Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: canon tether speed on new macbook pro....part 27  (Read 3522 times)

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
canon tether speed on new macbook pro....part 27
« on: November 06, 2008, 07:09:59 pm »

i know it seems like i am beating a dead horse with this post and graham will probably flog me and try to vote me off the island....but i read tests that the new MBPs (and MBs) have much faster USB ports (i guess that is supposed to make up for the lack of a FW400 port?)...either way they are tested to be almost twice as fast (i always thought it was the canon usb drivers slowing things down...maybe that is an additional bottleneck...)....

so if anyone has had a chance to test tethered speed with the new MBPs or even MBs....please report....thanks

arashm

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 09:55:54 pm »

Hi
I just took delivery of the new MBP 2.4 model
I have not had a chance to test this properly and will report once I do!
however the USB speed does indeed *Feel* faster
I noticed it first while transferring files via usb from an external HDD that only has FW400 and USB.
I'm in the studio tomorrow and will take notes!
am

PS as much as I hate glossy screens, the screen is not as tragic as I had imagined, and it calibrated quite well (for a laptop) with eye-one!

pss

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 11:01:43 pm »

Quote from: arashm
Hi
I just took delivery of the new MBP 2.4 model
I have not had a chance to test this properly and will report once I do!
however the USB speed does indeed *Feel* faster
I noticed it first while transferring files via usb from an external HDD that only has FW400 and USB.
I'm in the studio tomorrow and will take notes!
am

PS as much as I hate glossy screens, the screen is not as tragic as I had imagined, and it calibrated quite well (for a laptop) with eye-one!

they are saying USB is almost as fast as FW400 on these (within 5%) unlike the older style where it was more like half the speed.....

looking forward to your findings....
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 11:02:12 pm by pss »

dustblue

• http://www.moko.cc/dustblue
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 01:35:30 am »

I got the MB470 which is the lower end new MBP, I've tested it with a Nikon D700 with the LR tethered plugin by mountain-storm, it worked perfect, same speed as my bulky PC. However I find the LED display a bit disappoint because just a little off angle would result in very obvious hue/brightness shift. Maybe it just should be like that, since I don't have a previous MBP model I can't compare, and I don't know if the display just got worse. But I'm sure if someone wanna use this for a color-critical works instead of just a tethering laptop, he/she would be f***d up.

Edit: I got non issue except the display, however the display is not indeed bad, it's just not that good, compare to my monitors for retouching. And yes maybe I shouldn't expect so much for a 2.5 kg laptop...

« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 01:39:04 am by dustblue »

flashfredrikson

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 02:56:15 am »

pss, I am all the way with you beating that dead horse :-)
I read the same on the new macc book pros's  usb ports and it sounds promising, so please everybody who already uses a new mbp, please test your canon's speed.
Until now the bottleneck was not canon's but apple's usb driver, which was proved and very much improved by using vm ware fusion and windows xp to tether (my current setup). What really makes me wonder, because it seems to be a software thing, if apple uses new usb drivers on the new mbps, why can't we have new drivers for older machines via software update?

anyway, I am really looking forwards for anybodys results.

cheers,
martin

pss

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 10:59:21 am »

Quote from: flashfredrikson
What really makes me wonder, because it seems to be a software thing, if apple uses new usb drivers on the new mbps, why can't we have new drivers for older machines via software update?

my thoughts exactly....but i have a feeling that won't happen.....too good to be true....

arashm

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 12:37:53 pm »

Hello everyone
so some numbers...
the new MBP USB is indeed faster than the last one
it takes 8 sec from capture to preview (c1 4.5.2) on my old MBP 2.2 / 4G Ram, 200 GIG 7200 RPM HDD
the new machine was between 6-7 Sec from capture to preview, ( new machine 2.4 / 4G Ram, 320 GIG 7200 RPM HDD)
it does feel faster but unfortunately in practice it did not feel any different, I still consistently hit the buffer and had to wait painfully for it to clear!
so back to installing VMware on this machine
thanks
am

Carsten W

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 12:57:29 pm »

Hello everyone
so some numbers...
it takes 8 sec from capture to preview (c1 4.5.2) on my old MBP 2.2 / 4G Ram, 200 GIG 7200 RPM HDD
the new machine was between 6-7 Sec from capture to preview, ( new machine 2.4 / 4G Ram, 320 GIG 7200 RPM HDD)
it does feel faster but unfortunately in practice it did not feel any different, I still consistently hit the buffer and had to wait painfully for it to clear!
thanks
am

Which Canon do you use? In order to eliminate the Canon from the equation, can you try some file transfers with a USB and a Firewire drive? Or perhaps copying files from a memory card? Or try a Nikon? Some of the older Canons had poor USB performance, and I don't know if this has been fixed in newer models.
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

arashm

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 01:22:24 pm »

Oh sorry
it was a Canon EOS 1Ds Mk3
forgot to put that in there.
I can already tell you about file transfer
FW 800 is the same but USB is slightly faster while copying data from a 7200 RPM External harddrive!
if you wish I'll break out my stopwatch once I get home and have both machines side by each  
am

Carsten W

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 05:04:41 pm »

Oh sorry
it was a Canon EOS 1Ds Mk3
forgot to put that in there.
I can already tell you about file transfer
FW 800 is the same but USB is slightly faster while copying data from a 7200 RPM External harddrive!
if you wish I'll break out my stopwatch once I get home and have both machines side by each  
am

Nah, too much trouble  But, so comparing FW400 and USB, how do they rate in general, and for tethering now? I presume that FW800 is still significantly faster.
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

flashfredrikson

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 05:50:33 pm »

Hello everyone
so some numbers...
thanks
am

bummer  
Pages: [1]   Go Up