Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where's the 3D / D80 then?  (Read 4115 times)

BJL

Where's the 3D / D80 then?
« on: February 28, 2003, 05:46:32 pm »

Canon, PLEASE sort out your naming conventions...
I think I understand it: number after D was mega-pixel count (with an extra zero on the end), but number before the D is more in line with their film SLR naming convention outside North America: the bigger the number, the cheaper the camera. (if I remember right, Elan 7 is EOS 30, Elan 2 was EOS 50, the Rebels are even higher numbers). It seems that from now on the numbers will all be before the D, since features other than MP are becoming the main marketing disinctions in a sea of 6MP DSLR models.

What I want Canon (and Nikon, Epson and others) to sort out is the confusing practice of having one model name for the US (and maybe Canada) but another for the rest of the world, with the "rest of the world" names usually more systematic and numerical, while the US names are more often "catchy", probably invented by marketing consultants.

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2003, 08:05:57 am »

My sources tell me that the next camera(s) from Canon won't be out till the Fall.

Michael

cerebros

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2003, 04:18:44 pm »

Well after all the rumours I take it that the supposed EOS 3 based digtial (3D or D80 or whatever it's going to be named) isn't going to be unveiled just yet then?  There seems to be rumour of an 8 megapixel model, although no news on whether it'll be full-frame or not.

I have to say that the price point on the 10D looks pretty good (but Canon, PLEASE sort out your naming conventions... is the D before or after the model number... is the number a 10x multiple of the megapixel number or not) - if it had been full frame i'd be pre-ordering right now.

Dixon Zalit

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2003, 01:06:36 am »

It looks like the rumors were false. Bogus. Fake. Remember, it was a D40 with less features and a D80 based on the EOS 3. Michael even briefly posted a link to this rumor. So the new 10D is neither of these! The new name seems to indicate a more permanent camera model. 6 Megapixels is enough to kick 35mm film out of the game and this is basically a film replacement camera. More pixels, like the 1Ds takes you into the medium format range, which most people do not need.

Here is what I want to know: Is this all? I was hoping for the rumored D80. Is there another camera coming at this PMA show, or do we have to wait till fall?

Dan Sroka

• http://www.danielsroka.com
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2003, 04:53:51 pm »

I want camera models to be named like the old cars from the 50s and 60s.

"I got me here one of them new Nikon Starlights".
"Have you seem that Canon Falcon? It sure is purdy."
"How about that Fuji Thunderbird? I hear it's got 10MP under the hood."

d
Pages: [1]   Go Up