Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Do not use Capture One 4.5.1 with Canon  (Read 22020 times)

Snook

Do not use Capture One 4.5.1 with Canon
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2008, 02:59:36 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
Type8Camera is a program from Apple used to enable tethering in Aperture. It is very unfriendly to other programs and prevents Capture One from connecting. This arrived in 10.5.2 and continues today. Follow the steps in the article linked before, or our article below and the problem is solved.

http://www.captureintegration.com/2008/05/...ng-in-osx-1052/

Doug Peterson,  Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer  |  Personal Portfolio

Finally got it.. Took a while to find the type8file.. Had to use filebuddy to find it.
Took it out and will see tomorrow in studio if it works.. I have faith.
Any news on the Bug front?
Thanks again
Snook
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 03:16:03 pm by Snook »

bcooter

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2008, 05:28:28 pm »

Type8Camera is a program from Apple used to enable tethering in Aperture. It is very unfriendly to other programs and prevents Capture One from connecting. This arrived in 10.5.2 and continues today. Follow the steps in the article linked before, or our article below and the problem is solved.

http://www.captureintegration.com/2008/05/...ng-in-osx-1052/

it's great that doug and his group have worked hard to identify some of the peoblems with 4.5, but I urge anyone who shoots for a living not to use any new software (probably cameras) until they have been tested for many months on the market.

few come out bug free and some of the problems can be disaster and this isn't the first software to corrupt files.  same with cameras.

you would never have walked into a brand new lab and dropped off 400 rolls of film so why do it with digital?

we can all play the blame game, but let the companies do their own testing before you put your images or money on the line.

the only way the let the customer do the beta testing method is going to change is when a new camera or software comes out, it sets on the shelf for 6 months or a year.

then the makers will learn to get it right the first time.

gwhitf

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2008, 09:34:11 pm »

judging by what that guy wrote about Type 8, can we now say that a prior Aperture installation, and this Type 8 thing is the culprit, or did Doug find other non related issues when testing it?

is there any reason to exhale and think the issue has been isolated?

mturner

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 02:12:38 am »

just a few observations regarding this issue...
I upgraded both of my Mac systems from 10.4.11 to 10.5.5 (Leopard) just yesterday, mostly to be able to test C1 Pro v4.5.1
Been running 3.7.x for a long time and more recently 4.1.1.

My installations and testing of 4.5.1 went well on both systems until I tried tethering of two different Canon cameras (1DIIN, 40D).  I have NOT noticed any of the corrupt .cr2 files (in several hundred captures between the two cameras), but I did have system crashes/hangups which I have traced to the settings within Image Capture.  If Image Capture was set to launch C1 (or EOS Utility), when I powered on a connected camera with or without C1 4.5.1 running I would get hangup/crash that required a hard reboot.  I seemed to solve this issue by selecting the "NO Application" option within Image Capture (the option that selects which application to launch when a camera is connected).  C1 4.5.1 apparently changes this setting during initial launch following installation if you do not select 'NO' when asked if you want C1 to launch when a camera is connected.  At my initial install, I selected yes for this option.  This caused C1 to launch and open the 'Import Files' screen even if I inserted a CF card into either of my Lexar FW800 card readers.  Now I just connect the camera via the relevant interface but do not power it on, then launch C1-4.5.1, click on the 'camera' tab, then power-on the camera; C1 recognizes it and I can shoot tethered into which ever folder I select in the menu.
Note that both of my Leopard 10.5.5 installations have the file referenced in the above posts (the Type8Camera.app file) intact in its default location.  The presence of this file does not seem to be an issue on either of my systems at this time.  I will test further tomorrow.

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 07:45:38 am »

Capture Integration has found possible issues with Capture One Pro 4.5.1 which affect Canon raw files. We are investigating further, but at this time we recommend against using Capture One Pro 4.5.1 if Canon is part of your workflow. Instead you could use Capture One Pro 4.5 or Capture One Pro 3.7.9 which are not affected by these issues. We will post again when we have more information.

FYI, over on the Leica forum, M8 users are reporting the same problem.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2008, 09:07:44 am »

Quote from: gwhitf
judging by what that guy wrote about Type 8, can we now say that a prior Aperture installation, and this Type 8 thing is the culprit, or did Doug find other non related issues when testing it?

is there any reason to exhale and think the issue has been isolated?

That issue is absolutely unrelated. It was off-topic. Snook had moved back to 3.7.9 and could not get his Canon to connect; type8camera was related to that problem, not the topic discussion of the vague, but very problematic issue with Canon raw files in C1 4.5.1.

Quote from: mturner
just a few observations regarding this issue...
I upgraded both of my Mac systems from 10.4.11 to 10.5.5 (Leopard) just yesterday, mostly to be able to test C1 Pro v4.5.1
Been running 3.7.x for a long time and more recently 4.1.1.

