Equipment & Techniques > Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography

Hasselblad Zeiss lenses and mamiya lenses comparison

<< < (2/4) > >>

rljones:
thanks jing for the post.

a couple of years ago, i compared on a Mamiya AFDii, the Hassy 120 macro vs the Mamiya 120 macro on a Leaf 65 back. the resolution was very similar but the striking difference was background bokeh. the Zeiss lens seemed as if it was 1 stop larger than the Mamiya, with DOF of f5.6 similar to f4 on the Mamiya. i too noticed the slight color difference you mention.

woof75:

--- Quote from: rljones ---thanks jing for the post.

a couple of years ago, i compared on a Mamiya AFDii, the Hassy 120 macro vs the Mamiya 120 macro on a Leaf 65 back. the resolution was very similar but the striking difference was background bokeh. the Zeiss lens seemed as if it was 1 stop larger than the Mamiya, with DOF of f5.6 similar to f4 on the Mamiya. i too noticed the slight color difference you mention.
--- End quote ---

Sounds about right to me. The Mamiya 80mm AF really is an incredible lens. Cheap too. "My" lens is the 35mm AF though which isn't so great but it's with a cropped sensor so at least I don't have the soft corners. It isn't such a bad lens though, it's a hard focal length for all the makers. One good thing about it is it has af to mf switch on the lens barrel via a ring which makes focusing so easy, use af, turn ring to manual focus, done. I don't remember the last time I had an out of focus frame.
Also, with regard to distortion, the new capture one has a great distortion correction tool. Pretty amazing.

gwhitf:

--- Quote from: smhoer ---Gwhitf
You may want to read his post again.  He clearly points out mirror up
--- End quote ---

Strobe, and in a dark room is bare minimum, to elminate the camera shake issue. 1/40th of a second, using available light, is not a test condition.

But whatever.

Dale Allyn:
jing q took a number of lenses and shot them under circumstances which are described in the post. One can draw whatever conclusions they like for their purposes, but I appreciate the effort and shared info. I see no point in dishing the effort. If it doesn't serve someone's need it can be ignored. It was offered as an "informal" comparison that will likely be useful and/or enjoyable to some.

Thanks for posting what you saw, jing q. I have the Mamiya AF 35, 45, 55, 80, 150, and 210 (ULD) lenses and my experiences are similar to yours vis-a-vis your Mamiya observations regarding sharpness and contrast, except I find my 55 quite sharp as well (very close to my 45). The total cost of the kit was remarkably low for the image quality provided by the lenses. Build isn't great, but serviceable.

Cheers.

jing q:

--- Quote from: gwhitf ---You conducted a sharpness test using available light, at 1/40th of a second, with the mirrors not raised...?

Huh?

Let me guess, you didn't even bother to use a tripod too, right?
--- End quote ---

I expected this sort of nastiness.
If you don't like it, don't read it ok?
BTW, I don't shoot in a dark room with strobes most of the time. And I'm not interested in that.

First of all let me state that lens testing is more difficult than I expected...in terms of focusing there was some back focusing for some reason with the hasselblad lenses for the closeup shots (which I only discovered after everything was shot of course...haha)

I don't think anyone should take this test too seriously, it was really just something I did because I was curious for myself.

I had some problems with the 110mm and 150mm resolution (flare was pretty bad...), I'm thinking it might have been an error of mine so I'm relooking into it.

The files have been processed with exact same settings in ACR, with sharpening kept at default (strength 25 radius 1.0), so differences in the way the file looks is solely dependent on the way the lens renders the scene.

1/40th of a second is not the best test, but I looked through all the files and did not see any shutter shake (and mirror was up)

still trying to add the attachments but they're taking abit of time to upload strangely..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version