Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Light Room print module is a problem...  (Read 4270 times)

Dale53

Light Room print module is a problem...
« on: November 11, 2008, 07:14:31 pm »

I am an early adopter of Light Room and have been more than satisfied with many aspects. It has a good user interface, is intuitive and I get excellent results. I have not used the 1.4 Printer module as I have not been satisfied with the results. From the beginning, I used LR for the Library and Develop but used Qimage for printing. When I upgraded to LR 2.0, I decided to give the Print module a second chance as I have heard good reports regarding this module.

I have a new computer (an HP Core 2 Quad) a new printer (Canon Pro9000). My problem is that using LR's print module, the preview on the printer driver is considerably different than the image in the Print module. It has a completely different color look (not a color cast but completely different colors). The printer prints exactly what the preview looks like - it is just that the preview is unacceptably different than the image from the Develop and Print module. I have turned off and turned on color management, used every different "profile" available in the print driver and while the results change in the "Preview" it is NEVER correct (doesn't match the developed image). I would tear my hair out but have little left to work with (:>)) .

I get excellent results in Qimage. I just export the images to my hard drive, open them in Qimage and print. The preview and main image are exactly the same.

By this process of elimination, I have ruled out my computer and printer - the problem is in the Print module. Understand, it is quite possible that I have some setting that is wrong. Hopefully someone here can point that out.

Dale53

Johnny_Johnson

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 07:37:14 pm »

Quote from: Dale53
I get excellent results in Qimage. I just export the images to my hard drive, open them in Qimage and print. The preview and main image are exactly the same.

Hi Dale - when printing from Qimage are you also looking at the preview in the print driver?  Reason I ask is that I get the same result in the preview in the print driver when printing from Qimage that you describe getting from Lightroom.  From what I've read over the years I believe that it's normal for the preview in the driver to differ in color from the actual print.

Later,
Johnny

Dale53

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 12:34:52 am »

Quote from: Johnny_Johnson
Hi Dale - when printing from Qimage are you also looking at the preview in the print driver?  Reason I ask is that I get the same result in the preview in the print driver when printing from Qimage that you describe getting from Lightroom.  From what I've read over the years I believe that it's normal for the preview in the driver to differ in color from the actual print.

Later,
Johnny

Johnny;
Using Qimage, I get exactly the same image in the print driver as I get on the "main page" (the "Main Page" that is reached in Qimage by using the "space bar"). I have no problems printing with Qimage at all. What I see is what I get.

I could really save some time and effort if I could get the print module to work for me. Incidentally, others have the same complaint. If it is a "bug", then please tell me and I'll use Qimage until the "bug" is fixed. However, if someone has an answer, I am sure ready to listen.

Dale53

Dale53

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 10:41:03 am »

Apparently, I am not being clear in stating the problem.

When in LightRoom, I get completely different color in the print driver than I do on the main "work screen". This would NOT be a problem if my printer reproduced the main image accurately.

However, my printer reproduces the image in the preview correctly, but that image is quite different than the main image.

When using Qimage, the Print driver image is identical to the main image. My printer properly reproduces both the preview image AND the main image as they are the same.

I hope that makes things clearer. For some reason, I am having some difficulty explaining the problem.  

Thanks for replying.
Dale53

Dale53

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 10:42:56 am »

Apparently, I am not being clear in stating the problem.

When in LightRoom, I get completely different color in the print driver than I do on the main "work screen". This would NOT be a problem if my printer reproduced the main image accurately.

However, my printer reproduces the image in the preview correctly, but that image is quite different than the main image.

When using Qimage, the Print driver image is identical to the main image. My printer properly reproduces both the preview image AND the main image as they are the same.

I hope that makes things clearer. For some reason, I am having some difficulty explaining the problem.  

Thanks for replying.
Dale53
Pages: [1]   Go Up