Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why bother with the G10? Use THIS for "P&S"  (Read 14953 times)

Moynihan

• jay moynihan:  glances stares & nods
Why bother with the G10? Use THIS for "P&S"
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2008, 12:39:38 pm »

Despite the polemical nature of the OP, i find this tread interesting.
The G10 appears to be of interest to serious photographers, much as the G9 was. I must say that I too am attracted to it.
I was at one time interested in the E420 & 25mm pancake combo myself. But after examining lens tests on it, I concluded that it it was not for me.
P&S cameras can do rather well at low ISO's and non-huge print sizes. My Fuji's (F20, s6000fd, s9100) bear that out.

My main "carry around" right now, is a Nikon D60 with a 35mm f/2 AF-D lense. On that body, it manually focuses, but fully meters, and the lense is wonderful, optically. Its perspective is similar to a 52mm in 35mm format terms. For me, it was a good way to go, since my other DSLR is also a Nikon, as are most of my film bodies.

The "pocketable" aspect is a siren song to me though  

That new Foveon one with a normal lens, (Sigma something), or perhaps a future generation of Micro-4/3, or............. a G10......................
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 12:42:24 pm by Moynihan »

OldRoy

• http://
Why bother with the G10? Use THIS for "P&S"
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2008, 02:55:11 pm »

In relation to these considerations does anyone recall or own the Canon "Pro1"? When I bought mine (mists of time) it looked a far better option than the consumer DRSLs available at that point. Metal construction, F2.8, 28mm equiv. X 5, articulated screen, decent ergonomics, WA and TC lenses available. A bit bigger than its siblings at the time and now, but about the same as the current 4/3 cameras (who dreamed up that ridiculous designation?)

Unfortunately it wasn't as robust as it looks (are any non-professional cameras?) Dropping it from about 18" cost me £150 (fixed charge). Then I got it wet a couple of years ago and now it's brain has become subject to wandering, like my own. I'm reluctant to spend yet another £150 on repairs which would mean that its TCO would come to £900!!!

But I think it was ahead of its time. Is it worth spending £400 to replace it with a G10? Hmm.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up