Equipment & Techniques > Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography

Hasselblad Zeiss lenses and mamiya lenses comparison

(1/4) > >>

jing q:
after coming across abit of the mention of Zeiss Vs mamiya lenses, I thought I'd do an informal test because I just got in a bunch of F lenses for my Hassy.

The F lenses were mounted on my Mamiya AFdII via an adapter.

All lenses were shot at F8, around 1/40th of a second with mirror up at ISO 50. 1/40th of a second because the light wasn't very good.

comparing the Mamiya 45mm f2.8 AF, Hassy 50mm f2.8 F, Mamiya 55mm f2.8 N/L, Mamiya 55-110mm at 55mm and 77mm(close to 80mm...was abit off there), Mamiya 80mm f2.8 AF, Mamiya 80mm f1.9, and Hassy 80mm f2.8 CF.

Focusing at close distances and close to infinity distances.

caveat: it was very informal so the close focusing of the lenses is not at the exact same point (due to very minute focusing errors). I came to some conclusions for myself after comparing different distances of objects in the same image, rather than just focusing on one single point to see how sharp it was.

my interest is in seeing how each lens renders a whole scene of various distances.

I'll probably focus on posting up the images which were focused to infinity.

If I have the time I would try to be more exact with the focusing next time, and this situation does make me more aware of how a TINY inaccuracy in focusing can be really visible, even at F8.

--------------------------

Things I noted:

The lens performances were so close it was quite astounding really, the older Mamiya lenses held up as well as the AF mamiya lenses, and the Mamiya AF lenses were great performers. the 45mm was so sharp it was scary. the 80mm AF was also super sharp.

The Mamiya AF lenses tended to be more contrasty than the other lenses.The other lenses were less contrasty, which gave a more pleasing image on opening it on ACR. The less contrasty images were easily tweaked to look like the more contrasty images made by the mamiya AF with a simple tweak of the Contrast slider.

The manual lenses were much more fun to focus than the AF lenses. I would consider using my manual lenses more often just to get that smooth silky barrel turning feeling.

The Hassy lenses tended towards a yellow overall tint, the Mamiya lenses were cooler, more greenish.

The 80mm F1.9 lens performs solidly at F8. I haven't tested it wide open or at F2.8 yet but at F8 it

the 55-110mm zoom lens at close to 80mm gives a less contrasty image that has a nice tonality to it. The bokeh was the most pleasing and spherical of the other 80mm lenses (surprisingly!) and has a blueish tinge to its overall rendition compared to the other lenses.

the 80mm CF was the weakest lens in the whole line-up in terms of resolution. Images tended to be more yellowish also.

The "look" of a lens seems to harder to actually describe than I imagined, with a digital sensor. The differences in rendition of bokeh are so subtle that it becomes a non-issue for me.

However, the distortion that is specific to each lens affects the feeling of the image considerably. Layering the 80mm AF image on top of the 80mm F1.9 image shows a noticable difference. Something I didn't really think about too much, but now something that I will look more closely at.

Same for the 55mm f2.8 on top of the 55-110mm at 55mm.

The 55mm f2.8 had less contrast than the 55-110mm. The image has a cooler tonality too. I quite like it. Resolution seems very slightly less than the zoom, which is surprising considering how I never really liked the zoom...

The 55-110mm had more noticable CA at 55mm.

the 50mm Hassy starts to show some loss of resolution at the edges.

The 45mm AF is an amazing performer. I find it abit too contrasty, compared to the other lenses I've been testing, but I can't complain about it after doing all this testing!

Well hope this helps. I'm on a mobile connection right now but I'll upload some pictures when I get back.

gwhitf:

--- Quote from: jing q ---All lenses were shot at F8, around 1/40th of a second with mirror up at ISO 50. 1/40th of a second because the light wasn't very good.
--- End quote ---

You conducted a sharpness test using available light, at 1/40th of a second, with the mirrors not raised...?

Huh?

Let me guess, you didn't even bother to use a tripod too, right?

smhoer:

--- Quote from: gwhitf ---You conducted a sharpness test using available light, at 1/40th of a second, with the mirrors not raised...?

Huh?

Let me guess, you didn't even bother to use a tripod too, right?
--- End quote ---

Gwhitf
You may want to read his post again.  He clearly points out mirror up

BJNY:
Thanks for the GREAT effort, jing q.

Looking forward to seeing the files.

Graham Mitchell:
Which back will you use for the test?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version