Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New large sensor camera rumors?  (Read 4634 times)

Ray

New large sensor camera rumors?
« on: May 03, 2004, 12:32:55 pm »

You'll soon have the option of a Kodak 14c at a significantly lower price than the 1Ds. I've heard no rumours of Canon bringing out a cheaper full frame DSLR to compete with the 14c, but I expect they will eventually.

Both of these full frame cameras are too expensive for me. I've been using a D60 for over 2 1/2 years, during which time I've taken more photos than previously in my entire life. However, after about 10,500 shots I'm nowhere near covering the cost of the camera and memory cards with savings in film and developing costs.

didger

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 04:33:02 pm »

Sigh, yeah.  The never ending war is over the next 20% increase in pixel count and more and more questionably useful fancy features for consumer cameras.  I'm sure prices will drop at the high end too, but as you say, not dramatically, as in a "war".  At 63 I'm not about to wait too long.  I want to get going while I still have the energy and fitness.

JJP

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 05:45:36 pm »

There are alternatives to buying new.  What you can do is wait until Canon (sooner or later) come out with a second generation 1Ds.  At that time, some used 1Ds's should be available on ebay and elsewhere.
JJ

didger

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 02:08:20 am »

Get one now, and make it pay for itself.
Yeah, that's pretty much my thinking.  "Now", though, means more like a month or two, when a substantial cash hit will be coming my way.  
As for "pay for itself", this is another issue I could use advice on.  When I was forced to give up my last really serious photography phase because my car was totalled on the way home from Zion, my whole program was derailed and I'm just now getting ready to get back into it.  I sent CD's with pictures to several companies that market stock photos and the response right from the beginning was pretty encouraging and Corel bought 11 pictures, but then I never went any farther with it.  Once I have a bunch of better pictures with better Photoshop work, I'll make a much bigger effort with the stock photo places.  I'm only interested in shooting nature things, not any sort of "commercial" photography (weddings, product shots, etc.).  Any tips for how to market, other than hitting all the stock photograph companies?  Any tips for shooting and processing to appeal to the potenital markets?

didger

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004, 10:51:56 am »

It seems amazing that it's taken so long for large sensor DSLR's to come along and though the format is a must for me as soon as I can raise the money, the price of an Eos 1ds seems rather steep and I imagine that other manufacturers will be coming out with competitive products and large sensor prices will drop all around.  The first versions of any revolutionary product are always extremely expensive.
Does anyone have any information or even any rumors about other large sensor DSLR's being developed?  I'd hate to end up paying all that money for a 1ds a month or two before a big price war starts!!  The price can't possibly stay anywhere near so high; it's only a question of time, but how much time, that's the issue.

BJL

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004, 03:21:42 pm »

I'd hate to end up paying all that money for a 1ds a month or two before a big price war starts!!
Relax, there is not a ghost of a chance of a major "price war" in this small, high end niche; about as likely as price war in the medium or large format camera market.
The digital SLR price war is already on, with the main front now at US$1,000 and moving down, in what is and always will be the DSLR mainstream, the 1.5x and smaller formats.

Erik M

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 05:08:05 pm »

If the 1Ds has the resolution to print up to the sizes you intend to print at, then get it! Seriously, just do it. Years ago when  I realized I need to print large with great detail I simply bit the bullet and bought two medium format systems. I have never regretted it, even though I refuse to look at the sales receipts for fear of a heart attack. I have images I would not have had were it not for those systems.  And for me that's worth it.

I know the 1Ds is expensive. But as long as you have decent credit you should be able to get a personal loan from your bank. Over a five year period your monthly payments wouldn't be too bad.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004, 07:39:40 pm »

That's highly unlikely to happen before Photokina this fall, and not certain to happen then. Get one now, and make it pay for itself.
Pages: [1]   Go Up