Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: live video quality  (Read 3669 times)

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
live video quality
« on: November 09, 2008, 01:07:06 pm »

Curious if we have any members still using the eyelike precision backs and how the live video quality is. I currently am a leaf user and I find the live video acceptable and Im wondering if the precision is close in quality.  

Also could anyone post a comparison of a fine detail crop in 1 and 4 shot mode? I tried searching but I cant find any post with a direct comparison.

Thanks Kyle

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
live video quality
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 01:14:50 pm »

Quote from: klane
Curious if we have any members still using the eyelike precision backs and how the live video quality is. I currently am a leaf user and I find the live video acceptable and Im wondering if the precision is close in quality.  

Also could anyone post a comparison of a fine detail crop in 1 and 4 shot mode? I tried searching but I cant find any post with a direct comparison.

Thanks Kyle
some time ago i compared and wrote about this , at least about similar theme:

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....76&hl=quilt
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

bdp

• http://www.bendearnleyphotography.com
live video quality
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 01:57:00 pm »

I own an Eyelike Precision M22 back which I used daily before I bought an eMotion 75.

The quality of the live video with Eyelike Capture Pro software is certainly acceptable, and enough to fine tune focus when using a view camera. You need to pause one window to get the other to refresh faster, if you have both a whole preview and a focus window open at the same time. There is no brightness or contrast or grey balance control when in live video mode, which makes the image quality suffer, but it is just intended as a composition and focus tool, so these things are not really necessary. When using a Schneider electronic shutter you can use High Quality mode, which is similar to Sinar's solution with the LC shutter - the shutter closes to prevent the streaking of highlights which I believe occurs because the pixels overflow with light before the chip can be read out - it opens and closes the shutter a couple of times per second and using this mode the quality is greatly improved, but obviously it will wear out your shutter if you overuse it. I think Precision backs will soon be supported by eXposure software, which has a better live video mode, with brightness, contrast, colour picker to neutralise the shot, and apparently uses the same HQ mode when using Schneider shutters.

I haven't got any 1-shot vs 4-shot examples handy, but the difference in colour reproduction (with the Eyelike backs at least) can be seen clearly in reds. I shoot a lot of food, and if I shoot for example a dessert with lots of red raspberries on top, 4-shot mode not only gives a more accurate red, but the edges of red objects have a smoother appearance, with no faint black outline which occurs when shot in 1-shot mode on the edges of the berries and on the tiny individual hairs on them when pixel peeping at 100%. Overlapping greens and reds can also have this harsh edge between them that disappears when shot in 4-shot mode. FWIW I haven't noticed this with my new eMotion 75 back, which is obviously only 1-shot - maybe the interpolation is better with this back. Don't forget also that 4-shot mode eliminates moire.

When I get into the studio I will search for a 1-shot vs 4-shot crop for you in my archives.

Ben

Imaginara

live video quality
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 02:59:19 pm »

Quote from: bdp
I think Precision backs will soon be supported by eXposure software, which has a better live video mode, with brightness, contrast, colour picker to neutralise the shot, and apparently uses the same HQ mode when using Schneider shutters.

According to Sinar (throug Thierry  eXposure will not support older backs so the M11/M22 Precisions will unfortunately not work. I personally would love to see this change as i have a M11 myself but i am not holding my breath

bdp

live video quality
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 03:45:24 pm »

Quote from: Imaginara
According to Sinar (throug Thierry  eXposure will not support older backs so the M11/M22 Precisions will unfortunately not work. I personally would love to see this change as i have a M11 myself but i am not holding my breath

Hmm, that would be very bad news, because Eyelike Capture Pro is no longer supported since the merger between Sinar and Jenoptik. So if, for example, a new version of OS X comes out and Eyelike Capture Pro no longer works, all Eyelike owners will be left with non working backs or be unable to upgrade to the latest operating system. I'm sure Michael Guthmann said in an old thread that Precision backs are planned to be supported in future versions of eXposure. Eyelike Capture Pro raw files and galleries are already supported, just not the ability to shoot tethered. Surely this is only a small step to include this ability? Thierry, Michael?

Ben

bdp

live video quality
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 06:15:16 pm »

Maybe you are thinking of the old fiberoptic backs from Sinar and Jenoptik? Just found this in an old thread:

Quote from: mattlap2
Kumar,

From my understanding it will NOT support Fiber Optic backs from Sinar or Eyelike.   If it's firewire it will be supported at some point.  (Someone posted on here ...don't know if it is factual that older backs support will be delayed to the future.)

Basic reasoning we were given last year (when I was still with Sinar Bron) was that the minimum system requirements were going to be a system that could not take the Fiber Optic backs.    When Apple changed the standards on the PCI interface on the G5 for the second time, Sinar decided it was cost prohibitive to manufacture another version of the PCI card.   You could in theory still use a magma box with the G5, however there are no drivers for those cards for an Intel Mac.

Matt LaPointe
Dodd Camera - Chicago
(219) 670-9905
mlapointe@doddcamera.com

Quote from: thsinar
Absolutely right, Matt.

Thierry

The Precision backs are firewire, so hopefully they'll be supported.
Ben

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
live video quality
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 07:04:49 pm »

I wish Sinar would give us some word on when older backs like the Precision series and the 43/54 Firewire backs will be supported by eXposure. The new version of eXposure was due at Photokina, but has still not been released.

Kumar

klane

live video quality
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 07:06:49 pm »

Yes that would influence my purchase, the 54h would be just as good though especially since the lc shutter is supported.

thsinar

• http://www.sinarcameras.com
live video quality
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 04:14:12 am »

I shall come back to you as soon as I have get all the information needed to answer this.

Thierry
Thierry Hagenauer
thasia_cn@yahoo.com

Imaginara

live video quality
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 04:53:29 am »

Ok. holding my breath again

klane

live video quality
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 10:41:47 pm »

Im confident that Thierry will have an answer. Ive already contacted him before on the older 43h/54h and the precision backs, his responses were very informative and fast

Imaginara

live video quality
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 08:36:37 am »

Any update on this Thierry? Turning blue here  
Pages: [1]   Go Up