Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What size display is ideal ?  (Read 6109 times)

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
What size display is ideal ?
« on: November 04, 2008, 10:03:33 am »

I am looking to replace my aging monitor. I want to buy one that will carry me well into the next 5-6 years. While I've always purchased Apple monitors, I've been educated (on this site) that there are better brands on the market. The NEC LCD2690WUXi2-bk looks quite impressive, as does the NEC LCD3090WQXi-bk. If any of you have used wither of these, please give me your feedback. Or if any of you have other options/brands (under $2000 please), let me know that too.

But, here's my real question -- what size screen is ideal for image editing? While big is impressive, I wonder if a 30" screen would be overwhelming. I wear bifocal glasses, so I'm afraid that I'd strain my neck looking over the entire screen. On the other hand, I could purchase a pair of glasses for photo work on the monitor. But even beyond the issue with glasses, is a 30" screen too big for desktop viewing?

Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 02:01:54 pm »

By all means, go 30 inch!!!  They( looked HUGE before I bought one....now I would be hard pressed to go smaller.  smaller would feel cramped after working with the 30 inch ....I have the apple cinema display.) eleanor

Quote from: bellimages
I am looking to replace my aging monitor. I want to buy one that will carry me well into the next 5-6 years. While I've always purchased Apple monitors, I've been educated (on this site) that there are better brands on the market. The NEC LCD2690WUXi2-bk looks quite impressive, as does the NEC LCD3090WQXi-bk. If any of you have used wither of these, please give me your feedback. Or if any of you have other options/brands (under $2000 please), let me know that too.

But, here's my real question -- what size screen is ideal for image editing? While big is impressive, I wonder if a 30" screen would be overwhelming. I wear bifocal glasses, so I'm afraid that I'd strain my neck looking over the entire screen. On the other hand, I could purchase a pair of glasses for photo work on the monitor. But even beyond the issue with glasses, is a 30" screen too big for desktop viewing?
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

michael

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 04:41:31 pm »

Like Eleanor I work with a 30" Cinemasdisplay and when I have to work with something smaller I really feel cramped.

It'll seem big for a day or so and then you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

Michael

Mike W

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 04:49:42 pm »

I prefer 24" over 30".
24 is big enough and I count smaller energy consumption as a plus....

mike.online

• http://mikedotonline.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 05:44:16 pm »

I personally have a 24" wide Samsung, and I love it. The gamut isn't as wide as some, but it gets the job done reasonably well for pretty cheap. I'm in and out of (computer) labs all the time that use 19" and some of our research computers really benefit from the 30" inch as well (some applications are better suited than others). So, as for comments that once you go 30" you never go back.... meh. It's not that big a deal for me to switch around.

However, I did find with a 19" using a dual monitor system is HUGELY beneficial. with the 24" I find i don't need it so much.  Currently i have the 24" for computing and my second monitor is a 32" TV... pretty much only used for videos when in conjunction with my computer.

This system seems to be treating me really well.

As for the bifocal, I do know someone who has noted that it is a pain to look across the whole screen, however I can't really comment. If I rotate the screen to portrait orientation it is getting pretty cumbersome to look over the whole thing, although it is nicer for reading journal articles (in PDF). Not that that relates to photography directly...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 05:46:23 pm by mike.online »

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 06:29:04 pm »

twin 23/24's is the way to go IMHO...

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 06:29:49 pm »

Quote from: michael
I work with a 30" Cinemasdisplay and when I have to work with something smaller I really feel cramped.

It'll seem big for a day or so and then you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

Precisely what I was going to say

Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 06:37:45 pm »

Maybe its something to do with my eyesight. But when I tried out a 30" I found I just had to sit another three feet away from the desk. So Nice NEC 26" it is for me.
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

Paul Sumi

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 06:40:16 pm »

I also have the 26" NEC 2690 (The old version. Wanted the wide gamut and hardware calibration).  But if someone wants to give me a new NEC 30" 3090, I wouldn't say no  

Paul
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 06:45:23 pm by PaulS »

vandevanterSH

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 07:26:03 pm »

Quote from: michael
Like Eleanor I work with a 30" Cinemasdisplay and when I have to work with something smaller I really feel cramped.

Michael

I have a 24" next to my 30"...I also feel cramped with the 24"...The 30" initially looks huge and then it becomes the "right" size.

Steve

Kagetsu

• Refractive Labs
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 08:30:53 pm »

Personally I enjoy working with 30" monitors too, and feel the same way, but one thing I have noticed is resolution can be a little deceptive. The largest files I work with are 1DsIII files, and when you zoom in, you expect to go a little further, but really only 2.1x magnification at best. That said, all 30" displays are S-IPS technology, so you'll be sure to get consistent workability from them.
I would like to see more LED backlit options out there though.

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 11:18:13 am »

Let's talk about LED backlit displays ........

Is it a proven fact that they are accurate enough for photographers? I know that there are some very nice benefits of using them (no warm up time, longer lifespan, less power consumption). But, with that said, should I not purchase the older LCD technology (like the NEC 2690 or 3090)???

I can not find what the light source is for teh NEC 2690 and 3090. I assume that they are florescent, like the Apple Cinema Displays. Does anyone know if this is correct. I'm surprised that NEC doesn't provide that information in their specs.
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

The View

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 12:06:27 am »

You  never want to step back down once you got a bigger monitor.

The wall's the limit.

But I'd say not under 24".
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 02:52:31 pm »

One other thought on monitor size...

Viewing a portrait orientation image on a 30" display at normal viewing distances and "fit-screen" resolution quickly becomes preferable to viewing same on anything smaller. OTOH, if you only ever shoot in landscape orientation, then a 24 is probably good enough...

Cheers,
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/
Pages: [1]   Go Up