Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Entrada 3800 smearing  (Read 1823 times)

rogan

Entrada 3800 smearing
« on: November 11, 2008, 12:12:38 am »

A quick question if anyone else is having this. I printed my portfolio and it has been together for about a month. When I have a dark image backed up to a white page, the ink smears of onto the white page surprisingly bad. These prints dried for a week before being put in the book. Any way to prevent this? It almost looks like charcoal when I was in art school when two sheets rubbed together.
I'm using Moan Entrada 190 bright, 3800 matte ink and a custom profile from ink jet art

AaronPhotog

• Dygart Photography
Entrada 3800 smearing
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 03:21:22 am »

Rogan,

What kind of interleaving paper are you using?  A smooth paper will have less tendency to pick up ink from your print, but what you describe is a property of the MK (matte black) inks used in the Epson 3800.
At the same time, matte papers generally don't do too well when you try to use PK (glossy black) inks on them.

In my tests of matte papers, I have not found one that is totally free of transfer from the surface of MK black ink.  They all do it if given enough opportunity for abrasion against other paper surfaces, especially ones with some "tooth" to the surface.  PK inks do not come off in this way.  Moab Entrada 190 didn't do too badly in my tests, compared to some other matte papers, but it reaches it's maximum black somewhat early on (around 60% black ink), and then more black ink just increases the likelihood of transfer but does not improve dMax.  In fact, there is a slight reversal in the measured reflection density as you go above about 75% black ink.

A double-sided matte print portfolio, or even a single-sided one should have a smooth acid-free interleaving paper between pages.  If transfer occurs, the interleaf paper can be changed, and usually the transfer does not show up as smearing on the print itself.  

For maximum durability, though, as in a book, use papers that take the PK (glossy black) inks (again with a non-abrasive interleaf paper).  None of the papers I've tested that use this ink show a tendency to transfer the black ink, though some have a somewhat fragile surface.  If you like the white surface of the Entrada, you might try Epson Exhibition Fiber.  It seems pretty tough, but it's not double-sided like the Entrada.  It and the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag paper (the new one that has no OBA'a) give virtually identical ink curves with very high dMax numbers, but with different surface appearances.

Now, here's the good news:  If you prefer the look of the matte surface, you might try using a spray protective coating of a type that leaves the surface appearance unaffected.  Use three light coats.  This may eliminate the transfer problem.  Test it first to make sure it's compatible with the paper you are using.

Aloha,
Aaron

Aaron Dygart,
Honolulu

rogan

Entrada 3800 smearing
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 08:46:54 am »

Quote from: AaronPhotog
Rogan,

What kind of interleaving paper are you using?  A smooth paper will have less tendency to pick up ink from your print, but what you describe is a property of the MK (matte black) inks used in the Epson 3800.
At the same time, matte papers generally don't do too well when you try to use PK (glossy black) inks on them.

In my tests of matte papers, I have not found one that is totally free of transfer from the surface of MK black ink.  They all do it if given enough opportunity for abrasion against other paper surfaces, especially ones with some "tooth" to the surface.  PK inks do not come off in this way.  Moab Entrada 190 didn't do too badly in my tests, compared to some other matte papers, but it reaches it's maximum black somewhat early on (around 60% black ink), and then more black ink just increases the likelihood of transfer but does not improve dMax.  In fact, there is a slight reversal in the measured reflection density as you go above about 75% black ink.

A double-sided matte print portfolio, or even a single-sided one should have a smooth acid-free interleaving paper between pages.  If transfer occurs, the interleaf paper can be changed, and usually the transfer does not show up as smearing on the print itself.  

For maximum durability, though, as in a book, use papers that take the PK (glossy black) inks (again with a non-abrasive interleaf paper).  None of the papers I've tested that use this ink show a tendency to transfer the black ink, though some have a somewhat fragile surface.  If you like the white surface of the Entrada, you might try Epson Exhibition Fiber.  It seems pretty tough, but it's not double-sided like the Entrada.  It and the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag paper (the new one that has no OBA'a) give virtually identical ink curves with very high dMax numbers, but with different surface appearances.

Now, here's the good news:  If you prefer the look of the matte surface, you might try using a spray protective coating of a type that leaves the surface appearance unaffected.  Use three light coats.  This may eliminate the transfer problem.  Test it first to make sure it's compatible with the paper you are using.

Aloha,
Aaron

Aaron,
 Will try the spray.
Interleaving papers are not an option in a commercial book and some images flow over both pages. Will look into spraying.
Thanks for the reply

Bruce Watson

• http://LargeFormatPro.com
Entrada 3800 smearing
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 09:06:39 am »

Quote from: rogan
It almost looks like charcoal when I was in art school when two sheets rubbed together.

That's because that's about what it is. The pigment from your inks sit on top of the paper when dry. Just like charcoal sits on the top of the paper. When two sheets rub together, you are rubbing the pigments that sit on top of the paper. Not too surprising that you should get some pigment to transfer from sheet to sheet. You should see scuff marks too, especially in areas of consistent dark tones where it's easiest to see it.

You could use a portfolio that sleeves the prints so there is clear plastic over the surface of the prints. That seems to work, but probably isn't the type of presentation you are looking for.

That leaves spraying the prints with a fixative. Just like you would with charcoal. I've heard (you know how dangerous that phrase is) that the fixatives aren't perfect however. What they do is minimize the scuffing and pigment transfer, rather than completely eliminate it. Clearly you'll have to do some testing before you commit to going this route.

Finally, you could laminate the prints, but then you loose some of the look and feel of the paper. No perfect solutions for this I'm afraid.
Bruce Watson
[url=http://achromaticarts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up