Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Impressions of Light  (Read 7397 times)

Rob C

Impressions of Light
« on: November 12, 2008, 12:04:20 pm »

"I was inspired by the en plein air approach of Monet and by the pointillism of Van Gogh I viewed there."

Never though about Vincent´s oeuvre in those terms... learn something new everyday, then.

Rob C
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 12:04:47 pm by Rob C »

JDClements

• http://www.jdanielclements.com
Impressions of Light
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 02:30:54 pm »

It is not correct. Van Gough's paintings are not "pointillism." However -- and I'll go out on a limb here since my formal art education does not go past secondary school -- van Gough's work can be classified in a larger 'catch-all' movement called Post-Impressionism, of which Pointillism could be a subset.

Rob C

Impressions of Light
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 03:32:54 pm »

Thanks for picking up on this; I had begun to believe that I had imagined the entire article or, worse, had forgotten what Vincent stood for...

It just goes to show how someone can write nonsens and get away with it. Might tie up beautifully with the other current thread on hype within writing and/or gallery speak!

Thanks for posting and rebuilding my faith (to an extent at least) in human nature.

Rob C

DarkPenguin

Impressions of Light
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 04:59:28 pm »

Some of Vinnies work have a decidedly pointillist look.  Not true pointillism but his oodles of tiny dashes of paint can certainly have a pointillist feel.

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
Impressions of Light
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 12:47:09 am »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
Some of Vinnies work have a decidedly pointillist look.  Not true pointillism but his oodles of tiny dashes of paint can certainly have a pointillist feel.

FYI: Seurat was the leader of the pointillist movement, but van Gogh's use of single brushstrokes of color to create more complex "colors' was indeed very similar.  It's good to hear some art theory/history among us photographic artists...

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Impressions of Light
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 03:51:14 am »

Quote from: Rob C
Thanks for picking up on this; I had begun to believe that I had imagined the entire article or, worse, had forgotten what Vincent stood for...

It just goes to show how someone can write nonsense and get away with it. Might tie up beautifully with the other current thread on hype within writing and/or gallery speak!

Not so hasty! I had also noticed this phrase and emailed William Neill about it. He responded that Van Gogh had indeed done some pointillist paintings, and this turned out to be true. However, it was a brief flirtation so the "pointillist works of v G" would have been more suitable and, unlike "-ism", would not imply a more prolonged phase.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 06:08:03 am by johnbeardy »

JDClements

Impressions of Light
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 08:23:52 am »

A pointillist painting is a very specific thing: it is made only of dots, and only using the primary colours.

I'd be interested to see some of van Gogh's pointillist paintings. Anyone have a link? I couldn't find anything after a quick search, but I did find some confusion out there.

His Wikipedia entry says he "adopted elements of the pointillist style" (and there are no arguments over the subject on the discussion page, or in the edit history).

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Impressions of Light
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 08:57:22 am »

I found other, unrelated articles online which made the same point (pun not intended), but I didn't find specific examples. Wm Neill mentions they were in the Nat Gallery in Washington.

John

JDClements

Impressions of Light
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 08:50:41 pm »

I've done a bit of looking around and it appears that "Pointillism" is not what some people think it is. (Myself included, I guess.) There are lots of references on art sites to van Gogh's "pointillist work" when he was in Paris (and met Seurat). However, the examples I have looked at are not the Pointillism I was taught about, but sometimes are being referred to as "pointillist inspired."

One site referred to "Route aux confins de Paris" as his 'most complete and harmonious pointillist painting' but take a look:

I admit it could be deceiving in this small size, but it sure doesn't look like Pointillism to me.

This page describes one of his 1887 self-portraits as an 'attempt at pointillism' and calls it 'clumsy'

I wouldn't call it Pointillism at all.

At the end of the day, I'm not about to go up against the art world if they have re-defined or expanded the term. The interesting thing is that if you look at the definitions of the technique it is clear-cut and leaves no room for debate: primary colour dots only.

But when you start looking at art sites, they turn it into a gray area. Maybe the art historians/writers/etc. are too used to other movement terms, like Impressionism for example, that do have a lot of room for interpretation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up