My installations and testing of 4.5.1 went well on both systems until I tried tethering of two different Canon cameras (1DIIN, 40D).  I have NOT noticed any of the corrupt .cr2 files (in several hundred captures between the two cameras), but I did have system crashes/hangups which I have traced to the settings within Image Capture.  If Image Capture was set to launch C1 (or EOS Utility), when I powered on a connected camera with or without C1 4.5.1 running I would get hangup/crash that required a hard reboot.  I seemed to solve this issue by selecting the "NO Application" option within Image Capture (the option that selects which application to launch when a camera is connected).  C1 4.5.1 apparently changes this setting during initial launch following installation if you do not select 'NO' when asked if you want C1 to launch when a camera is connected.  At my initial install, I selected yes for this option.  This caused C1 to launch and open the 'Import Files' screen even if I inserted a CF card into either of my Lexar FW800 card readers.  Now I just connect the camera via the relevant interface but do not power it on, then launch C1-4.5.1, click on the 'camera' tab, then power-on the camera; C1 recognizes it and I can shoot tethered into which ever folder I select in the menu.
Note that both of my Leopard 10.5.5 installations have the file referenced in the above posts (the Type8Camera.app file) intact in its default location.  The presence of this file does not seem to be an issue on either of my systems at this time.  I will test further tomorrow.

I'd suggest reading the release notes for 4.5.1. They suggest connecting the camera and turning it on prior to launching C1. Then again, "if it aint broke..."

Quote from: JohnBrew
FYI, over on the Leica forum, M8 users are reporting the same problem.

THANK YOU very much. I had not seen this and though Phase is probably aware of it, I will be sure to pass it on to them immediatly just to be sure.

To everyone who is showing patience (especially with us, since we are just a messenger) despite the very serious nature of the problem: thank you very much. A 4.5.2 has been underway for the last several days in order to solve these problem as quickly as possible. Of course the worst thing (if there is such a thing here) would be for them to release 4.5.2 that solves this problem but introduces some other problem. Therefore, I would encourage continued patience so there is sufficient time to test the fix and ensure a stable release.

Henry Goh

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2008, 10:05:00 am »

No Doug,

Thank you for keeping us updated.  At least with your help, I'm getting some idea where this is going whereas over at the Phaseone user forum, there has been very little word from P1 moderators.

gwhitf

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2008, 10:35:21 am »

Quote from: Henry Goh
No Doug,

Thank you for keeping us updated.  At least with your help, I'm getting some idea where this is going whereas over at the Phaseone user forum, there has been very little word from P1 moderators.

Doug,

Steve Hendrix should take note of how you and Dave Gallagher are handling this situation. Your behavior, and your responses, are a model of how it should be done.

The fact that people don't even bother posting to, or reading from, the official Phase forum, is evidence that the Phase forum should be taken down entirely. It is a black eye on their corporate culture. For every day that it continues, it reinforces one of the main reasons why Phase customers are frustrated.

It's refreshing to have a company like Capture Integration running blocker for its customers.

jmvdigital

• http://www.jmvdigital.com
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2008, 10:57:27 am »

Quote from: gwhitf
It's refreshing to have a company like Capture Integration running blocker for its customers.

I don't disagree with the criticisms of Phase or its forum at all, and it would be nice if Steve made a stronger presence in dealing with and preemptively facing these types of problems here on the boards... however, isn't the dealer model built to "run blocker" so to speak? We don't interact with Phase directly for hardly anything; everything is done through the dealer network. I'm not really complaining about that either. It's been very nice to have CI on my side in helping to get me everything I need and "run blocker" with some issues I've had stepping into the P30+.

I think the models of Canikon are far worse. Canon, for example, doesn't admit or help to fix flaws in their software or hardware any better. Their support website is a joke. They still barely admit or fixed the AF issues that plagued the 1D3. And in dealing with their support and repair services, rather, fighting with their support services.... I can tell it's horrid. You are a tiny PITA peon in a world of other tiny peons to Canon. They are trained to be nice and friendly, but there's not really any brains or desire to help you behind it. I got the impression that they hope if they smile and nod enough, you'll forget your problems and walk away.

Even if Phase wanted to act like Canon in this regard, we've got our dealers to tow a heavy line for us, a far heavier line that we as individuals could tow.

--
Justin VanAlstyne [url=http://www.jmv

TMARK

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2008, 11:09:50 am »

Quote from: jmvdigital
I don't disagree with the criticisms of Phase or its forum at all, and it would be nice if Steve made a stronger presence in dealing with and preemptively facing these types of problems here on the boards... however, isn't the dealer model built to "run blocker" so to speak? We don't interact with Phase directly for hardly anything; everything is done through the dealer network. I'm not really complaining about that either. It's been very nice to have CI on my side in helping to get me everything I need and "run blocker" with some issues I've had stepping into the P30+.

