Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Framing question  (Read 4271 times)

dwood

Framing question
« on: November 08, 2008, 10:06:53 pm »

I normally sell my prints matted but with no frame. Recently, at the request of a couple customers, I've gone ahead and framed their prints. For glazing, I used the 1/8" non-glare, UV protected Acrylite product. Looks nice enough when it's all put together but man, this stuff is easily scuffed. What are you folks using for glazing?

Dward

Framing question
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 10:27:03 pm »

Quote from: dwood
I normally sell my prints matted but with no frame. Recently, at the request of a couple customers, I've gone ahead and framed their prints. For glazing, I used the 1/8" non-glare, UV protected Acrylite product. Looks nice enough when it's all put together but man, this stuff is easily scuffed. What are you folks using for glazing?

I find that Plexi or Acrylite are too fragile and easily damaged, not to mention expensive (esp. the Plexi), so I use TruVue Conservation Clear for almost all my framing, unless the customer is willing to pay for TruVue Museum glass.  The latter is almost invisible, and very expensive.  Similar to the now-defunct Denglas.

David V. Ward, Ph. D.
David V. Ward Fine Art Photography
www.dvward.com

dwood

Framing question
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 10:39:15 pm »

Quote from: Dward
I find that Plexi or Acrylite are too fragile and easily damaged, not to mention expensive (esp. the Plexi), so I use TruVue Conservation Clear for almost all my framing, unless the customer is willing to pay for TruVue Museum glass.  The latter is almost invisible, and very expensive.  Similar to the now-defunct Denglas.

David V. Ward, Ph. D.
David V. Ward Fine Art Photography
www.dvward.com
Thanks for that David. I'll check out the TruVue product.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Framing question
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 12:55:56 am »

Where do you buy your Acrylite?  I get mine from the local plastic supplier who for $72 total will supply a 1/8 inch x 4 x 8 foot sheet cut accurately into as many pieces as I want.  That is much cheaper than glass.  My small city of 500,000 has at least three such suppliers.  The trick is to buy a lot at the same time, be sure to ask your supplier how he prices things out.  Acrylite FF is absolutely colorless and ripple free which dollar for dollar puts it way ahead of comparably priced glass.

It's been a long time since I had a scratching problem.  Spread bath towels out on your table when working with the plastic, leave them in place for closing the frame.  I always wipe down both sides with Novus #1 polish which completely kills the static charge, it's worth the effort since dust is no problem at all when closing the frame.  Use a fresh Scott blue paper shop towel for each side, they are lint free.  Look for them in the paint dept at Lowe's.

billg71

• http://www.billgrahamphotography.com
Framing question
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 05:49:26 pm »

Try here: http://www.framingsupplies.com/PictureFram...ictureGlass.htm Shipping could be expensive, though. They also have the Optix acrylic, but it's a lot more expensive.

I buy glass locally, from a framing wholesaler. True-Vue Conservation Clear UV runs about $78.00 (including sales tax) for a 50 sft. box in 16x20 or larger. Smaller sizes run about $85.00/box.

Bill
[span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%'][span style='color:blue']"The doctor told how he was once fishing in the Wind River area of Wyoming and he looked up and far above on the side of the canyon two dogs sat on a rock peeking at him from the brush that surrounded the rock. Only they weren't dogs, they were coyotes. They were curious about what he might be doing standing in a river waving a stick." [span style='color:black']Jim Harrison, Farmer[/span][/span][/span]

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Framing question
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 07:13:24 pm »

Yes, freight shipping is a killer.  Most freight companies want around $110+ minimum for any shipment so you need to buy enough to get way above the minimum.  For instance, 5 boxes of heavy picture frame moulding costs around $180 to ship halfway across the US, but one box is typically $110.00.

One recent surprise was a Fedex ground shipment of 2 heavy boxes from Universal Framing Products for a total of $71.00.  That seems like a great deal.  Might be worth looking into Fedex ground for glass shipments, your supplier will likely automatically go for a high dollar freight company.

BTW if you do wind up using a freight company be SURE you get a quote beforehand.  Those guys have a "standard" price which is around 3 to 4 times the "discounted price."  I once got billed $700+ (by UPS Shipping) for a three box shipment, fortunately we were able to negotiate down to $160.00, which was still a slight rip.  A good supplier will negotiate a decent freight price for you, but some will just throw you to the wolves!  Ask beforehand if you will receive a negotiated shipping price.

BTW2, if you have a local framing products supplier order through them.  Local suppliers usually don't surcharge for shipping.  Could be worth a short drive to pick up, and some suppliers even have free delivery in their areas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up