Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: From Camera to Print...WOW!  (Read 10731 times)

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
From Camera to Print...WOW!
« on: November 01, 2008, 06:37:56 pm »

Michael, I just finished From Camera to Print, and I want to thank you and Jeff for a seminar in which I feel like I learned to fly!  I learned so much that now I need to go back and watch again, and take some serious notes.  I've made some nice prints in the past, but with all this new knowledge, I can only imagine what those old prints will look like when I apply all this new knowledge.  So, a heartfelt "Thank You" to you both!

For those of you who think haven't bought it, what are you waiting for?  If you're anything like me, you'll be blown away by it.  It may be over six hours, but the conversational manner in which it is taught is entertaining AND educational.  

I'm starting on the Lightroom tutorial as I write this.  Great stuff, Michael.

Jason

HowardG

• http://www.hgrillphotographic.com
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 09:27:52 pm »

I just bought the tutorial as well....better late than never and yes, it truly is an excellent guide with lots of material in there for folks of all different levels of experience.  I did have one question and so thought I would toss it in with this thread.  In the segment on Photokit Sharpener it talks about using USM at 50/20/0 for midtone contrast enhancement.  Is that something that is no longer relevant given the use of the Clarity slider in Lightroom?

michael

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 09:08:10 am »

That's correct, Clarity does the same thing, even better.

Michael

walter.sk

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 09:15:23 am »

Quote from: jasonrandolph
Michael, I just finished From Camera to Print, and I want to thank you and Jeff for a seminar in which I feel like I learned to fly!  I learned so much that now I need to go back and watch again, and take some serious notes.  I've made some nice prints in the past, but with all this new knowledge, I can only imagine what those old prints will look like when I apply all this new knowledge.  So, a heartfelt "Thank You" to you both!

For those of you who think haven't bought it, what are you waiting for?  If you're anything like me, you'll be blown away by it.  It may be over six hours, but the conversational manner in which it is taught is entertaining AND educational.  

Jason

I also downloaded the tutorial recently and watched it, some segments many times (profiling, softproofing, especially).  While I am no newbie to fine art printing, I learned several things from each segment.  Michael and Jeff are the photography version of the Car Guys you can hear on the radio, with their humor coming through but not intruding.  Most important, there was a nice balance between the practical and theoretical.  I need a "why" for techniques suggested, as understanding some of the rationale for the choices made is essential for me.

I was also glad to see, where there were differences of opinion between Michael and Jeff, these were left in the final cut.  Kudos to Michael and Jeff for what I consider to be the best overview of the subject, with the best balance between advanced issues and a way of presenting that would not ignore the needs of relative beginners.

Tklimek

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 12:34:38 pm »

Ok.....call me a Michael/Jeff fanboy...fine....but I really love these guys work - I think I have all the tutorials and most of the video journals (waiting for the latest one guys!).  And I completely agree with you watching it several times and taking notes.....just awesome stuff.

One thing to note is that in the "Camera to Print" video there is a segment suggestions for printing at "native resolution".  In the Lightroom 2 tutorial, something new is revealed.  Jeff was making a case for uprezzing in Lightroom to improve print quality.

Jeff mentions that they were still testing and perhaps they could do a story on it.  Does anyone know if anything ever came out of this?  I may have missed the story or essay where the recommendations have been made.

Chris?  Michael?  Jeff?

Holiday cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Quote from: jasonrandolph

Jason

HowardG

• http://www.hgrillphotographic.com
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 12:57:44 pm »

Michael, thanks for the answer.

Walter, I agree with how entertaining the videos are.  I tend to be a person that generally learns better from a book than from a video......however, once I started watching the tutorial, it is hard to stop.  This is not only because of all the tidbits mixed in there as well as the indication of when there is controversy, which might not be evident from a book, but also like you said because the conversational nature and the slightly wry humor (love when Jeff gives a little glance at the camera and rolls his eyes) really make it enjoyable to watch.  

Howard

iaotech

Re: From Camera to Print...WOW!
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 03:31:36 pm »

To Michael and Jeff,

I just finished viewing From Camera to Screen. I had so much pleasure being with you. I liked the complicity, the intelligence, the generosity and the knowledge.

Thanks.

Jean-Pierre
Pages: [1]   Go Up