Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Critical Image Evaluation  (Read 7559 times)

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
Critical Image Evaluation
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2005, 10:01:33 pm »

When i first viewed the image, my eye was searching all over the place, with the whole lot of clutter and distractions in the top third of the image, which also was bland in colour. I found this uninteresting and unappealing. The bottom 2/3rds of the image - the reflection - however, I found to be dynamic and representative of the contrasts of both stillness and movement when on the ocean. This is indicated by the wave like reflections of the masts on the water. The abstract shapes are so fluid and intersting. I felt a sense of serenity, yet an awareness of the power of the waves on the ocean, when so much movement can result even with the smallest of seas.

I would centre the image around the red fender and crop out the right accordingly. I would also crop along just below the door heads on the lower deck to remove the clutter on the upper boat.

I wouldn't level the water...., because when the right side is cropped out, only a small amount of water is left, which then does not give any indication that the water line is not horizontal. The boat which is not horizontal, and without the reference of the extended water line, helps create the movement in the image, and is reminiscent of the rocking and swaying inherent on boats - even when moored. I think that making the boat horizontal would make the image more static and solid, rather than creating the feel of being on the sea.

Julie

mark tipple

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2005, 05:44:04 pm »

hey all, please forgive me for attempting a few changes, really don't have much to do today haha...but a bit of a different take to the original,

what do you think?

before and after.

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2005, 06:56:13 pm »

hey all, please forgive me for attempting a few changes, really don't have much to do today haha...but a bit of a different take to the original,

what do you think?

before and after.
I think waht you did was exactly waht most people were agreeing to change, except a few would also crop more off of the top of the pilot house too. Thanks for posting that. very helpful.

The main problem here was that I do not have enough zoom with the F828 to get closer, thus the cropping.

The Sony F828 has been updated with a bigger sensor, but it is still limited by its zoom, which has decreased to 120mm equivalent, instead of 200, and it's still a fixed lens.

I'll bet Sony could make a nice 20D type camera if they put their minds to it.

Also, it still has that LCD through teh lens instead of real TTLs. I'm really starting to hate that aspect of the F828 too.

The new Sony is called the DSC-R1. It also doesn't swivel any more.

mark tipple

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2005, 07:12:54 pm »

um...i must admit, i didn't read through all the replys...sorry!!!

dwdallam

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2005, 02:28:45 am »

um...i must admit, i didn't read through all the replys...sorry!!!
No reason to be sorry. You pretty much nailed what everone else was saying so that makes it a sort of standard set of objections.

I like what you did, except I think I like the color of the water in the original.

I'll probably work on it a little more, and then have it printed at 12x18. Then I'll use a 10 x 16 matting to crop wiithout losing any pixel information.

Thanks for your effort. I apprecaite that.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2005, 09:45:17 am »

dwdallam, unfortunately I can't hyperlink photos because of some arcane security restrictions imposed by my ISP, but I can describe one more tweak to the "after" image you can look at very easily by positioning the pictures in your web browser accordingly: crop the top of the photograph down to the level of the first door and window above the word "Drifter". When you do this, there is just enough material for people to see it is a boat, but the eyes are drawn immediately into the center of interest, which is really its main strength - that beautiful, flowing abstraction of the boat in the water.

I tend to prefer the colour balance in the "after" image - I find the "before" image a trifle muddy, but this is one of those pictures where the hue can be somewhat flexible while achieving essentially the same effect.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

dwdallam

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2005, 04:14:18 am »

dwdallam, unfortunately I can't hyperlink photos because of some arcane security restrictions imposed by my ISP, but I can describe one more tweak to the "after" image you can look at very easily by positioning the pictures in your web browser accordingly: crop the top of the photograph down to the level of the first door and window above the word "Drifter". When you do this, there is just enough material for people to see it is a boat, but the eyes are drawn immediately into the center of interest, which is really its main strength - that beautiful, flowing abstraction of the boat in the water.

I tend to prefer the colour balance in the "after" image - I find the "before" image a trifle muddy, but this is one of those pictures where the hue can be somewhat flexible while achieving essentially the same effect.
I pretty did that exact thing you mention last night. Thanks for the comments.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up