Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson CD printer, biggest piece of C ever bought  (Read 3084 times)

kevs

Epson CD printer, biggest piece of C ever bought
« on: November 08, 2008, 12:28:23 pm »

I got the 260 year ago, only for ability print CD's, and the CD tray with not align anymore, the arrows wont match up. I've got $70 worth of ink in there an cannot print. I've tried everything. Anyone else have this experience? thanks.
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

Dan Wells

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 12:20:29 am »

Quote from: kevs
I got the 260 year ago, only for ability print CD's, and the CD tray with not align anymore, the arrows wont match up. I've got $70 worth of ink in there an cannot print. I've tried everything. Anyone else have this experience? thanks.

Yes, unfortunately... Went through no less than three of these (different models) getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 100-150 CDs out of each, before some mechanical part wears down enough that the tray gets harder and harder to align. Finally bought a Primera, which works perfectly every time, but the printer itself is overpriced, and the ink is worse. Full color CDs on the Primera are between 50 - 75 cents each, due to the exorbitantly priced, miniscule capacity three - color cartridge ( a standard Lexmark cartridge, but chipped differently so Primera can sell it for twice as much). If the Primera were $500 instead of $1000, and the ink were not unusually expensive, I'd recommend it without hesitation. As it stands, it's the only decent solution for a certain type of CD printing (volumes between where the throwaway Epsons are practical and where sending the discs out for duplication and printing makes sense). If you're doing 50 CDs or DVDs a year, just accept that you'll be replacing an Epson every couple years, if you're doing 2000 of the same design, send it out, but if you do hundreds of CDs a year, and especially if those are a mix of designs, the Primera is the only viable option.

kevs

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 12:31:40 pm »

Thanks Dan! very nice, finally to discover that someone else has been in this boat.
I had no idea.
I though maybe this is a fluke.

So what's the deal with the tray not going in all way? It stops about and inch short of aligning the arrows. I don't get that still.

I'ts only printed a couple of hundred cds! It's in mint condition!

Can I fix this? or do I have to toss it in the trash? I had a workaround of lifiting the inside carraige or whatever you call it to get the tray in, but it would not print good.

Well, I would not spend a penny more for printed CDs as I think the Epson ink is already overpriced.

John: have a url link to Dymo? never heard of it.  I spent an eternity getting my disclabel template set up just right.

I have the 2400, but I would not want to put wear and tear on it, and that hack would take me 25 hours to figure out, not worth it.

Dan Wells

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 01:40:43 pm »

I've never used the DYMO, but I did just look it up, and it may or may not be interesting, depending on the application. The ink is still very expensive (similar to the Primera - 40 cents a disc or more (one Amazon review says 100 discs per $40 cartridge, while another says 35 discs per cartridge) for ink alone, bringing the total cost of the CD to 75 cents to $1.25), and a proprietary cartridge that will keep the price high (neither this nor the Primera will sell in enough volume to interest any third-party ink company). It's slow (about the same speed as the Epson, and significantly slower than the Primera). It's a three-color, single cartridge printer, reducing potential quality and increasing ink cost - a yellow disc will run the yellow out very quickly (for example), and any disc with a lot of black will run all three colors down quickly while producing muddy, greenish-brown blacks. Most Primeras are four-color, dual cartridge machines(they make a three-color, single-cartridge version, but it's not much cheaper than their least expensive four-color model). A four-color, dual cartridge (three-color plus a separate black)printer will have the same problem with yellow discs as a three-color printer, but the disc with black both looks better and uses up a larger-capacity, much cheaper black cartridge instead of the expensive color cartridge. The other drawback of the Dymo compared to the Primera is that it is a single-loader and has to be babysat every few minutes, while the Primera will do a run of 25 discs at a time (there are versions that do many more than that)  That said, it is a much cheaper machine than the Primera, and it seems to do essentially the same thing for about the same ink cost (unless you use a lot of black. At this point, all three have their place.

Epson for less than 50-100 discs per year - just know that the PRINTER is a consumable - which is environmentally HORRIBLE!

Dymo for 100-400 discs per year, spread out over the year, and of many different designs, so the single load isn't a big deal

Primera for 200-1000 discs per year, especially if there are a lot of batches of 10-100 of the same design in there where the Primera's loader is a big time-saver. The cost calculation between Dymo and Primera depends on two things - the time involved in reloading the Dymo and the amount of black on the discs, which gives the Primera an ink cost advantage.

Send out any job where the volume makes the setup cost worth it (a 100 disc job costs about the same to send out or run yourself, while a 1,000 disc job is much, MUCH cheaper to send out). A press is expensive to set up, but it prints the disc using a few pennies worth of ink instead of a dollar's worth.

-dan

kevs

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 09:59:23 pm »

again, curious:

So what's the deal with the tray not going in all way? It stops about and inch short of aligning the arrows. I don't get that still.

I'ts only printed a couple of hundred cds! It's in mint condition!

Can I fix this? or do I have to toss it in the trash? I had a workaround of lifiting the inside carraige or whatever you call it to get the tray in, but it would not print good.

Dan Wells

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 10:18:55 pm »

I didn't dissect the broken ones to figure out exactly what was going on - I do know that nobody fixes these, they're not designed for repair (since they cost only $100 and are made in a country where the prevailing wage is a few percent of what it is in the US or Europe, it is almost by definition uneconomical for a tech even to take a look at it here). Epson knows this is true, so they design them to be almost impossible to take apart and get back together (lots of tab and slot fasteners you'll never get apart without breaking them instead of screws) to save a few bucks on parts costs. If you're mechanically skilled, you may be able to find a stripped gear or a weak spring causing the issue, and it is sometimes possible to replace the springs yourself... I find all of this type of design terribly sad...

-Dan

kevs

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 05:08:38 pm »

thanks Dan, I would just love to know what the deal is.  I wish there was an Epson shop nearby. I'm in Santa Moncia

cottagehunter

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 10:23:14 pm »

Quote from: kevs
thanks Dan, I would just love to know what the deal is.  I wish there was an Epson shop nearby. I'm in Santa Moncia

I have the epson R220 and 200. Earlier this month I had problems printing cds on the 220 and found that if I left the receiving trays extended it supported the cd tray better and it eliminated the problems. Hope this is of help

kevs

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 12:38:36 am »

Sorry, don't know what that means, leaving trays extended.  There is only one way the tray will go in on 260 - no choice in matter
Pages: [1]   Go Up