Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mozy Home?  (Read 7066 times)

DarkPenguin

Mozy Home?
« on: November 10, 2008, 11:41:41 pm »

I see Mozy was purchased by EMC a while ago.  Anyone use them for backup?

Farkled

Mozy Home?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 12:08:37 am »

I use them because they handle USB drives.  So Far, so good.  Questions?

DarkPenguin

Mozy Home?
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 12:53:17 am »

They do handle USB drives?  I thought they would only backup internal data.  Probably wouldn't backup my NAS drive.

Speed?  I've heard their software can eat resources.  Can it be run on demand?

Have you had to recover things?  How did that work?

Farkled

Mozy Home?
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 11:06:44 pm »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
They do handle USB drives?  I thought they would only backup internal data.  Probably wouldn't backup my NAS drive.

Speed?  I've heard their software can eat resources.  Can it be run on demand?

Have you had to recover things?  How did that work?

I mostly only back up my image files which are all on USB drives.  They can back up any drive that Windows recognizes.  Free trial - test the NAS thing.  That's how I found that Carbonite does not work on USB

Speed is about 2 - 3 gb per day on ny TWC,  Resource hit is not noticable either on my P4 or my new Quadcore.  They have settings which you can adjust.

Yes, it can be run on demand.

I use it as a last ditch backup so have not had to try a recovery.

Had to use customer service to reload on the new machine.  Takes about 2 days for a response, but useful when it happens.

For $5 a month, it's cheap "insurance".  A lot better than the off site I don't have and would not keep up to date.

DarkPenguin

Mozy Home?
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 11:52:39 pm »

I'll give it a try.  I've got so many usb drives laying around it is driving me nuts.

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
Mozy Home?
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 05:02:10 pm »

mozy works great....cheap and relyable....only problems: it does slow down your system (so set the backup to times when you are not working) and the upload speed is capped at 130kb....so forget about large files and such....

elephant trunk is similar, also unlimited upload and they don't have a cap on uploadspeed....but their interface is not as slick....they also have a trunkdrive option which puts your online storage right on your desktop just like a HD....but of course that function does not have automatic backup....it is kinda like an unlimited idisk....

DarkPenguin

Mozy Home?
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 11:58:38 pm »

I should have everything backed up by 2037.  So if my PC manages to hang on that long things should be good.  It is taking like 1-4% of one core with it set to fastest backup.  I could probably play Cod5 (crap game) while backing this up.  

DarkPenguin

Mozy Home?
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 11:22:54 am »

Was at 19% when I got up.  That isn't everything.  Just a test folder that is maybe 6-7% of what I want to transfer.

Farkled

Mozy Home?
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 12:06:09 am »

If your daily average file creation is greater than it's upload speed, then it won't work.  In my case, I can & do overload it on weekends, but I'm caught up by the end of the week.  That's faster than I can copy and get stuff offsite - if I had an offsite.  So for me, it works.  YMMV

DarkPenguin

Mozy Home?
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 11:02:23 am »

At $5 a month I'm not going to be hasty.  I'll take some time and see how it goes.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 11:02:58 am by DarkPenguin »

DarkPenguin

Mozy Home?
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 11:51:20 am »

After some internal infrastructure updates I'm getting some better speeds.  Still pretty slow, however.  But it should be fast enough to cover new work.

Might take a long time to catch up to what I have.  Gives me incentive to actually cull photos.

One thing I haven't checked yet is what happens with my DNGs.  If I tag a zillion things I suspect my DNGs will be updated and the archive will have to be uploaded again.  Kind of an incentive to not convert to DNG.

DarkPenguin

Mozy Home?
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 02:46:26 pm »

Up to 50GB.  It actually goes up fast enough.  Once the backlog is uploaded this should work fine.  So long as they stay in bidnez, anyways.

mikev1

Mozy Home?
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 01:32:38 am »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
Up to 50GB.  It actually goes up fast enough.  Once the backlog is uploaded this should work fine.  So long as they stay in bidnez, anyways.
 I use mozy as well, it took about a month to do my initial backup around (100 GB).  Lots of dropped connections though I'm not sure if that was the fault of my service provider or Mozy.  In any event it is pretty straight forward and unobtrusive after that.

I recently migrated to a fresh install of the OS on a new hard drive and my photo drive was assigned a new letter.  I initially thought I was going to have to re-upload everything again but did not need to.  Mozy appeared to be going through the motions of re-uploading but I think it was verifying my directory structure to what they had.

I think Mozy is a great back-up to your back-ups!

I also have a windows home server setup which I don't really trust at all.  To many critical issues to recommend.
Pages: [1]   Go Up