Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Macpro purchase questions  (Read 3383 times)

canlogic

• http://
Macpro purchase questions
« on: November 07, 2008, 09:04:19 am »

About to get a Macpro. I have been using an iMac for the last couple of years. Just wondering if there is a significant difference in performance between the 2.8, 3 and 3.2 machines. I plan on putting 8-10 gig of ram. which is the best video card option I will be using it for LR2,PS4 90% and a little HD video editing.
Thanks
1dmkIII, some lenses, Epson 7880, iMac,

Anthony R

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 11:37:39 am »

Wait.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Pro

other good info on the site as well.

tcphoto

• Tony Clark Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 11:40:40 am »

Quote from: canlogic
About to get a Macpro. I have been using an iMac for the last couple of years. Just wondering if there is a significant difference in performance between the 2.8, 3 and 3.2 machines. I plan on putting 8-10 gig of ram. which is the best video card option I will be using it for LR2,PS4 90% and a little HD video editing.
Thanks

I would check out www.macrumors.com for their buyers guide. It seems that the MacPro is due for an update in January at Macworld. I would hold off if you can unless you absolutely need it now. The displays should be updated at the same time with all glossy and no matte options.

Anthony R

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 11:50:25 am »

RE: .."difference in performance between the 2.8, 3 and 3.2 machines"

Generally, the difference is slight when it comes to processor speed. The higher ghz machines sell better later on.

Get the minimum when it comes to harddrives and ram and go with aftermarket, non Apple (never apple products anyway, they just charge a premium) and put in fast drives 7200+ and grab your Ram from Crucial (where Apple gets it) or other reputable dealer. I can't really comment on graphics cards other than you get what you pay for. Do a little research for your specific needs. Most cards and talk of them is geared toward gaming rather than professional use so you'll have to weed through.

GregW

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 12:14:55 pm »

Quote from: Anthony R
Get the minimum when it comes to harddrives and ram and go with aftermarket, non Apple (never apple products anyway, they just charge a premium) and put in fast drives 7200+ and grab your Ram from Crucial (where Apple gets it) or other reputable dealer.

I'd suggest checking the offer very carefully. Much to my surprise Apple's RAM upgrades on the latest Macbooks are very competitive with 3rd party suppliers.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 12:15:36 pm by GregW »

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 02:26:35 pm »

Quote from: GregW
I'd suggest checking the offer very carefully. Much to my surprise Apple's RAM upgrades on the latest Macbooks are very competitive with 3rd party suppliers.
8x2 GB memory with the Mac Pro: add USD 3,500.

Third party (xPCgear.com), Kingston KTA-MP800K2/4G 4GB kit 2x2GB, four kits: add USD 950 plus shipping.

I don't call that anywhere near competitive.

You can get a set of four 8 GB (2x4GB) kits for a bit more than 3,600, maxing out available memory slots, or very nearly a Nikon D700 and the 16 GB of RAM instead.
Jan

canlogic

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 02:41:46 pm »

Decided on a 2.8 with 8 gig ram (2x4) and a 1tb drive. I think the video card is a 8800 gt supposed to be the best option short of the 3k model. Couldn't wait till macworld as I needed it now. Got it with the new NEC 26" monitor. I have a couple of spare 1tb barracudas I can put in it and a new drobo for backup.
1dmkIII, some lenses, Epson 7880, iMac,
Pages: [1]   Go Up