Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rhe RED Med format  (Read 81833 times)

Imaginara

Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #240 on: December 23, 2008, 05:11:53 am »

Quote from: Jonathan Wienke
And of course, it is unthinkable and impossible to leave the video as-shot and simply mount the display monitor vertically...

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.

What! A simple solution to a problem! how dare you!

I actually did that yesterday when shooting with an old M11 Precision back. it doesnt have any autorotationsensorthingie ... so instead of having the client break their neck i simply flipped the macbook i was shooting to on the side

There are swivels you can mount a display on aswell to make it easy to flip between vertical and horisontal

dergiman

• http://www.philippderganz.com
Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #241 on: December 23, 2008, 05:12:06 am »

And of course, it is unthinkable and impossible to leave the video as-shot and simply mount the display monitor vertically...

yes, and it would be so nice to edit the footage on a rotated screen, so that final cut pro is flipped to the side, what a nightmare.
Philipp Derganz Photography
www.philippderganz.com
Architektur Photo
Wien, Austria

Carsten W

Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #242 on: December 23, 2008, 09:43:27 am »

Quote from: dergiman
yes, and it would be so nice to edit the footage on a rotated screen, so that final cut pro is flipped to the side, what a nightmare.

It is easy to get consumers to rotate their TVs 90 degrees as well, and the same goes for cinemas... Wait...
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

Imaginara

Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #243 on: December 23, 2008, 10:44:50 am »

Quote from: carstenw
It is easy to get consumers to rotate their TVs 90 degrees as well, and the same goes for cinemas... Wait...

Well rotated video is not for public consumer use but rather for video advertisement stands and billboards  

And you wouldn't edit it on a rotated screen but rather on a normal screen, and just rotate the preview display.

No more eggnog!

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #244 on: December 30, 2008, 05:37:46 pm »

And sometimes reading all the posts above your reply is best, as this suggestion has already been mentioned!  
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

ziocan

Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #245 on: December 30, 2008, 07:08:31 pm »

Quote from: jjj
And sometimes reading all the posts above your reply is best, as this suggestion has already been mentioned!  
It seems like a bulky rig for using as photo camera.
I know some people needs to shows hardware before taking the images... but that may be overkill also for those kind of photographers.

dwdmguy

• http://
Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #246 on: January 01, 2009, 11:19:31 am »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
The interesting stuff is one to two years away...

Why on earth would you want to give your competition this kind of advanced warning???

This is as close to a suicide as it gets. How arrogant do you have to be to think that Japanese companies won't be able to totally overshoot you if you give them a clear target...

Cheers,
Bernard

There is one clear reason that most corporations do this, Number 1, to mislead the compitition, if they (RED) think the market is going one way, they will "Leak" something different to have the other guys directed into the wrong direction. Happens all the time.
Number 2, they are building something bigger and better and this will use the resources for the other guy to build something not as good and / or smaller.

It's called "Show Business" not "Show Friends"

Graeme Nattress

• http://www.nattress.com
Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #247 on: January 01, 2009, 11:57:26 am »

It's all about open development and user (and potential user) feedback. Just look at how many years Michael has been asking Canon to do mirror lockup right on their DSLRs. That's exactly the situation that RED would like to avoid.

jjj

Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #248 on: January 02, 2009, 02:03:53 pm »

If you ask the people who actually use products what would make their life easier, you tend to get a lot of very useful information. And some gibberish too!

jjj

Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #249 on: January 02, 2009, 02:09:19 pm »

Quote from: dwdmguy
There is one clear reason that most corporations do this, Number 1, to mislead the compitition, if they (RED) think the market is going one way, they will "Leak" something different to have the other guys directed into the wrong direction. Happens all the time.
Number 2, they are building something bigger and better and this will use the resources for the other guy to build something not as good and / or smaller.

It's called "Show Business" not "Show Friends"
You seem to be assuming RED is another typical company, which has no interest in anything but pleasing the shareholders. Shareholders are the noose that strangles many a business.
RED is thankfully a breath of fresh air in the mausoleum of progress, that the likes of Sony and Canon to dictate what happens when and where they trickle out kit in an artificially crippled manner.

Graeme Nattress

• http://www.nattress.com
Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #250 on: January 02, 2009, 02:10:16 pm »

Yes, it's hard to filter what's good and bad, but if you don't listen to the feedback, you don't even get the opportunity to filter it. We also discuss design decisions too, so people know that if a particular feature is not there, that so and so is the very good reason for it not to be there! It's a task that does divert from the development efforts, but it also engenders a sense of community in those that contribute, and it also tries to ensure that the resulting camera works well for a wider audience.

