Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: extended warranty on Epson 9880?  (Read 2507 times)

adpix

extended warranty on Epson 9880?
« on: November 10, 2008, 11:27:40 am »

Hello,

I'm an advertising shooter who wants to expand into fine art photography.  I'm about to install an Epson 9880 in my studio, where it should get fairly light use--at least in comparison with a portrait operation.

So may I ask your advice on whether or not I should invest in an extended warranty?  My 3800 gets frequent use and it's holding up just fine.  

Thanks,

Bill Jackson  
Motown

titusbear

• http://contemplativeeye.com
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 02:19:25 pm »

If you're buying your printer 'new' - it's covered with a 1 year warranty out of the box. If you check the Epson site - you'll see that an extended warranty (2 years) is available -but it has to be purchased while the original warranty is still in effect ( ideally after about 11 months of ownership - leaving 1 month overlap for paperwork, etc.).  No problem purchasing an extended warranty as long as the original warranty is still in effect.
Call Sarah @ Shades of Paper - for a good price on the extended warranty.  I just bought my 2 year year warranty (after purchasing my 4880 in Jan 2008 - leaving some time for overlap).
Hint - photography the box labels (with all of the bar codes /numbers) with the time/date turned on  - so that you have a record of the information dated the date it was delivered.

Wisdom of warranty - living in rural Vermont - I really don't want to deal with a broken machine / would much rather have warranty service rather than  pay $1,000 service call and/or drive the machine 200 miles to Massachusetts for service).  The  XX80 machines are complex devices, with close tolerances - and it's best to have a tech look at it if it's not working to your expectations.
They're really well built 'bears' - but a warranty is cheap insurance even if something like a switch goes south.  SoP offers excellent prices / great service.

Quote from: adpix
Hello,

I'm an advertising shooter who wants to expand into fine art photography.  I'm about to install an Epson 9880 in my studio, where it should get fairly light use--at least in comparison with a portrait operation.

So may I ask your advice on whether or not I should invest in an extended warranty?  My 3800 gets frequent use and it's holding up just fine.  

Thanks,

Bill Jackson  
Motown

edwinb

• http://www.image2output.com
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 02:27:14 pm »

Quote from: titusbear
If you're buying your printer 'new' - it's covered with a 1 year warranty out of the box. If you check the Epson site - you'll see that an extended warranty (2 years) is available -but it has to be purchased while the original warranty is still in effect ( ideally after about 11 months of ownership - leaving 1 month overlap for paperwork, etc.).  No problem purchasing an extended warranty as long as the original warranty is still in effect.
Call Sarah @ Shades of Paper - for a good price on the extended warranty.  I just bought my 2 year year warranty (after purchasing my 4880 in Jan 2008 - leaving some time for overlap).
Hint - photography the box labels (with all of the bar codes /numbers) with the time/date turned on  - so that you have a record of the information dated the date it was delivered.

Wisdom of warranty - living in rural Vermont - I really don't want to deal with a broken machine / would much rather have warranty service rather than  pay $1,000 service call and/or drive the machine 200 miles to Massachusetts for service).  The  XX80 machines are complex devices, with close tolerances - and it's best to have a tech look at it if it's not working to your expectations.
They're really well built 'bears' - but a warranty is cheap insurance even if something like a switch goes south.  SoP offers excellent prices / great service.
Ive serviced the previous machine a fair bit and higher utilised printers tend to need new head / carriage assemblies.
check what paper ink deals you can get that include service on the printer as well as rip/colour management
edwin
Edwin Blenkinsopp
Technical Manager
image2output
m:  +44 (0) 7836 674749
e: edwin@image2output.com
w: Sinar |  Foba |Inkjet

adpix

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 06:27:48 pm »

Thanks for the good advice, guys.  

Now, when the truck comes,  I just have to figure out how to move this behemoth into my studio since my assistant moved on and I haven't had the business to justify hiring a replacement.

Bill Jackson
Motown

mellencm

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 08:00:33 pm »

Hi Bill,

I used a 7600 for 6 years. I purchased the 2 year Epson extended warrenty a month before the initial year was up.  After the 3 years on Epson warranty, I then got another 2 years, 2 year at a time from GEI wide format www.geiwideformat.com

My experience was that I needed service 1-2 times a year, so the warranty was well worth it for me. I've had the print head replaced, even had a printer replacement once when they couldn't fix the thing. I just bought a 9880, and will continue to keep it under warranty. It gives me peace of mind, knowing I'll always be in business.

Ellen

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 08:44:11 pm »

Where are you located, US or other?  
Is the printer brand new?  

If it's brand new like others mentioned, you have a 1 year warranty and you have 365 days to purchase the upgrade, either 1 year or 2.  

It's 725.00 U.S. for a 1 year extension.  

It's worth it to me.  In the U.S. the main service force for Epson is Decision One,  Minimum call out is $420.00, before any parts.    They do good work, but the cost of a per call service call can add up quickly.

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up