Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Woops I forgot to assign a color space  (Read 7023 times)

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
Woops I forgot to assign a color space
« on: November 02, 2008, 10:21:03 pm »

I have been playing with one particular film scan that I took two years ago.  Last night I was finally ready to make a larger print when after closer inspection, I realized that I did not assign it to a color space.  I guess instead it has the profile of my minolta multi pro scanner.  I went ahead and attempted to assign Adobe RGB 1998 but did not like what it did to one element of the image.  This is quite frustrating because I have worked on this image for months and have at least 3 versions of it - all without an assigned profile (scanner profile).  The good news is I finally get the print I want.  

Despite getting a good print from the file my obsessive side can't stand the fact that I have not assigned it either a RGB 1998 or Pro Photo profile. -

I'm curious if any of you have made the same mistake and what I should do about it?  After going through the assign profile selections, I find that it is probably most alike sRGB which make me think that I'm not getting the full potential from the print.  On the other hand I don't want to start from scratch and start from scratch again my post processing - I have about 15 layers.  

Arghhhh!!!!!!

Craig Brewer

• http://craigphoto.wordpress.com/
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 01:14:39 am »

First let me start off with take what I say with a grain of salt because I'm no expert on color spaces. But I recently had to dig up some old archive images I scanned and burned onto cd-rom's when I didn't know anything about color spaces years ago and they had no color space attached. Back then I was using a Windows machine (not sure if that has anything to do with what happened later) and when I opened them on my Windows computer everything looked OK. But I switched to Mac this spring and when I would open them in Photoshop they looked terrible. The color was way out of gamut like someone cranked up the saturation and were almost beyond repair.

But on a lark I downloaded them into Adobe Lightroom and magically they appeared color balanced and looked exactly the way they did years before. I'd then re-save them in Photoshop from Lightroom to resize for printing or the web and they would be fine. Don't know why Lightroom would open them accurately but Photoshop would not. Maybe someone here with a lot more knowledge could tell me why.

dmerger

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 07:19:31 am »

If the scan has the multi pro profile (but you just didn't imbed it), then assign the multi pro profile, then convert to your preferred color space.
Dean Erger

mbalensiefer

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 05:25:19 pm »

Hi!

Good topic.

I would like to go back and go through all my photos and weed out the ones that do NOT have a color space assigned (to fix them now vs later).
 Is there a way to screen my photos easily to determine which ones do not have an assigned space? Howso?

Michael

stamper

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 04:30:03 am »

Quote from: mbalensiefer
Hi!

Good topic.

I would like to go back and go through all my photos and weed out the ones that do NOT have a color space assigned (to fix them now vs later).
 Is there a way to screen my photos easily to determine which ones do not have an assigned space? Howso?

Michael

If you open them in Photoshop then a warning will come up telling you that the image doesn't match your colour settings in Photoshop You can then decide which one you want

mbalensiefer

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 06:11:25 pm »

Got it. How about for my multitude of thousands?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 10:15:18 pm »

I think you can do this via a batch process pretty easily.  Create an action that assigns/converts to your profile of choice, then saves and closes the file.  Then use the batch command to perform that action on a folder.

you may have to turn off profile warnings in your Color Setting dialog ... I"m not sure if the batch command can disable them or not.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 10:16:42 pm by Wayne Fox »

Sigi

• http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/default.aspx?id=267034&mp=V2
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 05:22:22 am »

As far as I know you can do that in Media Expression formerly iview

Sigi

mbalensiefer

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 02:47:14 pm »

Thanks. For the two posts above, will these damage (destructive edit) the compressed .jpg data, at all?

V/R
Michael

edwinb

• http://www.image2output.com
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 06:23:35 pm »

Thanks. For the two posts above, will these damage (destructive edit) the compressed .jpg data, at all?

V/R
Michael
if you assign a color profile then the image data values are unchanged, you just changed the terms of refernce in lab values.
if you convert to a different profile the image data is irreversably changed
if you have 'thousands' then you should consider using something like a gmg colorserver which can accuratly process bulk archives
this will cope with mixed profiles within the archive
you could get this done as a service
if you can get samples with embedded profiles then those profiles can be extracted and used to convert images known to be in that colour space but without embedded profile
regards
Edwin
Edwin Blenkinsopp
Technical Manager
image2output
m:  +44 (0) 7836 674749
e: edwin@image2output.com
w: Sinar |  Foba |Inkjet

mbalensiefer

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 04:27:42 am »

Edwin, GMG Colorserver sounds like it will batch-file all my images. This is something I do not want to do, as I do not want to destructively edit anything that's already been assigned a colorspace.

Is there an easy way that I can (find and) process ONLY the photos I have that are in need of an assigned color space?

Thank you!!
V/R
Michael

KeithR

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 10:46:13 am »

Edwin, GMG Colorserver sounds like it will batch-file all my images. This is something I do not want to do, as I do not want to destructively edit anything that's already been assigned a colorspace.

Is there an easy way that I can (find and) process ONLY the photos I have that are in need of an assigned color space?

Thank you!!
V/R
Michael
I am not a PS expert and I've never done it yet, but I would think that a PS script could be written to do what you're trying to do and include that in an action to run in a batch process. Like I stated, I've never done it(on my to learn list) but I've read that it's not really that difficult to do.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

edwinb

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 10:53:35 am »

Thank you!!
V/R
Michael
a properly configured colorserver will check the internal profile, adjust and output to your target profile
if the images already have the target  profile then nothing will change
do you want all your images in the same colourspace or do you just want all your images to have an embedded profile?
regards
edwin
Edwin Blenkinsopp
Technical Manager
image2output

edwinb

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 11:09:09 am »

Quote from: KeithR
I am not a PS expert and I've never done it yet, but I would think that a PS script could be written to do what you're trying to do and include that in an action to run in a batch process. Like I stated, I've never done it(on my to learn list) but I've read that it's not really that difficult to do.

I havn't used it for a while but   little cms  and imagemagick can be used to batch script images
Edwin
Edwin Blenkinsopp
Technical Manager
image2output
Pages: [1]   Go Up