Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Panasonic G1...is it needed?  (Read 15479 times)

lensfactory

Panasonic G1...is it needed?
« on: November 13, 2008, 03:39:03 pm »

Seeing as MR has a picture taken with one, and that they are starting to ship ($800), i'm curious what you all think...

I have the Olympus e-420 w/25mm pancake lens and enjoy a DSLR in such a small size/combo.
I don't see any advantage to the G1...as I understand it, it is not any smaller then the e-420 and still has a smaller sized sensor. It is my feeling, that despite all the technical specs/ details of various 'engines' etc etc...it mostly comes down to sensor size...no?

Why would I pay $200 more for this over the e-420?

I DO like the fully articulated LCD screen and wish all the DSLR's would have this (now that they all have liveview). I think for most of us, we'd be using liveview on a DSLR when the camera is in an 'awkward' vantage point...precisely the time an articulated screen would be handy.

This seems similiar to the Sony R1 that came out years ago...A limited use camera with good IQ. Perhaps if you need a 'quiet' camera, but other than that...too big for a P&S and limited functionality over a DSLR.

Will have to get dwon to the shop and try it for myself.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 04:20:29 pm »

The lenses are a lot smaller.  You'll be able to use them on even smaller future cameras (such as the oly that was shown at photokina).

The E-420 isn't interesting to me but I'm leaning towards buying a G1.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 04:22:16 pm »

Quote from: lensfactory
It is my feeling, that despite all the technical specs/ details of various 'engines' etc etc...it mostly comes down to sensor size...no?
The sensor in the G1 is the same size as that in the E-420.

Er1kksen

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 04:32:22 pm »

Fortunately, that's not the case at all. The sensor found in the G1 is the same size as that in the E-420, but the mirror-box and prism have been eliminated, allowing for a shorter lens-to-sensor distance, and as a result, smaller and lighter lenses.

As a result of the very advanced new contrast-detect AF system and the high-quality, fast EVF, the G1 has all the same capabilities as a DSLR except for in a few specific situations, and more capability than a similar SLR in a few specific situations.

lensfactory

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 04:42:47 pm »

So it seems $200 more for ...er...quiet operation? Will DOF be affected by the shorter distance between sensor and lens? The acchilles heel of P&S cameras is their inability to shoot with a shallow DOF.
Bet these new 'smaller' and 'lighter' lenses will cost 'more money' than their slightlylarger,heavier counterparts. Doesn't seem a very big jump...
Perhaps the Oly version will be small enough to warrant me buying this system...

Er1kksen

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 05:08:27 pm »

So it seems $200 more for ...er...quiet operation? Will DOF be affected by the shorter distance between sensor and lens? The acchilles heel of P&S cameras is their inability to shoot with a shallow DOF.
Bet these new 'smaller' and 'lighter' lenses will cost 'more money' than their slightlylarger,heavier counterparts. Doesn't seem a very big jump...
Perhaps the Oly version will be small enough to warrant me buying this system...

dof is a function of the focal length and shooting aperture of the lens, so no. The dof for a 25mm f1.4 on this camera will be exactly the same as the dof of a 25mm 1.4 on the E-420. As far as imaging characteristics go, it makes more sense to think of this camera as a DSLR without a mirror box, rather than a p+s with interchangeable lenses. p+s with interchangeable lenses is where the form factor may (hopefully) end up going, but the imaging characteristics will not.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 06:17:52 pm »

And a smaller system.  Provided you'd like to use more than just a 25mm pancake lens.

bg2b

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 11:12:31 pm »

I got one recently.  It handles remarkably like a basic DSLR, with responsiveness about the same as my D40.  It's smaller and lighter, but not really "different class of camera" smaller.

Image quality seems basically comparable except for resolution, where the G1 stomps the D40.  D40 flash sync is way better, and there's no equivalent of a small bounce flash like the SB-400 for the G1.  The G1 viewfinder is much better in some ways, but is worse in others, especially in low light with a slow lens.  The articulating display is great though.

The really killer feature for me though is the face-detecting autofocus.  Trying to photograph a jumpy 4-year-old with a D40 and a fast lens is an exercise in (mis)focus-recompose frustration.  With the G1 and an adapted regular 4/3 lens, my hit rate at f/1.4 has gone through the roof, even though the adapted lens focuses much slower than the kit lens.  I can't wait for Panasonic to release their 20mm f/1.7.

BJL

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 02:40:49 pm »

I have the Olympus e-420 w/25mm pancake lens and enjoy a DSLR in such a small size/combo.
I don't see any advantage to the G1...as I understand it, it is not any smaller then the e-420 and still has a smaller sized sensor.
Though I tend to agree with your E-420 vs G10 comparison in another thread, I think you are way off on this one: the E-420 and G1 each have significant advantages over the others, that are compelling for users with different priorities.

