Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seitz 6x17 Digital 160 million pixel camera  (Read 3717 times)

Ed Jack

Seitz 6x17 Digital 160 million pixel camera
« on: November 04, 2008, 01:16:42 pm »

It will be 2 years in january since the  Seitz 6x17 Digital 160 million pixel camera made it's debut. Has anyone used one... it seems (seemed) to promise so much, but just doesn't get a mention anywhere.
I don't think I've even seen a large print made from one. I guess costing more than any single shot digital back no-one has gone for it perhaps ? It is a large piece of kit mind you - even if it is easier to use in the field that a Betterlight scanning back. Certianly the ability to use much of the imaging circle of large format lenses to (draw the image) will be quite appealing to many a photographer with this "legacy kit" anyway. There seems to have been little development of the huge potential of the unique Dalsa D3 rapid scnining chip used - even though it seemed unique - producing quality images at an iso equiv.  of1:20,000   !! Seitz did mention the possibity of using it as a 6X9 or even 6X6 config. on say an Alpa or even a MF 6x6 set-up as the back scans so quickly that it is almost like a single shot back in many repects.

Just thought I'd mention it, as apparently there will be one to "play with" at Focus on imaging in Feb. I don't know if Seitz has a few units to shift (such a unique and expensive item is probably made to order), but maybe you can get a dealon these thing now (they'd still be silly money, but with the credit crunch, you might get a nice set up for less $$)!

Anyway, I just wondered if any one had ever used one (Colin Prior ?)

Ed

Ed Jack

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 03:32:31 pm »

Quote from: Ed Jack
It will be 2 years in january since the  Seitz 6x17 Digital 160 million pixel camera made it's debut. Has anyone used one... it seems (seemed) to promise so much, but just doesn't get a mention anywhere.
I don't think I've even seen a large print made from one. I guess costing more than any single shot digital back no-one has gone for it perhaps ? It is a large piece of kit mind you - even if it is easier to use in the field that a Betterlight scanning back. Certianly the ability to use much of the imaging circle of large format lenses to (draw the image) will be quite appealing to many a photographer with this "legacy kit" anyway. There seems to have been little development of the huge potential of the unique Dalsa D3 rapid scnining chip used - even though it seemed unique - producing quality images at an iso equiv.  of1:20,000   !! Seitz did mention the possibity of using it as a 6X9 or even 6X6 config. on say an Alpa or even a MF 6x6 set-up as the back scans so quickly that it is almost like a single shot back in many repects.

Just thought I'd mention it, as apparently there will be one to "play with" at Focus on imaging in Feb. I don't know if Seitz has a few units to shift (such a unique and expensive item is probably made to order), but maybe you can get a dealon these thing now (they'd still be silly money, but with the credit crunch, you might get a nice set up for less $$)!

Anyway, I just wondered if any one had ever used one (Colin Prior ?)

Ed

70 views and no comment... yet - the mystery deepens (maybe this thing was about as real as mega vsions 22MP back ?)  

Dave Carter

• http://
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 04:15:23 pm »

There was a Seitz 6x17 to play with at the recent PDN Show in New York City.  Peter Seitz was there as well.  Oh yes, he had a very large picture hanging at the booth.  I think it must have been about 8 - 10' tall and about 3' wide.  (I did not measure it).  It was a waterfall.  I can not say much more about it, because I did not have a high level of interest in the camera.

I did spend some time talking to him about the Roundshot as that does look neat.  Much smaller kit and faster than Betterlight.  I have not shot files with it yet, so do not want to comment on quality but I think it probably is pretty good.  And more flexible then the camera you asked about.  Of course you need a notebook computer in the field with it.

I talked to him also about a scanning back for my Alpa.  As you probably know they work very closely with Alpa as a machine house.  I think it may be in the future but who knows.

Hope this helps,
Dave

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 06:35:40 pm »

I'm sure that there is someone out there who needs one of these bizarre things...

but there might only be the one who both needs and can afford it.

@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 06:38:45 pm »

That camera looks like it would run circles around MF SLRs for landscape work, yet there seems to be many landscape shooters here using Phamiya or Hasselbad. Strange choice, if you ask me.

elitegroup

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 07:50:42 pm »

Has anyone used this camera? and can you show us some pics  

marcmccalmont

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 09:46:48 pm »

Quote from: foto-z
That camera looks like it would run circles around MF SLRs for landscape work, yet there seems to be many landscape shooters here using Phamiya or Hasselbad. Strange choice, if you ask me.

Probably because a single shot camera plus good stitching software renders moving objects like waves and clouds more realistically
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 01:10:28 am »

Quote from: marcmccalmont
Probably because a single shot camera plus good stitching software renders moving objects like waves and clouds more realistically
Marc

Funny you should mention waves. They have posted some samples and they look fine.

See http://www.roundshot.ch/xml_1/internet/de/...8/d925/f974.cfm

Ed Jack

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 08:27:35 am »

Quote from: foto-z
Funny you should mention waves. They have posted some samples and they look fine.

See http://www.roundshot.ch/xml_1/internet/de/...8/d925/f974.cfm

Yes the classic issues surrounding a scanning back do not hold true with the D3 sensor, as it scans so very quickly. I think even the 6X17 on the highest res. setting still only takes less than 2 second to complete. As I said, I think this is due to the extremely high Iso nature of the sensor.

I suppose the point of this post I am making, is that this D3 sensor is stand-alone and has been developed to a high degree, but NOT applied as widely as it could be - surely Seitz are loosing money on this ?! Why not work with ALPA or someone else to make a 6x9 holder for the D3, you'd be looking at a 1 second scan time... not bad for all you view camera lovers ?!

Ed
Pages: [1]   Go Up