I think the models of Canikon are far worse. Canon, for example, doesn't admit or help to fix flaws in their software or hardware any better. Their support website is a joke. They still barely admit or fixed the AF issues that plagued the 1D3. And in dealing with their support and repair services, rather, fighting with their support services.... I can tell it's horrid. You are a tiny PITA peon in a world of other tiny peons to Canon. They are trained to be nice and friendly, but there's not really any brains or desire to help you behind it. I got the impression that they hope if they smile and nod enough, you'll forget your problems and walk away.

Even if Phase wanted to act like Canon in this regard, we've got our dealers to tow a heavy line for us, a far heavier line that we as individuals could tow.

Someone at Canon must not like you.  I've had Canon bend over backwards to fix issues with my gear over the years.  Nikon as well.  Not to say that Nikon and Canon don't have their issues, they do, but when its $4500 versus $42k, well, the disapointment is easier to swallow.

jmvdigital

• http://www.jmvdigital.com
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2008, 11:15:40 am »

Quote from: TMARK
Someone at Canon must not like you.  I've had Canon bend over backwards to fix issues with my gear over the years.  Nikon as well.  Not to say that Nikon and Canon don't have their issues, they do, but when its $4500 versus $42k, well, the disapointment is easier to swallow.

Lol. The trouble begins when you have to start sending stuff in more than once to fix it. And then they want test shots and all sorts of things to "support" your claim. It's just a tiring system.
--
Justin VanAlstyne [url=http://www.jmv

Snook

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2008, 12:24:56 pm »

Quote from: jmvdigital
Lol. The trouble begins when you have to start sending stuff in more than once to fix it. And then they want test shots and all sorts of things to "support" your claim. It's just a tiring system.

NOTHING can be worse than the PhaseOne guys..
I agree that Doug is very helpful.
The Phase One Forums is a Mirror of their Service.
I had them Fix my back no problem right now and was quite happy with that service.. But as far as communication, which there is NONE, it's horrible....
It's  a shame really as they have a good product.. I just think it is in the Blood to be cold and silent.

I am seriuosly thinking about dumping the MF all together until some one comes out with a satbel all around product and that seems to be Canon at the moment.
Never dealt with any Leaf people nor Hassleblad , But I bet it is not much different.. Boy they hounded me and were there when I was thinking about buying a back...

I stated from the beginning that we were going to be the BETA tester for C-1 4.5 and they said no we have been testing it for a long time.... Yeh Right!
I am sure they never tried it with Canon nor Leica.

Also I was the first one to start posting the cr2 Raw problems as well...
They did not even show up on the Freaking PhaseOne forum until today...

Also someone sure write (Doug/Phase) 4.5 also as that is when it started with me.. I actually do not have 4.5.1 installed.
So people may get a small sense of security and might start shooting back with 4.5 which has the same problem....

Thanks Doug.I vote  Doug for president of PhaseOne...

Nothing worse than Silence and not saying anything....

Snook

PS. This is going to be the straw that broke the camels back for sure...

Edited for Carsten...:+}

« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 01:58:56 pm by Snook »

Carsten W

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2008, 01:20:15 pm »

Quote from: Snook
I just think it is in the Blood to be cold and silent. Quite like Denmark itself...

Can you justify or retract that statement, please?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 01:26:11 pm by carstenw »
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

JTFOTO

• http://
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2008, 02:05:14 pm »

Still On Tiger on shooting station and everything works no problem

New MacBook Pro 15 with C1Pro 4.5 and everything seems to be working fine

In tower only have C1 Pro 3.7.9 and CS3 nothing else. Other than what comes with Apple and software updates

MacBook pro has a little more but not much  Both C1's are up and running.  Just completed a catalog in Chicago and all seems well.

30 shots a day about 60 shots per look in studio on tower

15 shots per day on location with laptop and all working fine.

People have to realize that all the crap that they put on their machines can affect the way it works.

Every rental house I work with when traveling still has Tiger on all machines.  The staple and rock solid program is tiger with C1 pro 3.7.9

GOBAMA!

JTFOTO

• http://
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2008, 02:06:43 pm »

Some of the best and most honest people I have met in my life are from Denmark!  plus, my wife is Danish.  Disregard the racist uneducated Trolls

Snook

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2008, 05:20:28 pm »

Quote from: JTFOTO
Still On Tiger on shooting station and everything works no problem

New MacBook Pro 15 with C1Pro 4.5 and everything seems to be working fine

In tower only have C1 Pro 3.7.9 and CS3 nothing else. Other than what comes with Apple and software updates

MacBook pro has a little more but not much  Both C1's are up and running.  Just completed a catalog in Chicago and all seems well.

30 shots a day about 60 shots per look in studio on tower

15 shots per day on location with laptop and all working fine.

