Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D-Rollers for HP satin  (Read 2720 times)

Charles Gast

D-Rollers for HP satin
« on: November 04, 2008, 03:44:33 pm »

I have a D-roller which works great for matte media. It de curls in seconds. With HP Pro satin I have to leave prints in the D-Roller for hours to get the curl out.  I think maybe a smaller diameter rod would work better but if anyone knows of a better way please let me know.

a.lorge

D-Rollers for HP satin
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 06:14:57 pm »

I flatten prints in a hot press.  Let the press heat up to 170 degrees or so and put your print between 2 release boards and then stick it in the press for about 5 minutes.  Then let the prints cool down while it's still between the boards for about 10 minutes.  When you take it out it should be flat.  I've done this is a vacuum press and also a mechanical press like this one: ebay press  and have had good results with the hp pro satin.

rdonson

D-Rollers for HP satin
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 06:55:59 pm »

HP Pro Satin is a fairly substantial RC so it will take a while to uncurl.  One trick I've tried is to skew it a bit in the d-roller rather than straight on.  In other words, its at a bit of an angle as its rolled.
Regards,
Ron

Charles Gast

D-Rollers for HP satin
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 08:38:27 pm »

Quote from: rdonson
HP Pro Satin is a fairly substantial RC so it will take a while to uncurl.  One trick I've tried is to skew it a bit in the d-roller rather than straight on.  In other words, its at a bit of an angle as its rolled.

Thanks for the feedback! Since I already paid over $200 for the D-roller I'll give the skewed loading a shot = )

rdonson

D-Rollers for HP satin
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 08:53:08 pm »

Quote from: Charles Gast
Thanks for the feedback! Since I already paid over $200 for the D-roller I'll give the skewed loading a shot = )

Good luck. Let us know if it works for you.
Regards,
Ron

Charles Gast

D-Rollers for HP satin
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 02:01:30 pm »

I think I saw that the D-roller came in two diameters. Now I only see one diameter available. I am not sure if I have the 150 or the 200 since I cant find size references. The rod size on mine is 1.5 inch diameter so maybe thats what the 150 refers to. I'll bet if the D-roller could be heated to 140F or so it would de-curl that pro satin in 5 minutes! Dont really see a practical way to do it though.

rdonson

D-Rollers for HP satin
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 07:19:53 pm »

I have the 1.5" D-roller as well.  Got mine from Shades of Paper.  I never saw an option on the roller other than 24" or 50" wide.

With regards to heating one to 140F I have no idea how to do that.  I also don't know how that might effect the pigment inks or RC either.
Regards,
Ron

Charles Gast

D-Rollers for HP satin
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 07:16:12 am »

Well the cross rolling didn't really help alot. It cut the time down a bit but it leaves the edges curled up at the end.  I am fairly certain that at least at one time a roller with a 1 inch tube was available for more difficult papers like RC.  Maybe they didn't sell enough. A smaller tube is probably the answer.

Charles Gast

D-Rollers for HP satin
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 11:36:05 am »

Using a hair dryer to warm the paper as I am rolling it up makes a huge difference.  I then leave it rolled up for about 15 minutes and when it comes out it is un curled the same as it would have been if rolled cold and left for 4 hours.

rdonson

D-Rollers for HP satin
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 03:07:18 pm »

Thanks for sharing the tip, Charles!!!
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up