Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Life with the Canon G10  (Read 6941 times)

Blair Bunting

Life with the Canon G10
« on: November 14, 2008, 04:56:00 pm »

I recently took the G10 along with me to shoot stuff away from set while I was in Dutch Harbor, Alaska.  I am not going to say anything about quality, or bells and whistles as Michael has done a very good job of that already in his review (and as always it is very accurate in my opinion).  What I will say is this, The G10 is a camera that is more of and extension of artistic expression than a piece of gear.  Whether or not it compares to DSLR bodies is a moot point, for this is a camera that exists souly to grab what you eye sees.  With that said...

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Life with the Canon G10
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 05:07:31 pm »

Some nice work there... thanks for sharing them!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

DarkPenguin

Life with the Canon G10
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 05:10:08 pm »

Love your stuff.  I suspect you could take a great photo with a box of fruit loops.

Dansk

Life with the Canon G10
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 09:35:20 pm »

Nice work. Love the back lit person

JohnKoerner

Life with the Canon G10
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 11:38:41 am »

Those are wonderful.

The obvious enthusiasm people have for the G10 is unmistakable ... and your photos sure help illustrate why.

I like the textures in the first photo especially ...

Plekto

Life with the Canon G10
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 08:06:36 pm »

I like the 5th one - the slightly de-saturated look is nice.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Life with the Canon G10
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 09:38:05 pm »

I've had mine for just over a week and can't get used to it - just doesn't feel right compared to a SLR.  Nice pics from it but I don't see anything fundamentally different.

stevesanacore

Life with the Canon G10
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 04:04:18 pm »

I went and picked up  a G10 to replace my G9. I have to say that I wish Michael would have been a bit more critical of it's performance at anything above ISO 80.  I took some shots at ISO 200 and they are horribly noisy. My 1D at ISO 1600 would have looked ten times better. I was very disappointed to say the least.  At ISO 80 the images are great but forget it at any other setting. Just goes to show you need to test cameras for yourself.

Great upgrade to the G9 in many ways, but useless as a substitute for an SLR in low light for me.

We don't know what we don't know.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Life with the Canon G10
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 04:14:54 pm »

I totally agree.  I have already sold mine to a client that just needed a camera for indoor stuff.

brianrpatterson

• http://www.brianrpatterson.com
Life with the Canon G10
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 10:07:48 pm »

And the search for the perfect point-and-shoot continues. Next...
Brian Patterson[/color

httivals

Life with the Canon G10
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 10:37:28 pm »

I disagree with the alleged noise problems on the G10.  At iso 200 it's still great, and at iso 400 it's very very good.  Are you shooting raw and turning off all noise reduction in DPP?  Then you can do more subtle noise correction in noise ninja.  Once the G10 raw files are supported by Lightroom and DXO (which has the best noise reduction  I've used), this will be an almost perfect retractable lens digital camera.  . . . . At least for me, I've found, just about the perfect point and shoot (though that's not how I use it), it's the G10.  A perfect compliment to my 5D.

Paul Sumi

Life with the Canon G10
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 01:27:59 pm »

For what it's worth Phil Askey just published his G10 review on DPReview:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong10/

The review shows that there is a lot to like about the camera but gave the G10 a "Recommended" on the basis of IQ (increasing noise above base ISO) and cost (close to some low-end DSLR bodies).

I own and like this camera a lot (as a complement to my DSLRs) but believe that using ISOs much over 200 is pretty much a last resort.  Obviously IMO, YMMV.

Paul
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 01:53:20 pm by PaulS »

dalethorn

Life with the Canon G10
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 04:38:40 pm »

Quote from: JohnKoerner
.....I like the textures in the first photo especially ...
Textures is the thought that hit me with several of those photos. Very nice set.

bryanpereira

Life with the Canon G10
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 04:43:02 pm »

interesting views, I was torn between the G10 and Lumix LX3. There are a ton of comparisons but this one is really good:

http://www.bythom.com/compactchallenge.htm

Im going with the G10 a bunch of vendors are alos giving away a free canon photo printer with it (i wonder if my nikon friends will still talk to me)

my main reason for the G10 was some concerns that the LX3 barrel distortion and really crummy RAW processing software will slow down the workflow and make the camera stictly a landscape only product.
Pages: [1]   Go Up