The G1 offers:
- the same sensor size as the E-420, but with the expected improvements from a year or two of tchnological progress.
- IS, though only through a few Panasonic OIS lenses rather than my preferred in-body approach.
- an EVF with a far larger image size than the E-420's optical VF, and with 100% coverage. (Better in these respects than any APS-C DSLR's VF too.)
- a large, articulated LCD, widely held to be a big advantage when using LCD LiveView.
- far less shutter lag than the E-420 in LiveView mode, though probably not as good as the E-420 when using its optical VF and phase detection AF.

In many ways (sensor, articulated LCD, VF image quality, IS availability), the Panasonic G1 is in fact closer to the forthcoming Olympus E-30 while being significantly smaller, lighter and cheaper. I would prefer the E-30 though for its ability to stabilize all 4/3 lenses including the two I already own, and its fast 11 point phase detection AF.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 02:43:13 pm by BJL »

dalethorn

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 08:16:37 pm »

Seeing as MR has a picture taken with one, and that they are starting to ship ($800), i'm curious what you all think...

I don't see any advantage to the G1...as I understand it, it is not any smaller then the e-420 and still has a smaller sized sensor. It is my feeling, that despite all the technical specs/ details of various 'engines' etc etc...it mostly comes down to sensor size...no?

Why would I pay $200 more for this over the e-420?

I DO like the fully articulated LCD screen and wish all the DSLR's would have this (now that they all have liveview). I think for most of us, we'd be using liveview on a DSLR when the camera is in an 'awkward' vantage point...precisely the time an articulated screen would be handy.

This seems similiar to the Sony R1 that came out years ago...A limited use camera with good IQ. Perhaps if you need a 'quiet' camera, but other than that...too big for a P&S and limited functionality over a DSLR.

Will have to get dwon to the shop and try it for myself.
Remember that "mirror lockup" thingie?  Remember why people lock up those mirrors?  Remember mirror vibration?  The G1 doesn't have those things.  It's important, so important, that the one and only SLR I ever owned (Leica R3 Safari) I gave away at a white elephant exchange.

250swb

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 05:38:58 pm »

I think Panasonic went with a traditional looking DSLR just to get acceptance and get the ball rolling. We should remember that this platform will allow many variations of body, P&S, rangefinder, HD, etc that all take the same lenses. So don't judge the G1, judge the concept and the fact your eventual lens collection may be many times more useful than having it only dedicated to one body type/manufacturer.

Steve

lensfactory

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 07:32:47 pm »

Quote from: 250swb
I think Panasonic went with a traditional looking DSLR just to get acceptance and get the ball rolling. We should remember that this platform will allow many variations of body, P&S, rangefinder, HD, etc that all take the same lenses. So don't judge the G1, judge the concept and the fact your eventual lens collection may be many times more useful than having it only dedicated to one body type/manufacturer.

Steve

I think you shouldn't put the cart before the horse. We ARE talking about a whole new series of lenses they expect you to invest in after all. If the flagship model is far from a real change..from either what's offered by small dslr's (e-420) or larger P&S (G10), then I think it is an abject failure. To chalk it up as a 'good try' doesn't cut it in my book. DO judge the G1. Who has money to spend on a 'concept' and a hope that 'your eventual lens collection may be many times more useful'.
Reminds me...in camera history...of the 'half-frame' cameras they developed in the early sixties. A lemon. I think DSLR's and P&S's will fill up this,at best, marginal niche that this 'micro 4/3' system is trying to fill.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 07:37:54 pm »

I expect to buy one.  As soon as I can find one.

dalethorn

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 09:24:36 pm »

I think you shouldn't put the cart before the horse. We ARE talking about a whole new series of lenses they expect you to invest in after all. If the flagship model is far from a real change..from either what's offered by small dslr's (e-420) or larger P&S (G10), then I think it is an abject failure. To chalk it up as a 'good try' doesn't cut it in my book. DO judge the G1. Who has money to spend on a 'concept' and a hope that 'your eventual lens collection may be many times more useful'.
Reminds me...in camera history...of the 'half-frame' cameras they developed in the early sixties. A lemon. I think DSLR's and P&S's will fill up this,at best, marginal niche that this 'micro 4/3' system is trying to fill.
Some people don't get it, but this person from Cameralabs (whatever) never got it. SLR's are antiques - 50 year old mirrorbox technology, like buggy whips. Get used to new tech, or stick to the antique venues.

lensfactory

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 10:43:44 am »

Quote from: dalethorn
Some people don't get it, but this person from Cameralabs (whatever) never got it. SLR's are antiques - 50 year old mirrorbox technology, like buggy whips. Get used to new tech, or stick to the antique venues.

