Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using roll paper for Epson 3800  (Read 6034 times)

SteveZ

Using roll paper for Epson 3800
« on: November 11, 2008, 11:56:48 am »

I've been wanting to try Epson Somerset Velvet paper with my 3800. My plan is to purchase a 24" x 50' roll and cut the paper to 17" widths along the long end. This would decrease my paper costs  vis-a-vis Epson Velvet Fine Art and allow me to utilize non textured paper fine art velvet paper. Has anyone here ever tried doing this?

picnic

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 04:14:33 pm »

Quote from: SteveZ
I've been wanting to try Epson Somerset Velvet paper with my 3800. My plan is to purchase a 24" x 50' roll and cut the paper to 17" widths along the long end. This would decrease my paper costs  vis-a-vis Epson Velvet Fine Art and allow me to utilize non textured paper fine art velvet paper. Has anyone here ever tried doing this?

When I got my 3800 when it first came out I bought a roll of luster (actually think its Inkjet art's own) and cut it to suit.  I use it primarily now for panos, but cutting is a real option.  Since then I've bought boxes of 17 x 22 and 17 x 25 papers that I like a lot--and cut to suit size wise.  My husband made me a roll holder that sits on the end of the table and I can pull it out and use my paper cutter to cut to size.  You may have to deroll it--there are devices--and there again we made one (may not work for the Velvet) using canvas, roll, etc.--or, you  may be able to lay out and let relax since its going to roll the 'wrong' way.  That's really the big issue--and probably the one you are most concerned about--rolling in the 'wrong' direction.

Diane

SteveZ

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 04:51:33 pm »

Thanks, Diane. I was hoping to simply roll out the paper on a flat surface to a 17" length then VERY carefully, using a t-square or ruler, cut with an xacto knife. I would then feed the 17"x 24" sheet of paper into the rear tray (a la velvet fine art). Not sure how practical this is but in theory it sounds like it can be done.

Quote from: picnic
When I got my 3800 when it first came out I bought a roll of luster (actually think its Inkjet art's own) and cut it to suit.  I use it primarily now for panos, but cutting is a real option.  Since then I've bought boxes of 17 x 22 and 17 x 25 papers that I like a lot--and cut to suit size wise.  My husband made me a roll holder that sits on the end of the table and I can pull it out and use my paper cutter to cut to size.  You may have to deroll it--there are devices--and there again we made one (may not work for the Velvet) using canvas, roll, etc.--or, you  may be able to lay out and let relax since its going to roll the 'wrong' way.  That's really the big issue--and probably the one you are most concerned about--rolling in the 'wrong' direction.

Diane

thunter

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 04:33:39 am »

Thanks, Diane. I was hoping to simply roll out the paper on a flat surface to a 17" length then VERY carefully, using a t-square or ruler, cut with an xacto knife. I would then feed the 17"x 24" sheet of paper into the rear tray (a la velvet fine art). Not sure how practical this is but in theory it sounds like it can be done.

Yeh Steve I did exactly what you're doing with my 3800 and roll paper. But I took the plunge and bought the 24"d-roller which does a fantastic job without fear of creasing or reverse flattening. I bought it with the money I saved on cut sheets and I cut enough at a time to do me for a while so I don't have to set up the cutter and roller too often.

The d-roller is great for mat fine art papers but not as effective for gloss or satin... but still better than nothing.

SteveZ

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 09:00:33 am »

Quote from: thunter
Yeh Steve I did exactly what you're doing with my 3800 and roll paper. But I took the plunge and bought the 24"d-roller which does a fantastic job without fear of creasing or reverse flattening. I bought it with the money I saved on cut sheets and I cut enough at a time to do me for a while so I don't have to set up the cutter and roller too often.

The d-roller is great for mat fine art papers but not as effective for gloss or satin... but still better than nothing.

Thanks, thunter, which d-roller did you buy? I've been told there are several out there on the market.

thunter

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 06:14:41 am »

Thanks, thunter, which d-roller did you buy? I've been told there are several out there on the market.

Sorry to be slow to get back to you.

I got the 24" one from SOP. I think it's the original beinfang model but I can't see any markings on it and I've misplaced the instruction sheet that came with it.

It is very well made.

picnic

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 08:28:40 am »

I do think the D-roller would be really the best thing (couldn't remember the name of it previouslY).  Since you've printed VFA in the back feeder, then you know how crucial it is to have it flat--otherwise you can have problems with marking--or even not feeding correctly and have the dreaded--'not ready'  and have to reinsert  LOL.

Good luck with it.  Cutting to size for me meant I only had to buy one size of the baryta and FAM papers I use and cut them (I do use a paper cutter though).  I opted for that instead of cutting from a roll since I worked out I could economically cut to the smaller sizes I want if I don't choose to print to 16 x 20 or 16 x 24.

Diane

billg71

• http://www.billgrahamphotography.com
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 11:14:34 pm »

I've not used Somerset Velvet, most of my matte work is on VFA or USFA, so I'm a little confused when you talk about a "non-textured paper fine art velvet paper". I'd suggest you look at the big picture:

Are you selling your prints? How many? Is $1.40/print really going to make a significant impact on your bottom line? So you buy a D-Roller from Shades of Paper for $249, a roll of Somerset Velvet for $130. You get $50 off the D-Roller with a roll of paper but the roll of paper costs $10 more than from B&H. So you've netted out at a $40 savings. At $1.40/print, you'll have to make 149 prints to amortize the D-Roller, over four rolls of paper.

So now you've broken even on the D-Roller, but what about your time and effort? How long does it take you to cut and uncurl 250' of paper into 17" sheets? What's your time worth?

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, maybe you prefer the Somerset over the VFA and that's the only way you can use it. Or you just want to try it out. If so, more power to you. But your post suggested that you were interested in cutting costs, just be aware that there are more costs than buying the paper.....

