Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: ObPhoto thread #1  (Read 9278 times)

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
ObPhoto thread #1
« on: November 15, 2008, 04:51:55 am »

Is this yet another recent works -type of thread? Almost. Please follow these three simple rules:

• Every post should have an "obligatory" photo - you can comment on other's work, but please post a photo of your own!
  • One photo per post
  • Please be civil in your comments
Below my obphoto. Taken in August on my trip to China, it is the new National Center for the Performing Arts in Beijing - better known as The Egg. The shot is a vertical 3-shot stitched panorama, each shot bracketed 5 times to take full control of the tough highlights, and to get rid of noise in deep evening shadows - combined in Tufuse and Autopano Pro.

DarkPenguin

ObPhoto thread #1
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 11:29:35 pm »

I'll play.  Somewhere in the back prairie of Richardson Nature Center.

[attachment=9722:MN.Richa...019.0147.jpg]

Richowens

ObPhoto thread #1
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 12:21:56 am »

I'll join in.

[attachment=9723:_DSC3847_Edit.jpg]

South Shore of Lake Tahoe California side.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
ObPhoto thread #1
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 01:39:52 am »

Sean McCormack has a short video over on Lightroomnews.com on making a triptych in Lightroom using one image.  Thought I'd try it with this image, shot about 15 years ago in southern Nebraska.

Mike.

Really like the first image in this thread, BTW...

[attachment=9724:Triptych.jpg]
If your mind is attuned t

Tony Beach

• http://imageevent.com/tonybeach/twelveimages
ObPhoto thread #1
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 02:34:39 am »

Click the image to see 800 pixels tall version:

I took this one two days ago.

oldcsar

ObPhoto thread #1
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 03:07:08 am »

Three Fly Agaric Mushrooms. BC, Canada. Canon G9, ISO 80, f/3.5, processed in LR 2.1.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 03:07:58 am by oldcsar »
Brendan Wiebe
 [url=http://smg.photobucke

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
ObPhoto thread #1
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 04:19:29 am »

An image from last year that I found the time to process recently.
[attachment=9731:20070725_6654_l.jpg]
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com

mattpallante

ObPhoto thread #1
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 02:27:19 pm »

[attachment=9733:_IGP2059...ndpoint_.jpg]

October in Ohio....

jani

• Øyet
ObPhoto thread #1
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 05:05:41 pm »

I really like the opening photo of the thread.

This one's from Stavern lighthouse, summer of 2007. The lighthouse is fully automated, and until the summer of 2007, it was rentable by employees of The Norwegian Meteorological Institute.

[attachment=9735:1804_Drain.jpg]
Jan

Tony Beach

ObPhoto thread #1
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 07:44:58 pm »

Quote from: jani
I really like the opening photo of the thread.

I also like it, it's verges on the abstract and shows great vision on Harri's part.

Now I have to add another image, so here goes:

See the 1024 pixel wide version by clicking the image.

This is an IR image taken from Sand Hill Rd. near the Stanford Linear Accelerator.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 07:45:55 pm by Tony Beach »

iancl

• http://www.iancoxleigh.com
ObPhoto thread #1
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 02:21:16 am »

My contribution is an image I recently stumbled across while going through my files. I didn't think I had come away with a good shot from Myer's Creek/Gold Bluffs Beach in Oregon when I was there in June. The shot for which I was trying the hardest certainly did NOT work out (my GND filter was scratched and it proved impossible to shoot into the sun without dozens of bits of flare -- and I don't know how to exposure blend effectively). I had slept in my car over night and set my alarm for sunrise. I arose to dense fog and took an obligatory, and casual, shot or two. It was one of these that I stumbled across recently and decided to work on. This is a bit of a draft in progress, but what the heck I'll share.

--

Tony, I love your second (IR) image. Great sky and lovely composition with the tree and branches twisting into the sky.

jani

• Øyet
ObPhoto thread #1
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 12:57:02 pm »

Quote from: iancl
My contribution is an image I recently stumbled across while going through my files. I didn't think I had come away with a good shot from Myer's Creek/Gold Bluffs Beach in Oregon when I was there in June. The shot for which I was trying the hardest certainly did NOT work out (my GND filter was scratched and it proved impossible to shoot into the sun without dozens of bits of flare -- and I don't know how to exposure blend effectively). I had slept in my car over night and set my alarm for sunrise. I arose to dense fog and took an obligatory, and casual, shot or two. It was one of these that I stumbled across recently and decided to work on. This is a bit of a draft in progress, but what the heck I'll share.
It's well worth sharing!

I generally like the composition, but I think it would look better if you got more of the foreground; the water mirror is a bit too close to the lower frame for my taste.

