Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT, LF WA and normal lens choice for 4x5  (Read 2250 times)

hs0zfe

OT, LF WA and normal lens choice for 4x5
« on: November 09, 2008, 02:55:43 am »

Hi All,

for a monorail 4x5" I need recommendations. Primary use will be wide angle photographs of buildings. In the past, I used Schneider's Super Angulon 90 mm. But that was about 20 years ago.

In addition to two WA lenses, I will also need a normal lens.

Then there are those shutter choices - I'm completely in the dark about Copal #3 or Compur etc. Precision and reliability is what I am looking for.

I chose MF over small cameras and now want to complement it with LF. When my business permits, I might add a digital back. Until then, it is start little and grow with film and scans of negatives to save costs.

Thank you!
Chris
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 02:56:24 am by hs0zfe »

dergiman

• http://www.philippderganz.com
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 03:26:46 am »

the idea of saving money by shooting film has to be doubted. the 90 superangulon is a good choice. if it worked for you then, it may do so today.
Philipp Derganz Photography
www.philippderganz.com
Architektur Photo
Wien, Austria

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 03:30:07 am »

Though my personal preference is Rodenstock, the Schneider SuperAngulon 90mm is still a good choice. You might want a 75 or 65 as well, and for normal focal lengths, a 135 or 150. Most lenses are mounted in Copal 0 or 1 shutters now. Only very large shutters need the 3 size. Compurs aren't made any more, I think.

Have you thought of shooting rollfilm in a LF camera? Then you might want 45, 55, 65 and 90mm lenses. If you would like to add a digital back later on, you might want something like a Sinar F series now, and you can add the P/P2/P3 components later on.  If you intend shooting only rollfilm in a view camera, look at the Cambo Ultima and ArcaSwiss 6x9 cameras. LF discussion is best at http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/

If you can lease a digital back, I seriously doubt you would save any money shooting film. You would charge for digital capture fees, which could be used to pay off the lease.

Cheers,
Kumar
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 03:33:43 am by Kumar »

micek

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 04:28:55 am »

I am an architectural photographer who worked with 4x5" film until last year. The lenses I used were the following:
Nikon 90mm f8 -small, light, sharp and with a great image circle (235mm)
Schneider's 72mm XL -heavy, large, with an even larger -and necessary- center filter, but indispensable
Schneider's 47XL and  58XL and Nikon's 65mm f4 -used infrequently, but at least one of them is necessary for those situations where only an ultra wide lens will do the job
I also have Schneider's  110XL, a wonderful lens with a huge image circle  (covers up to 8x10"), but for some reason I tended to use my 90mm more often.
Nikon 150mm SW and Rodenstock 180mm S -they are cheap, sharp and have large image circles

Camera: I used an Ebony SW45. Small, light, solid, extremely well built, easy and fast to use and specifically designed for architectural work.

If you are certain that you want to shoot 4x5"  film, the camera + 3 lenses outfit I'd recommend would be: Ebony SW45+72XL+110XL+150mm

On the other hand, if you are planning to move to a digital back in the near future, I'd go straight to a dedicated digital solution (Alpa, Cambo, Sinar artec), traditional monorails adapted to digital shooting tend to be heavier, more limited and more awkward to use. And digital solutions, if you buy second hand or negotiate directly with dealers are cheaper than you might think.

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 05:57:59 am »

i used schneiders for most lengths with 4x5", except the real long ones where i found nikon fantastic.
i used:
35xl schneider  ( covers 6x12 ) , 47xl schneider / 58xl schneider  / 72xl schneider/90 super angulon /110xl schneider /150  schneider ) /210 schneider/ 300 nikon

72 - 110 - 150 - 210 would be a chain which makes sens, maybe add a 47xl.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 06:08:21 am by rainer_v »
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp

mmurph

• http://
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 11:27:57 am »

My favorite lens for 4x5 film is the Rodenstock 90mm 4.5

It is a stunning lens that provides a bright groundglass, and allows some control of depth of field (it is sharp enough near wide open)

I bought the Caltar version for about $1,100 US new.  Used is usually somewhere just under $1,000.

I also have the Schneider 47mm and 65mm's, among others.

But, you will probably want to get new lenses when you go digital, so don't over buy. Schneider has a nice article on MTF for digital lenses on their site.

Pages: [1]   Go Up