Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom Rendering of Previews  (Read 2294 times)

RGT5

Lightroom Rendering of Previews
« on: November 12, 2008, 04:07:42 pm »

I have a problem that occurred after updating to LR2. Following input of new files ( not upgraded files ) I open a folder and review the images in filmstrip or grid view. When I double click on an image to open same in primary window the message says loading larger preview. When loading is complete the image is exposed at least +1 or +2 stops over what I see in camera LCD or in the version in the filmstrip. I am not using presets and the settings in catalogue and input should not cause this issue. The result of course is that image adjustments are extensive. Any thoughts or can I determine if any settings are affecting this rendering.

markhout

• http://www.markhout.com
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 08:52:46 pm »

That should be the rendering of the RAW file that LR applies. If you are shooting RAW, the camera LCD + histogram may show you the camera-processed version of the RAW file, which is different from the actual RAW file that you imported into LR, depending on the camera settings. I have switched off in-camera processing, because I could no longer rely on the histogram and LCD.

Go to Develop to process the RAW file. Note that there are standardized "calibrate" settings available on the net that you can use for your camera. Alternatively, you can use 'template' develop settings in LR at the time of import of the raw files.

Mark

RGT5

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 04:19:25 pm »

Quote from: markhout
That should be the rendering of the RAW file that LR applies. If you are shooting RAW, the camera LCD + histogram may show you the camera-processed version of the RAW file, which is different from the actual RAW file that you imported into LR, depending on the camera settings. I have switched off in-camera processing, because I could no longer rely on the histogram and LCD.

Go to Develop to process the RAW file. Note that there are standardized "calibrate" settings available on the net that you can use for your camera. Alternatively, you can use 'template' develop settings in LR at the time of import of the raw files.

Mark
Thanks for your reply. I use the Nikon D3 and shoot only RAW and use the histogram in the field. I do not process in-camera. The reference was to looking at the exposure on LCD and there is no overexposure, at best the as-shot image is at the next to last section on the camera histogram. After import the same file is exposed up against the right side of the histogram when opened in LR2. Something is boosting the viewable LR image.

markhout

• http://www.markhout.com
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 05:39:44 pm »

Quote from: RGT5
Thanks for your reply. I use the Nikon D3 and shoot only RAW and use the histogram in the field. I do not process in-camera. The reference was to looking at the exposure on LCD and there is no overexposure, at best the as-shot image is at the next to last section on the camera histogram. After import the same file is exposed up against the right side of the histogram when opened in LR2. Something is boosting the viewable LR image.
Ok, then it should be the reverse, i.e. there must be something dialed in under "Camera Calibration" in LR.

Prior to rendering LR shows the JPG that the camera embedded into the RAW file. After rendering the actual/rendered RAW file is displayed.

With in-camera processing I meant the situation where the camera is set to produce a certain effect ("Landscape", "Sports", "B/W" or more likely custom settings) vs. the effect being rendered in LR. These in-camera setting typically do not get picked up in the RAW file itself, but only in the embedded JPEG.

Hope this helps!

Mark

Richowens

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 07:19:11 pm »

A quick thought, do you have D lighting turned on in the camera?
Pages: [1]   Go Up