It might also work if you cropped off a bit of the left, creating more symmetry between the rock on the left and the hill on the right.

The contrasts are lovely, but it looks like you've over-cooked your local contrast adjustments, see the halo around the prominent rock on the left.

My next image is from the subway in Rome, taken on my InterRail trip this autumn. I'd decided to catch some typical graffiti from each city I visited, but sometimes I got something else than I was looking for.
[attachment=9772:7629_A_T..._I_Morti.jpg]
I'm a bit uncertain whether I should add more fill light (yes, I've tried), I'll try it in print first.
Jan

Tony Beach

ObPhoto thread #1
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 08:08:18 pm »

Quote from: iancl

Thank you Ian for your kind comment, I like that image quite a lot too.

What I like most about your image is the way you chose to crop it.  The extra wide framing adds to a sweeping quality and makes the foreground more effective.  The lighting was unfortunate, and speaks volumes to why catching all a scene has to offer requires either lots of opportunities, good luck, or both.

I rather like the square crop I chose for this shot:

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
ObPhoto thread #1
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 01:07:32 am »

I generally like the composition, but I think it would look better if you got more of the foreground; the water mirror is a bit too close to the lower frame for my taste.

I agree... if possible, a little more beach to add weight to the bottom of the image would be good.  A fine effort, though.  I really like the near symmetry and thus slight asymmetry of the image just above, too.

Finally, I've noticed that since people actually have to share their work in each post, this thread (so far) is much quieter!

Let's see now...

Something I came across in an alleyway the other day.  When I saw it I thought, "Cinderellas' Slipper?"

Mike.

[attachment=9782:IMG_4694.jpg]
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 01:08:06 am by wolfnowl »
If your mind is attuned t

marcmccalmont

ObPhoto thread #1
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 03:42:33 am »

Driving down Mauna Kea
Marc
[attachment=9783:_MG_0312...nt_Rouge.jpg]
Marc McCalmont

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
ObPhoto thread #1
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 04:12:11 pm »

Quote from: marcmccalmont
[attachment=9783:_MG_0312...nt_Rouge.jpg]
The clouds look very surreal in that shot, almost as if they were takenfrom above in a plane.

Been using my Ricoh GX200 for street stuff of late. Grown to reallly like the camera, bar the useless high ISO, heck even 200 is pushing it. So to speak!
I love having a 24mm wide lens on the zoom.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Tony Beach

ObPhoto thread #1
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 05:22:50 pm »

Quote from: jjj
I love having a 24mm wide lens on the zoom.

You must mean 24mm @ 135 format equivalent since that camera's actual focal lengths are:  5.1mm to 15.3mm.  I don't want to be a pedant, but 24mm is 24mm regardless of the format it is used on; although I agree that the wider field of view is useful.  BTW, I really like the use of the foreground in your shot; although I would have crouched lower to narrow the distance the road places between the explicit message and the implicit subject.

Speaking of focal lengths, this image was taken with a 50mm lens on DX format:

It seems a little bright on my monitor, but the print on my bedroom wall feels just right.

iancl

• http://www.iancoxleigh.com
ObPhoto thread #1
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 11:36:44 pm »

Thank you all very much for your constructive critiques.

I, unfortunately, have no more beach along the bottom to offer to you (the beach ran out there anyways and became grassy). I agree 100% with the haloing and I also find the vignette just a touch heavy and the detail in the rock faces a bit too suppressed (I said it was a work in progress).

I have posted a newer and much improved version in my portfolio on photo.net here: http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=8258145&size=lg .

---

jjj, I like your shot very much. The texture of the pavement comes out beautifully and the vignette adds a lot here (IMO). You toning is very compelling -- is it a blue/magenta split-tone? Lovely regardless. I have the GX100 and love the wideangle ability too. But, I can never seem to get in the habit of carrying a camera all the time and do not use it nearly enough.

---

Since I now must post another shot, I will give you guys the best of the night before. It is a bit pedestrian, but pretty nonetheless.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
ObPhoto thread #1
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 02:44:49 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
Something I came across in an alleyway the other day.  When I saw it I thought, "Cinderellas' Slipper?"

Mike.

[attachment=9782:IMG_4694.jpg]
Lovely photo Mike. This one and Tony Beach's remind me how much I love black and white. One day there will be time to do some......
Cheers, David. Oh, and a scaup from a month or so ago[attachment=9797:__186.jpg]

mattpallante

ObPhoto thread #1
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 05:16:30 pm »

I was passing through Letchworth park in New York on my way to see a brother in MA. I had stopped to shoot the Genessee river and falls. When I headed back to the car I found that a Packard and classic car outing had stopped to park!

[attachment=9799:the400blue.jpeg]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up