Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colormunki etc, with Vista (Home)  (Read 15121 times)

RichardJG

Colormunki etc, with Vista (Home)
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 06:10:00 pm »

Quote from: David Good
Richard,

I waited to reply until I re-calibrated and profiled both my laptop,Toshiba Satellite with Vista Home Premium and my internet LCD with Vista Home Basic with the newest release, v1.0.5. I am not experiencing any of the issues that you mention, display profile does not reset after a restart, and pictures look normal, not blown out using the windows slideshow(?). I don't have a solution for you but it does work properly on my two different vista systems, but they are both relatively new. Support has been quick to respond when I contacted them.

Dave

Hi Dave,
Thanks for taking the trouble to tell me how you got on calibrating your laptop. I also have the latest version colormunki software. The laptop I am having problems with is a Toshiba Equiem P300 running Vista Home. I'm not sure if it could be the graphics driver. The laptop is using an Intel 965 express chipset. I have downloaded latest drivers, but still have the same problem.

Incidentally, the picture of the ducatti is Blue on my desktop XP pro Machine and Red on my Vista Laptop.
Which is also proof of photo gallery being color managed.
Interesting!

Regards
RichardG

mbalensiefer

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2008, 07:02:10 am »

Quote from: juicy
The display profile and the working color space in Photoshop are two entirely different things. You should choose the working space according to your workflow and depending on the type of images you are editing. Also the end use of the edited images play part on this. You should never use a display profile as an editing space.

J

Hi!
 I have to say that this statement is in direct conflict with other threads I've read on this same board. PS defaults to your monitor's profile...so with a calibrated monitor, your PS should be good. That's the way they programmed PS. If not, then how might one go about calibrating Photoshop by itself?

Michael
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 07:07:26 am by mbalensiefer »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2008, 01:59:30 pm »

Quote from: mbalensiefer
Hi!
 I have to say that this statement is in direct conflict with other threads I've read on this same board. PS defaults to your monitor's profile...so with a calibrated monitor, your PS should be good. That's the way they programmed PS. If not, then how might one go about calibrating Photoshop by itself?

Michael

No - "Juicy" is correct about this. There is no such thing as PS defaulting to your monitor profile unless you have set it up that way, which you should not. You do calibrate and profile your display, you do not calibrate Photoshop. All you do with Photoshop is set the preferences correctly, give them a named preset and set that as a newdefault. The program should then open with that preset in place every time. As I said above, the display profile and Photoshop's colour working space are separate items. One characterises your display and the other tells Photoshop the gamut of the colour working space you want, which depends on what you intend to do with the images now and in the future.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

mbalensiefer

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2008, 06:58:40 am »

" You do calibrate and profile your display, you do not calibrate Photoshop. All you do with Photoshop is set the preferences correctly, give them a named preset and set that as a newdefault. "

Got it. My Display already =calibrated.
               Photoshop =left alone.

I'd read that leaving it alone makes PS's profile default to whatever the monitor is, as already set up.

So what do I have to do according to the rest of your above?

Michael
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 07:12:39 am by mbalensiefer »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2008, 07:07:12 am »

Quote from: mbalensiefer
" You do calibrate and profile your display, you do not calibrate Photoshop. All you do with Photoshop is set the preferences correctly, give them a named preset and set that as a newdefault. "

Got it. Display    =calibrated.
          Photoshop=left alone.

I'd read that leaving it alone makes PS's profile default to whatever the monitor is, as already set up.

So what do I have to do according to the rest of your above?

Michael

EDIT>Color Settings> Working Spaces>RGB> (select Pro Photo for the widest available space here, if that is what you want). Further down in Conversion Options select the ACE engine, Relative Colorimetric (if those are what you want -usually good general settings), and check Black Point Compensation and Use Dither. Save this group of settings as a custom preset with a name you will recognize and make sure this preset is loaded when you open Photoshop. Normally it should remain sticky from a previous session.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 07:08:04 am by MarkDS »
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up