People have to realize that all the crap that they put on their machines can affect the way it works.

Every rental house I work with when traveling still has Tiger on all machines.  The staple and rock solid program is tiger with C1 pro 3.7.9

GOBAMA!

I am assuming you shot the whole time with Canons... Right? That's what the thread is about and the Problem.
Now Leica also, Supposedly..?
Has anybody had any troubles with Phase One Backs...
Starting a 4 day advertising Job tomorrow in Studio and will be shooting the P30 with RZ to C-14.5

As far as the problems go, It's just Non Phase Cameras I am safe to assume. Correct? Thanks for any information about that.

Snook

Carsten W

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2008, 05:41:57 pm »

Thanks for removing that, Snook. I got kinda hot around the ears there for a second  I must have edited that post 10 times in 2 minutes.
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

bcooter

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2008, 06:15:46 pm »

I am assuming you shot the whole time with Canons... Right? That's what the thread is about and the Problem.
Now Leica also, Supposedly..?
Starting a 4 day advertising Job tomorrow in Studio and will be shooting the P30 with RZ to C-14.5

As far as the problems go, It's just Non Phase Cameras I am safe to assume. Correct? Thanks for any information about that.

Snook

why would you even think about shooting or even processing a job in 4.5 right now, regardless of camera?

I can't imagine you would even have the software on your machine(s).

obviously there are issues and you don't know how far reaching.

as far as phase one not communicating, they don't, and phase is the first to tell you it is in their culture not to communicate.

they are not non nice people, but they don't give out information and are slow to react to even direct one-on-one problems much less respond in public.  even if you work closely with them it takes a long period before you get a response that is understandable and even then it is a monumental effort.

other medium format companies (and canon) can be frustrating in not owning up quickly to an issue or worse answering the 4 questions they want to answer and disregarding the 10 you need answered.

regardless, whether canon has issues really has nothing to do with this.   in fact what one company does has nothing to do with another company and that is where digital cameras, more specifically medium format falls down.

most surveys show that most professional photographers have a handful of clients a  year and I can't imagine taking any risks.

use what has worked for you in the past and wait until the issues are completely cleared up.

i would look at any new digital purchase or change the way you would approach a new film lab.  test slowly, carefully before committing your reputation.

Snook

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2008, 06:37:33 pm »

Quote from: carstenw
Thanks for removing that, Snook. I got kinda hot around the ears there for a second  I must have edited that post 10 times in 2 minutes.

No Problem...
A lot of times I write out of anger also and don't mean for it to sound like it does... Then After I read it myself a couple of times I no it did not sound right...
Sorry once again..:+}
I just really PO'ed how Phase one people (Themselves) Never respond EVER to anything.. So it is frustrating..
There are guys in here ready to bitch at what ever I end up writing...
If some one does not like it, There is a ignore user button which I also have on a bunch a guys in here as well b/c Sick of their return comments to what I have to say.

In any case the problem I figure is mainly with Canon I think. Also it is with 4.5 and 4.5.1

The only people trying to help are Phase reps that are in here.
The Phase One forum is  ajoke and I meant to say they are Cold just like Denmark is, But once again it came out wrong..
That is why I did not run for president this time around..:+}
Snook

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2008, 07:26:07 pm »

Snook

FWIW I have not received any reports from any of our customers of problems with Phase One backs. The problem discussed in this thread does not concern Phase One files as far as anything I've heard/seen/read. It is not completely crash-proof like 3.7.9* was after countless revisions, but it quite stable. Some of the new features, especially those governing tethered shooting and editing, are very hard to say no to. But of course having a backup machine/partition/bootable-external-hard-drive with a known commodity like 3.7.9 is a great idea. I've never seen a case where a functioning back was rendered non-functioning because of bad software**, so if you have your backup 3.7.9 machine/partition/bootable-external-hard-drive you should be safe in any event. Then again, bcooter has tremendous in-the-field experience, so I'm not arguing against his assertion so much as offering another view.

*I mean specifically that when 3.7.9 was installed on a clean machine and run with according to our Ideal Tethered Setup that it was absolutely rock solid for any level of production intensity.
**Botched firmware updates excluded.

The only meaningful update I have for you on the thread topic is that a 4.5.2 is being worked on feverishly and will fix this problem. Not that it matters to the end-user what the source of a bug is (after all if it don't work it don't work) but it appears this was caused by a glitch in OSX.

I should say for the record that I really think 4.5.X will be a tremendous force in the industry. It is already surprisingly mature for its age and this major problem notwithstanding the future is very bright.

P.S. Thanks for the kind words guys. The real credit goes to Dave Gallagher, our owner, who establishes our company culture which holds honesty and the end-user above all else. <-- yeah sure, I'm sucking up a bit, he is my boss :-)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up