Graeme

dwdmguy

• http://
Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #251 on: January 02, 2009, 03:10:37 pm »

You seem to be assuming RED is another typical company, which has no interest in anything but pleasing the shareholders. Shareholders are the noose that strangles many a business.
RED is thankfully a breath of fresh air in the mausoleum of progress, that the likes of Sony and Canon to dictate what happens when and where they trickle out kit in an artificially crippled manner.

Fair enough indeed.

jjj

Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #252 on: January 02, 2009, 03:27:43 pm »

Quote from: Graeme Nattress
Yes, it's hard to filter what's good and bad, but if you don't listen to the feedback, you don't even get the opportunity to filter it. We also discuss design decisions too, so people know that if a particular feature is not there, that so and so is the very good reason for it not to be there! It's a task that does divert from the development efforts, but it also engenders a sense of community in those that contribute, and it also tries to ensure that the resulting camera works well for a wider audience.
Too often stuff is designed by someone who has no idea of how to use the product in the real world or just as bad, marketing decide what should be included/excluded. What marketing departments repeatedly fail to realise that the products that ultimately sell the best are the ones that are good/most functional. As if a product is good it will get a lot of positive word of mouth, which is way more important that a catchy strapline on a poster.
Rarely do you here anything but praise for RED products.

My pet design peeve is stuff that is designed to look good and functionality comes a poor second, Apple are particularly guilty of this and have obviously never heard of 'form follows function'. In particular their awful RSI inducing mice that appear to be designed for children and monitors with no height adjustment - one size does not fit all [but is more profitable].

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #253 on: January 02, 2009, 05:23:44 pm »

My pet design peeve is stuff that is designed to look good and functionality comes a poor second, Apple are particularly guilty of this and have obviously never heard of 'form follows function'. In particular their awful RSI inducing mice that appear to be designed for children and monitors with no height adjustment - one size does not fit all [but is more profitable].

I just spent my afternoon in a design meeting for a Hi-Fi amplifier. As the high-qual engineer I spent my time explaining to my techie friend (who has to build the thing) that the only important thing about the thing is the design. The design, the way it looks to the buyer and his friends, the way it feels when touched, will sell the thing, and design is hard to get right. The guts of the thing need to work, sure, but that's just electronics.

Apple have taken this concept a stage further, they are designing computers with a strong "Female Acceptance Quotient". Computers as buyable and as usable as design chairs.

Edmund
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 05:25:52 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

jjj

Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #254 on: January 03, 2009, 01:39:07 pm »

Quote from: eronald
I just spent my afternoon in a design meeting for a Hi-Fi amplifier. As the high-qual engineer I spent my time explaining to my techie friend (who has to build the thing) that the only important thing about the thing is the design. The design, the way it looks to the buyer and his friends, the way it feels when touched, will sell the thing, and design is hard to get right. The guts of the thing need to work, sure, but that's just electronics.
Just electronics!? That's the bit that's hard to get right, nice packaging is much easier.
But then as most people think mp3s are OK, why even bother catering to those who like good quality sound from their hifi?
I do not think one should ignore looks, but so many things look nice and are useless to use as a result. Imagine if the designer came back to you and said we decided to drop some of the controls like volume and balance as they spoiled the clean look of the amp.
Besides if you are a fashion photographer and colour mangement chap, why are you a hifi engineer all of a sudden?

Apple have taken this concept a stage further, they are designing computers with a strong "Female Acceptance Quotient". Computers as buyable and as usable as design chairs.
Do you mean 'designer' [what a stupid term] chairs? That look good, but are awful to sit in? Design chairs to me would be more like the very ergonomic and comfortable chairs like those made by Hag or Aeron, where usability is the priority.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 01:43:16 pm by jjj »

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Rhe RED Med format
« Reply #255 on: January 03, 2009, 05:05:06 pm »

Just electronics!? That's the bit that's hard to get right, nice packaging is much easier.
But then as most people think mp3s are OK, why even bother catering to those who like good quality sound from their hifi?
I do not think one should ignore looks, but so many things look nice and are useless to use as a result. Imagine if the designer came back to you and said we decided to drop some of the controls like volume and balance as they spoiled the clean look of the amp.
Besides if you are a fashion photographer and colour mangement chap, why are you a hifi engineer all of a sudden?

Do you mean 'designer' [what a stupid term] chairs? That look good, but are awful to sit in? Design chairs to me would be more like the very ergonomic and comfortable chairs like those made by Hag or Aeron, where usability is the priority.

As you point out, most people think MP3 is ok, so the success of the iPod proves that an audio product that sells can have rotten sound, it just needs to look good and be convenient.

As for the chairs, those horribly uncomfortable look-good non-sit chairs, have you noticed they never stop selling? Like women's non-walk shoes . These days half the shops in Paris seem to sell women's shoes.

Edmund
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 05:09:05 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Up