Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: H3D and Metz 54MZ-3  (Read 2273 times)

Mats Elerud

H3D and Metz 54MZ-3
« on: November 07, 2008, 09:20:20 am »

Hi!

At a few ocassions, I have tried to use my Metz with the H3D connecting it to the hot shoe of the camera. The onle and to me little weired setting where I get it to work is by setting the camera to either P or Pv and the flash to M This way, I can´t control neither the flash nor the camera.

From my point of view, it would be more logical to either set the camera on Manual plus e.g. f11 and 1/125 and flash in TTL mode with same settings or the flash to Manual and use the TTL system of the camera.

It would be great if somebody could "enlighten" me on this.

Shooting studio flashes is no problem by normally setting the camera to Manual, use a trigger mounted on the hot shoe and then just measure the light.

Has anybody experience from using the new Metz 74 together with H3D?

Btw, is Metz 74 MZ-5 together with my current 54 MZ-3 a reasonable portable solution if you don´t want to travell with Strobes and heavy battery packs?

Thanks for any support.

Mats
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 12:37:16 pm by Mats Elerud »

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
H3D and Metz 54MZ-3
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 07:13:31 am »

Hi Mats,

Have you read the section on TTL flash in the manual?

Best,

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Mats Elerud

H3D and Metz 54MZ-3
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 08:36:29 am »

Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
Hi Mats,

Best,

David

Hi David,

and thanks for your very relevant question. Answer is yes and no, as I didn´t finish the reading properly. However, the flash is not flashing properly everytime. Seems like the flash is resetting from the main flash and sometime just making a minor test flash. Here, I have to study the manual of the flash to make sure I am controlling it properly. However, even the camera is sometimes ressetting from the "flash measure" to "Normal sync" Based on your referens to the manual and its reading, it seems clear that you just can use the camera´s meter system and not the one from the flash, which is fine as long as you can finetune aperture (and shutter speed when using the flash outdoor for flash filling).

I imagine, it is not your role to comment on Metz flash systems suitability as a light carry portable flash system for the H3D. But maybe there are some professional photographers out in the cyberspace that can share their experience in using the Metz 74 MZ-5 together with MZ-3 as a slave.

For a couple of weeks I have my hands on Phocus for PC and it is a true positive step compared to Flexcolor. Now, you just have to catch up with some of the most important features of e.g. Lightroom to make it a complete tool. This issue has well been covered in an other thread and I fully support views of those members.

David, thanks for guiding me that little footstep to solve the small problem with the flash and a BIG welcome onboard to this forum making a big difference through your concie responses setting things right and clarifying Hasselblads view on the current and future system. I grew up with Hasselblad and even met Victor Hasselblad as a kid several times and it is an important legacy you have to carry forward.

Regarding another thread where somebody is comparing some MFD with 35 mm formats. This weekend, I am particpating in in a workshop covering Fine Art Nude Photography with some of the top notch professionals here in the Philippines using Canon, Nikon high end cameras and they are just stunned with the resolution and sharpness of the H3D-22 that I am using. For them, it is impossible to even get close to that resolution, skinn tones and details in shadows. It is just a fabolous system!

Mats

Mats Elerud

H3D and Metz 54MZ-3
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 08:37:57 am »

Quote from: David Grover / Hasselblad
Hi Mats,

Best,

David

Hi David,

and thanks for your very relevant question. Answer is yes and no, as I didn´t finish the reading properly. However, the flash is not flashing properly everytime. Seems like the flash is resetting from the main flash and sometime just making a minor test flash. Here, I have to study the manual of the flash to make sure I am controlling it properly. However, even the camera is sometimes ressetting from the "flash measure" to "Normal sync" Based on your referens to the manual and its reading, it seems clear that you just can use the camera´s meter system and not the one from the flash, which is fine as long as you can finetune aperture (and shutter speed when using the flash outdoor for flash filling).

I imagine, it is not your role to comment on Metz flash systems suitability as a light carry portable flash system for the H3D. But maybe there are some professional photographers out in the cyberspace that can share their experience in using the Metz 74 MZ-5 together with MZ-3 as a slave.

For a couple of weeks I have my hands on Phocus for PC and it is a true positive step compared to Flexcolor. Now, you just have to catch up with some of the most important features of e.g. Lightroom to make it a complete tool. This issue has well been covered in an other thread and I fully support views of those members.

David, thanks for guiding me that little footstep to solve the small problem with the flash and a BIG welcome onboard to this forum making a big difference through your concie responses setting things right and clarifying Hasselblads view on the current and future system. I grew up with Hasselblad and even met Victor Hasselblad as a kid several times and it is an important legacy you have to carry forward.

Regarding another thread where somebody is comparing some MFD with 35 mm formats. This weekend, I am particpating in in a workshop covering Fine Art Nude Photography with some of the top notch professionals here in the Philippines using Canon, Nikon high end cameras and they are just stunned with the resolution and sharpness of the H3D-22 that I am using. For them, it is impossible to even get close to that resolution, skinn tones and details in shadows. It is just a fabolous system!

Mats
Pages: [1]   Go Up