Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Focusing screen options for F&H-manufactured camera bodies?  (Read 2584 times)

BJNY

Focusing screen options for F&H-manufactured camera bodies?
« on: November 11, 2008, 08:30:43 pm »

What focusing screen options exist for accurate 48x36 framing?
The acetate (with rounded corners) provided with Leaf AFi and Sinar Hy6 camera bodies
is not to my liking, and I was wondering if the latest bright and snappy focusing screens from F&H
are being modified by a third party with 48x36 and 36x48 rectangles either etched into
or printed onto the screen?

Thanks in advance for any replies,
Billy

Guillermo

Mitchell Baum

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 08:42:47 pm »

I would like to know this too.

Also, are diopters available for the Hy6 Waist Level Finder and 45 Degree Finder?

Thanks for any help,

Mitchell

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 08:55:54 pm »

I'd suggest giving Bill Maxwell a try.  You can find contact information for him here: http://www.mattclara.com/maxwell/index.html.

He can take your screen, etch it, coat it (or both), or start with a screen from scratch.

I ordered two screens from him--both split recticle with microprism collars.  One is the standard horizontal split, but the other (the one I use most) is a 45-degree diagonal split.

I think he can help you here.  He knows more than I thought there was to know about focusing screens.  Be ready to chat!  

-Brad

-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 03:55:31 am »

Quote from: Mitchell Baum
I would like to know this too.

Also, are diopters available for the Hy6 Waist Level Finder and 45 Degree Finder?

Thanks for any help,

Mitchell

Yes they have diopters available for both the WLF and the prism.   If you are in the US then contact Ray at DSWWM the rollei distributor  http://dsmww.com/contact.html     or your local service center.

RE: focus screens -  I'll second Brad's recommendation for Bill Maxwell.   You can e-mail him here:   <maxwellprecisionoptics@toast.net> or call (770) 939-6644

I've had him put crop lines on the screens for my 6008/p20.    No doubt he'd probably rather sell you one of his own screens but I'll bet he'd be happy to just put crop lines on yours.  

« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 03:59:09 am by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

Mitchell Baum

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 08:31:46 am »

Thanks Eric.

Best,

Mitchell

BJNY

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 08:35:23 am »

Thanks, everyone.

Eric, what was the cost & turn-around time for the crop lines from Maxwell?
Guillermo

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 12:53:36 pm »

Quote from: BJNY
Thanks, everyone.

Eric, what was the cost & turn-around time for the crop lines from Maxwell?

He can get stuff in and out in a week, but often it takes longer, and on occasion a lot longer.  All depends on what he's got going at the time.    I'm not sure what he'd charge you to put the crop lines on but I'd guess about $30 since this is what that adds to a custom screen ( I think).   Actually if your screen is plastic which most are, then you can add these yourself really easily by scribing a line in the plastic with something like a pin, needle or even a straight razor.  It doesn't take much to make a dark line in the screen which is all you need to see the frame. Just don't lay down the ruler or straight edge on the fresnel side of the screen or you'll scratch it up for sure. I'd use a plastic triangle or ruler. The tricky part is getting the measurements made correctly, but if you already have an overlay....

Rolleiflex USA

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 12:56:45 pm »

Brad,
Forgot to ask you how you like your diagonal split?   I decided that the splits and focusing micro prism collars were interfering with my compositions.... but I'm not always in focus!
Eric
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 12:57:19 pm by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up