Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Existing Images and LR2 vs Expressions Media  (Read 1489 times)

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
Existing Images and LR2 vs Expressions Media
« on: November 03, 2008, 07:26:41 pm »

I just started watching Michael and Jeff's LR 2 tutorial and have some questions about how to proceed with my existing files, all of which I can read via Bridge.  Before using LR I primarily used bridge and created some virtual catalogs using Microsoft Media Expressions.  However, I got frustrated with the lack of support one gets from MS Expressions and kept getting snafus with my catalogs after trying to organize my files. Rebuilding the catalogs did not work.  I understand Lightroom will be slower but I plan to carefully learn the software by watching the tutorials. I don't plan on getting my meta data from Expressions.  

1. I imagine I start building a catalog of my existing images by dumping my image folders into LR.  When I get more time I want to reorganize my folder structure and create buckets as described in Peter Krough's DAM book.  After I create my initial data base will LR track any changes I make to my bucket system (or groups of folders)?  Or am I better off using LR2 for just new images and build my database from scratch?

2. I have read that many photographers use Expressions / Iview for film scans and Lightroom for all their more recent digital work.  However, now with LR2 I find that the database can now read even my large film scans with many layers albeit not as fast as expressions media.  It seems to me that with the upgrade that LR2 has made that there are fewer reasons to use Expressions Media unless you have a massive collection of images and other types of media.  Aside from the fact that I can't transfer any virtual catalogs to LR2, is their any reason to still use Expressions Media?

In the end what will take the most time and effort will be organizing my existing images into a logical file structure.  I don't see how any DAM program can make this an easy task.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Existing Images and LR2 vs Expressions Media
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 06:36:09 am »

Quote from: HSakols
After I create my initial data base will LR track any changes I make to my bucket system (or groups of folders)?  Or am I better off using LR2 for just new images and build my database from scratch?

Aside from the fact that I can't transfer any virtual catalogs to LR2, is their any reason to still use Expressions Media?

I too migrated from iView to LR, and follow many of the recommendations in Peter's book.  LR can track changes you make to your folder system.  You can actually make the changes to your folder structure in LR, then it will automatically update.  Or, you can make changes somewhere else (bridge, finder/explorer, etc.) then go into LR and manually remap the "missing" folders to the correct one.  You could actually import them into LR as is and change as you go using either method.  If your making massive changes all at once it might be more efficient to do that first, but that assumes you know exactly where your going with your structure.

iView is probably a better pure DAM system, but for me the advantages of doing (almost) everything in LR far outweighs those differences.  Also, I'll bet you find some of the develop tools in LR unlock some hidden magic in a few of your old images.  It certainly did for me, although my PS skills pale in comparison to others here.  I migrated all my images and don't regret it at all.

Dave Chew
Pages: [1]   Go Up