.  Any idea of how to get rid of this dust.  And another thing.  Some of my negs have got some finger prints on them.  What is the best method to remove these fingerprints without risking to damage the negative.
Try tuning the automatic dust reduction settings. They're actually quite good, at least in SilverFast Ai.
Logged
Jan

Etienne Cassar

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 95
Which Scanner
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 05:04:20 AM »

Does anyone know if the V750 Pro scanner should include a fluid mount with it.  I didn't find the fluid mount in mine and in the documentation included with the scanner there is no mention of it.  I asked Epson UK to check and they said that it is an optional accessory that I have to buy it separately.  Is this true?  I am not sure but it seems that the European version of the scanner doesn't include this mount, but the US version does.  Does anyone know if this is the case please?
Thanks

Etienne
Logged

jani

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1620
    • yet
Which Scanner
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 05:52:23 AM »

Quote from: ecassar
Does anyone know if the V750 Pro scanner should include a fluid mount with it.  I didn't find the fluid mount in mine and in the documentation included with the scanner there is no mention of it.  I asked Epson UK to check and they said that it is an optional accessory that I have to buy it separately.  Is this true?  I am not sure but it seems that the European version of the scanner doesn't include this mount, but the US version does.  Does anyone know if this is the case please?
The V750 my mother purchased here in Norway does not include a fluid mount. As far as I can recall, it shouldn't include it, either.
Logged
Jan

NigelC

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 542
Which Scanner
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 07:07:11 AM »

Quote from: jani
The V750 my mother purchased here in Norway does not include a fluid mount. As far as I can recall, it shouldn't include it, either.

I think in the UK it doesn't come with the Fluid Mount but you send off to Epson for it and it's free. See the photo-i site for CVincent's review: www.photo-i.co.uk
Logged

greggan

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10
Which Scanner
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 09:01:16 AM »

neil snape

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1408
    • http://www.neilsnape.com
Which Scanner
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 01:59:01 PM »

Interesting.

Now I've sold my drum scanner I should get one of these. After all Epson say the 900 is as good as drum scanners    


As for the fluid mount, no Epson never shipped a fluid mount. They have been third party. You could also fluid mount on the bed but the focus is higher than the film >
Logged

jerryrock

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 603
    • The Grove Street Photographer
Which Scanner
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 02:33:10 PM »

The Epson V750-M Pro version I purchased in the US does include the fluid mounting tray (fluid and mounting sheets not included).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 03:02:18 PM by jerryrock »
Logged
Gerald J Skrocki
gskrocki.wordpress.com

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14683
Which Scanner
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 03:57:29 PM »

I understand you want a flatbed - reminds me of Fords and The Eagles standing on a corner in a Winslow(?) Arizona - but for film, Id feel that a dedicated scanner might prove more satisfying in the long run...

Rob C

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14683
Which Scanner
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 03:57:59 PM »

Sorry, double post for some reason..

Rob C
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 03:58:53 PM by Rob C »
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up