Whos' 'this person from Cameralabs'?

My feeling is that I don't have to get used to the 'new tech' but rather the new tech will have to accomodate me..the consumer.

50 year -old mirrorbox technology...ya...so. Ever heard of the wheel? Still going strong after more than 50 years!

If they came up with a technology that allowed you to look through a lens and NOT use any other optical 'viewer' than your eyes...then yes, that would be an improvement. As it stands now though, even the BEST electronic viewing systems,LCD screens, et al, can't compete with the optics we were born with.

Perhaps when an electronic optical device can be hard-wired to our brain's optical network...then we could improve upon our eyes. Until then you can't beat the SLR system I'm afraid. And an oversized "P&S" with interchangeable lenses is no improvement over either...in my opinion. Not small enough, expensive new lens system, and IQ no better than a cheap DSLR. WHat's the advantage?!? Maybe if you work in stills...or where you need a quiet camera.

What do you 'early apopters' see in it?

MarkL

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 11:27:57 am »

This would make a great street camera. I'd buy one if the high iso was decent.

I wonder if in removing the mirror box they encountered the same issues as leica with the M8 or perhaps the sensor is small enough to avoid them.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 11:28:58 am by MarkL »

DarkPenguin

250swb

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 03:41:55 am »

I think DSLR's and P&S's will fill up this,at best, marginal niche that this 'micro 4/3' system is trying to fill.

Except that after P&S this 'marginal niche' market is the highest selling camera group, the 'bridge' camera or 'prosumer' camera, take your pick. People will migrate up to Micro Four Thirds from P&S cutting out the prosumer designs, and people will move from DSLR's to Micro Four Thirds.

The ultimate success of current DSLR's is by no means assured, unless you think people actually like carrying around large heavy lenses, and often large bodies to mount them on (admittedly there will always be a 'look at me I'm a photographer' type out there to disprove this idea of portability). You can't get away from the fact that in a world where miniaturisation can lead to smaller and lighter machines the fundamental design of  DSLR lenses will remain forever frozen in the ice age. And while it may be possible to make DLSR bodies marginally smaller, they are already at about the limit they can go without producing a very unbalanced package on which to mount the lenses. Like the woolly mammoth, your DSLR dreams are going to become extinct.

Steve

lensfactory

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2008, 10:15:33 am »

Quote from: 250swb
Except that after P&S this 'marginal niche' market is the highest selling camera group, the 'bridge' camera or 'prosumer' camera, take your pick. People will migrate up to Micro Four Thirds from P&S cutting out the prosumer designs, and people will move from DSLR's to Micro Four Thirds.

..... Like the woolly mammoth, your DSLR dreams are going to become extinct.

Steve

To clarify...what you call 'prosumer' I call P&S. I don't believe that consumer group  will move up from P&S cameras to these non-mirrorbox DSLR's (whatever you want to call them) UNLESS the bodies are super-cheap and the interchangeable lenses are cheap,as they offer no other substantial reward over the traditional DSLR than size.THey will just stick to the super-zoom midsized digital cameras currently offered (as they will remain cheap and get better in IQ).
  I don't believe that when you get to this size a few inches either way is  a big deal. These cameras are aimed mostly at existant pros and speculative pro-sumers.

These caveman proclamations are a wish...as there is NOTHING to subsantiate this, scientifically. I could say "like the wheel, the DSLR design will constantly be enhanced and used in new inventive ways."AS I stated, only when we have a tool hard-wired to our optic nerve network in our brain could we possibly improve upon our eyes. DSLR's use our eyes more in the viewing systems. The rest use EVFs which are inferior...
...simple

250swb

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2008, 12:22:30 pm »

The rest use EVFs which are inferior...
...simple

In case you don't spot the irony, you review your images on an electronic LCD on the camera, you process your images using a electronic screen, you print your images using and electronic printer. These are deemed suitable to asses and produce an image via electronic means. No?

But all of these have an evil past of poor quality, in the sense you wouldn't now use a ten year old design of LCD, or screen, or printer, yet somehow the EVF, which has been around quite a while and has been constantly developed still ranks as 'inferior'? Well in some aspects yes, in others aspects it makes the conventional viewfinder look positively archaic. As with many things you win some you lose some, but never on any camera is it 'win win'. Anyway, here is a party trick the EVF can do that many top DSLRs can't, it gives a 100% coverage. And here is a party trick an EVF can do that no conventional viewfinder DSLR can do, it can increase the gain so you can see better to compose and focus in dim light. I'm sure I could go on, but the gist is that the baby shouldn't be thrown out with the bathwater.

Steve
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up