Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem syncing Aptus 22 with copal press shutters  (Read 2617 times)

photosoph

• http://www.gunterbinsack.de
Problem syncing Aptus 22 with copal press shutters
« on: November 06, 2008, 05:23:52 am »

I use my Aptus 22 on an Arca Swiss. The lenses have copal press shutters (the self-cocking ones), which I find very convinient. However, with exposure times longer than 1/2 second I have the problem, that the images turn out almost black, as if the back exposes only for a fraction of the time, or they do have streaks in them. B does not work at all.
I found a very unvonvinient workaround, using two releases: I open the shutter of the lens with a cable release, then I release the back by short-circuiting the cable which should go to the lens. After the required exposure time I close the lens, then the back. That is not very professional for a 15 grand system.
Can the copal press shutters be modified or ajusted so that they work properly? Or do I have to switch to copal shutters?
The back is working fine with a 500 series Hasselblad.
Thanks for answers
gunter

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 07:04:53 am »

I recall that there was a problem about Copal Press shutters. Not sure whether it related to flash sync or something else.
I have Prontor Professional shutters, and I have had no problems, with an Eyelike Precision M11 and a PhaseOne H20. I should add that I do not use flash, only ambient light, with exposures from 1/30th of a second to 32 seconds.

Cheers,
Kumar

klane

• I live in a c-stand fort.
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 11:57:36 am »

I can confirm this. I dont know if its only an issue with leaf backs...but I could never get exposures longer than 1 second.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 11:57:54 am by klane »

GregShapps

• http://www.shappsphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 02:03:48 pm »

this happens with older Phase H backs

yaya

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 08:01:26 am »

Quote from: photosoph
I use my Aptus 22 on an Arca Swiss. The lenses have copal press shutters (the self-cocking ones), which I find very convinient. However, with exposure times longer than 1/2 second I have the problem, that the images turn out almost black, as if the back exposes only for a fraction of the time, or they do have streaks in them. B does not work at all.
I found a very unvonvinient workaround, using two releases: I open the shutter of the lens with a cable release, then I release the back by short-circuiting the cable which should go to the lens. After the required exposure time I close the lens, then the back. That is not very professional for a 15 grand system.
Can the copal press shutters be modified or ajusted so that they work properly? Or do I have to switch to copal shutters?
The back is working fine with a 500 series Hasselblad.
Thanks for answers
gunter

Gunter it sounds like your shutters may need to go in for a service. It could be that the little spring that is used for the timing inside the X-sync socket in worn.

In any case, I have asked our support team to try and reproduce this problem in the factory and I should be hearing back from them within a couple of days.

Yair

photosoph

• http://www.gunterbinsack.de
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 02:46:35 am »

Thanks a lot for the answers so far. I'll stay tuned to see what Yaya finds out.
Would there be a place in Germany to get it fixed?
gunter
Pages: [1]   Go Up