Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji S2/IBM Microdrive  (Read 4068 times)

Paul Caldwell

Fuji S2/IBM Microdrive
« on: February 22, 2003, 03:40:18 pm »

Its something in your color setting, between the mac and the camera.  Are you shooting raw?  or jpg?  

I would also be interested in knowing what happens when you open the images on a windows box.

What color space are you saving to in the camera also.

With windows, I never had any issue like you describe.

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell

Fuji S2/IBM Microdrive
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2003, 08:53:05 pm »

Yes, I had forgotten that.  The LCD will fool you, especially if you are shading it in someway.  

Being an outdoor shooter, I tended to use a shade over my head like a 4x5 camera.  If you do this, you will see that the LCD is very bright indeed.  

What threw me was the grey color in your post.  

When I first started shooting the S2, I would often see that what seemed great on the LCD was as much as 1 full stop underexposed when the same image was viewed on the PC.

It took me several trips before I got in sync with the Monitor, basically letting the images be slightly overexposed on the monitor while shooting outdoors.  

Paul Caldwell

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Fuji S2/IBM Microdrive
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2003, 09:53:18 pm »

On-camera LCD's are really horrible for trying to judge whether a shot is over or under exposed because they are so strongly affected by ambient light. In bright sunlight the tendency is to overexpose because the picture looks so dim, and in darkness you tend to underexpose because the image looks too bright. If your camera has a histogram display, then I would highly recommend using it rather than the going by the look of the shot on the LCD.

Of course if your color space settings are mismatched between camera and computer, then all bets are off.

BernieM

Fuji S2/IBM Microdrive
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2003, 10:36:01 am »

I am using the Fuji S2 Pro with an IBM 1GB Microdrive. On preview and playback the images on the camera read crystal clear and with accurate color and exposure. When I download to my computer (G4Mac), using Finepix Viewer or Adobe Photoshop File Browser, the image that opens appears to have a gray cast or an overall darker exposure than appeared on the camera. The problem is easily resolved by using auto levels in Photoshop, but I would like to open the image immediately as it appears on the camera when first shot. Any explanations or suggesstions? BM

Bernie Mindich

Fuji S2/IBM Microdrive
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2003, 11:40:40 am »

Paul: Thanks for your response. I am shooting both Raw and JPEG and the problem is the same in each case. The color space in the camera is SRGBIEC6196-2.1 and on conversion to Tiff or opening in Photoshop it is Adobe RGB 1998. I am not sure what you mean by opening images in a "windows" box. If you mean Microsoft "windows" the answer is I don't use it. Someone has suggested that part of my problem may be that the S2 preview screen is very bright -- brighter than the recorded image. I am going to try adjusting the brightness to see if that helps. BM

Hank

Fuji S2/IBM Microdrive
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2003, 09:40:46 pm »

We use a couple of S2s, which we download to an assortment of G4s without the symptoms you have encountered.  It might have something to do with our climate and light levels, but with both indoor or outdoor shooting we get downloads which are comparable to the view on the LCDs.  I don't know about the setting you use for LCD Brightness, but I just checked and ours are set about 2/3 of the way up the scale, rather than on full-bright.

Hank

BernieM

Fuji S2/IBM Microdrive
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2003, 01:00:40 pm »

Is there a way to reset the camera color setting on the Fuji S2 from the SRG mode to Adobe RGB (1998)? I don't see anything in the manual about this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up