Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving files and catalogues  (Read 1997 times)

marcgoldring

Moving files and catalogues
« on: November 13, 2008, 01:42:49 pm »

My main computer, on which I was running LR 1.3, was being repaired so I put a trial version of LR 2.1 on my other computer and I've been happily playing with various image files. I've got about 250 images in that catalog. So now that I have the main computer back, I want to upgrade it to LR 2.1 and integrate the images from the other computer to my main catalog.

What's the best way to do that? I can copy all the files onto the main computer (it's less than 1 gig) but I don't know how to integrate the catalogs. Any suggestions for strategies most appreciated.

Thanks,

Marco
Marc Goldring
visit my site Marcoclicks

marcgoldring

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 11:06:45 am »

Quote from: John Schweikert
Option 1) Just export your 1.3 catalog from LR 1.3 so you can then import it into LR 2.1 and still maintain virtual copies and collections. If you just bring the files that were in 1.3 into 2.1 then you won't get the organization, VC's transfered.

Option 2) LR 2 also updates previous 1.x catalogs to version 2, and then combine your temporary catalog in the LR 2 trial by exporting that out (since it's smaller) and reimport it into the the 1.3 converted catalog.

If none of this makes since, then you may need someone to walk you through it.

Yes, this makes sense - and thanks, John, for the reply. I can sort out how to upgrade my 1.3 catalog to 2.1. But I'm not sure of the sequence for getting the files from the other computer into the converted catalog. In other words, yes I can copy the files and I can export the catalog, but how do I merge the 2 catalogs?

Hope this is clear...

Thanks,

Marc
Marc Goldring

francois

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 11:16:14 am »

Quote from: marcgoldring
Yes, this makes sense - and thanks, John, for the reply. I can sort out how to upgrade my 1.3 catalog to 2.1. But I'm not sure of the sequence for getting the files from the other computer into the converted catalog. In other words, yes I can copy the files and I can export the catalog, but how do I merge the 2 catalogs?

Hope this is clear...

Thanks,

Marc
To merge two catalogs, just open the first one in Lightroom and choose the File>Import from catalog… menu item, then select the second one. There's a few options but it's easy to figure out what they do.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 11:16:39 am by francois »
Francois

marcgoldring

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 12:08:12 pm »

Quote from: francois
To merge two catalogs, just open the first one in Lightroom and choose the File>Import from catalog… menu item, then select the second one. There's a few options but it's easy to figure out what they do.

OK, thanks. It was too easy, that's my excuse. Plus I'm not at LR right now to fiddle around. But, seriously everyone - thanks!

Marco
Marc Goldring

francois

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 12:34:52 pm »

Quote from: marcgoldring
OK, thanks. It was too easy, that's my excuse. Plus I'm not at LR right now to fiddle around. But, seriously everyone - thanks!

Marco
You're welcome!
The obvious is not always that obvious...

Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up