And what about USFA? Rolls are a lot cheaper than the Somerset.....

Just my $.02 worth,
Bill
[span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%'][span style='color:blue']"The doctor told how he was once fishing in the Wind River area of Wyoming and he looked up and far above on the side of the canyon two dogs sat on a rock peeking at him from the brush that surrounded the rock. Only they weren't dogs, they were coyotes. They were curious about what he might be doing standing in a river waving a stick." [span style='color:black']Jim Harrison, Farmer[/span][/span][/span]

SteveZ

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 05:13:09 pm »

Quote from: billg71
I've not used Somerset Velvet, most of my matte work is on VFA or USFA, so I'm a little confused when you talk about a "non-textured paper fine art velvet paper". I'd suggest you look at the big picture:

Are you selling your prints? How many? Is $1.40/print really going to make a significant impact on your bottom line? So you buy a D-Roller from Shades of Paper for $249, a roll of Somerset Velvet for $130. You get $50 off the D-Roller with a roll of paper but the roll of paper costs $10 more than from B&H. So you've netted out at a $40 savings. At $1.40/print, you'll have to make 149 prints to amortize the D-Roller, over four rolls of paper.

So now you've broken even on the D-Roller, but what about your time and effort? How long does it take you to cut and uncurl 250' of paper into 17" sheets? What's your time worth?

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, maybe you prefer the Somerset over the VFA and that's the only way you can use it. Or you just want to try it out. If so, more power to you. But your post suggested that you were interested in cutting costs, just be aware that there are more costs than buying the paper.....

And what about USFA? Rolls are a lot cheaper than the Somerset.....

Just my $.02 worth,
Bill

Thanks, Bill, if you add in the cost of the deroller, my big plan suddenly becomes less economical than I hoped.
Plus I would have to buy any paper/deroller here in Canada otherwise I'm paying 15% more in U.S. funds + duty + taxes + bank fees to mortgage my house so I can afford all this stuff. What's even more frustrating is I bet there isn't a deroller to be had here in Canada. I've looked around and havent been able to find one so even if I bought the paper here I'd have to purchase the deroller form a U.S. source. By the way, USFA does come in 17" x 22" sheets so buying it rolls wouldn't be necessary, I just don't like the look of the paper even though it's non textured.

billg71

• http://www.billgrahamphotography.com
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 06:40:44 pm »

Steve,

Didn't mean to rain on your parade, but I've spent enough dollars trying to save dimes that I had to comment. Maybe I saved you a few bucks, I hope so anyway.

I did some Googling and found that the Somerset Velvet is a Moab/Legion paper: http://www.moabpaper.com/somersetenhanced.aspx

You can get sheets only in 225gsm, rolls in 255 or 330 gsm.

Here's a link to their international resellers, maybe there's one close to you: http://www.moabpaper.com/resellers-international.aspx#canada

HTH and best of luck,
Bill
[span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%'][span style='color:blue']"The doctor told how he was once fishing in the Wind River area of Wyoming and he looked up and far above on the side of the canyon two dogs sat on a rock peeking at him from the brush that surrounded the rock. Only they weren't dogs, they were coyotes. They were curious about what he might be doing standing in a river waving a stick." [span style='color:black']Jim Harrison, Farmer[/span][/span][/span]

SteveZ

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 07:15:51 pm »

Quote from: billg71
Steve,

Didn't mean to rain on your parade, but I've spent enough dollars trying to save dimes that I had to comment. Maybe I saved you a few bucks, I hope so anyway.

I did some Googling and found that the Somerset Velvet is a Moab/Legion paper: http://www.moabpaper.com/somersetenhanced.aspx

You can get sheets only in 225gsm, rolls in 255 or 330 gsm.

Here's a link to their international resellers, maybe there's one close to you: http://www.moabpaper.com/resellers-international.aspx#canada

HTH and best of luck,
Bill

Thanks again, Bill. I recently purchased a box of 17" x 22" Moab Somerset Enhanced Velvet and was disappointed with the results. Yes, it has a smoother surface unlike VFA, but compared to VFA it really pales in comparison with respect to dmax and brightness. My understanding is that Epson Somerset Velvet is closer to VFA with respect to dmax than the Moab brand. I've compared both Epson papers side by side in the store and they look almost identical except for the VFA texture. The Moab brand is a much creamier colour which is quite strange both the Epson and Moab Somerset brands are made by the same company in the U.K. - St Cuthberts.

Tklimek

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 07:26:29 pm »

Thanks, Bill, if you add in the cost of the deroller, my big plan suddenly becomes less economical than I hoped.
Plus I would have to buy any paper/deroller here in Canada otherwise I'm paying 15% more in U.S. funds + duty + taxes + bank fees to mortgage my house so I can afford all this stuff. What's even more frustrating is I bet there isn't a deroller to be had here in Canada. I've looked around and havent been able to find one so even if I bought the paper here I'd have to purchase the deroller form a U.S. source. By the way, USFA does come in 17" x 22" sheets so buying it rolls wouldn't be necessary, I just don't like the look of the paper even though it's non textured.

One of the gents on this forum created his own "Un-curler"; you may want to PM him and talk to him about it's usage; he claims it works really well.  I tried making one using his plans and made as mistake and ruined the whole thing .... :-( ; but it still kind of works.  I would think if you followed the plans correctly and had adequate work space, it probably would work out quite well.  I think his plans for the un-curler were for less than $30 US for the materials.

Here is a link to that thread:  http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....mp;hl=un-curler

He even has a video on his website showing him using the un-curler.

Cheers.....

Todd in Chicago....
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 07:28:23 pm by Tklimek »
Pages: [1]   Go Up