Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: custom profiles  (Read 5838 times)

hi-landr

custom profiles
« on: November 01, 2008, 04:59:53 pm »

Greetings,
thia is my first post here though i have been a fan of this site for years, so hopefully someone can answer this question for me.
I have just upgraded to lr 2.1. and when I try to print in the print module none of my custom printer profiles show up. I click on the profile, other box and the list of profiles appears but it is empty??? all of the profiles on my machine show up in lr 1.4 and also in photoshop cs4. What am I missing??
any ideas???
thanks

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
custom profiles
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 11:14:15 pm »

Quote from: hi-landr
Greetings,
thia is my first post here though i have been a fan of this site for years, so hopefully someone can answer this question for me.
I have just upgraded to lr 2.1. and when I try to print in the print module none of my custom printer profiles show up. I click on the profile, other box and the list of profiles appears but it is empty??? all of the profiles on my machine show up in lr 1.4 and also in photoshop cs4. What am I missing??
any ideas???
thanks

What OS are you using?

hi-landr

custom profiles
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 12:57:32 pm »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
What OS are you using?
mac 10.5.5
thanks

pflower

custom profiles
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 01:33:20 pm »

You say that they do show up when you press the "other" button on the print profile?  I don't quite understand what you mean by them showing up but the list is empty.  You should get a list of all available profiles but unlike Photoshop these each have a little check box next to them.  You first have to click on the box to put a tick next to the profiles you want to use.  Then they will appear in the print profile space.

mac 10.5.5
thanks

hi-landr

custom profiles
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 01:59:34 pm »

Quote from: pflower
You say that they do show up when you press the "other" button on the print profile?  I don't quite understand what you mean by them showing up but the list is empty.  You should get a list of all available profiles but unlike Photoshop these each have a little check box next to them.  You first have to click on the box to put a tick next to the profiles you want to use.  Then they will appear in the print profile space.
sorry for the confusion, no they do not show up in LR2, but the do in LR1.4... i have updated the profiles from the epson website and they all show in the -- library/colorsync/profiles-- file, i just cant seem to get lightroom 2 to recognize them.
any ideas would be of great help .
thanks

pflower

custom profiles
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 06:34:18 pm »

I just checked my version of LR2 and my profiles are all located in startup disk/library/application support/adobe/color/profiles and are all visible.  LR actually gives the path in the print profile box.

I seem to have profiles scattered all over the place.  Try moving or copying some into that directory and see what happens.

Good luck

sorry for the confusion, no they do not show up in LR2, but the do in LR1.4... i have updated the profiles from the epson website and they all show in the -- library/colorsync/profiles-- file, i just cant seem to get lightroom 2 to recognize them.
thanks

hi-landr

custom profiles
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 08:59:55 pm »

Quote from: pflower
I just checked my version of LR2 and my profiles are all located in startup disk/library/application support/adobe/color/profiles and are all visible.  LR actually gives the path in the print profile box.

I seem to have profiles scattered all over the place.  Try moving or copying some into that directory and see what happens.

Good luck
thanks,
i tried that but still no profiles showed up.
any other ideas????

pflower

custom profiles
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 06:47:24 am »

I'm afraid not.  All I can say is that I have LR2 installed on 3 machines (2 in Leopard) and 1 in 10.5.5 and my profiles are available on all machines without me having done anything.  I note that in the version under 10.5.5 LR is also finding profiles in the library/printers/EPSON/inkjetprinter/printingmodule folder and extracting them from some kind of plugin.  

If your profiles were available under LR 1.4 and in Photoshop then I regret that I can't think of anything else. The only thing is to re-install (which you appear to have done) or try your  luck with Adobe support.  

Sorry not to be able to help

Good Luck

thanks,
i tried that but still no profiles showed up.
any other ideas????

francois

custom profiles
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 07:24:20 am »

My profiles are store in /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/    (Mac OS X 10.5.5)

I would suggest that you:

Try to repair your disk permissions using Disk Utility.

Try to quit Lightroom, then move Lightroom's preference file (located in your preferences folder, file name is com.adobe.Lightroom2.plist) to your desktop and re-launch Lightroom?

Try to verify/repair your profiles using the ColorSync Utility application (some errors are not critical and won't be repaired, don't worry).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 07:26:33 am by francois »
Francois

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
custom profiles
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 01:30:38 pm »

thanks

So these are Epson provided profiles? Which Epson printer?  When installing Epson Drivers, the profiles are not placed in the standard colorsync folder.  Instead they are located as part of a package ... buried deeply in another directory.

I have a similar problem in Lightroom.  With my MacPro, my Epson installed 3800 profiles show up fine and I can check the ones I want to be included in the pop up menu.  My Epson installed 11880 profiles do not show up in the list and are not available to Lightroom.  On my MacBookPro, the profiles for both printers show up fine in Lightroom. I have not tried to fix it because I don't use any of Epson's profiles for the 11880, just my own which show up fine.  But on both machines, none of these profiles are actually located in the Library/Colorsync/Profiles folder.

I have verified that all profiles that are actually in my system level library/colorsync folder show up ... just not the 11880 profiles that are tucked away in the other directory.  They show up in Photoshop, but do not show up in programs like ColorThink or Apples Colorsync utility.

As a workaround you may be able to move the Epson profiles from the package file into the standard Library/ColorSync folder. If you want to try this,  Navigate to Library/Printers/EPSON/InkJetPrinter/ICCProfiles/  and you should see a list of printers.  If you find your printer, right click on it and select show package contents.  In the new window navigate to Contents/Resources/ and your profiles should be there.  I suppose you might be able to put an alias of the profile in the ColorSync/Profile folder, or if that doesn't work,  move the ones you need into the systems Library/colorsync/Profiles folder.

There probably is a better solution than this.  I'm not sure why they don't show up correctly, perhaps there is a missing alias.

jmwscot

• http://www.johnwoodphotowork.com
custom profiles
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 05:42:28 pm »

I had the same problem. In Leopard here is how to restore them:

Go to Macintosh HD/Library/Printers/EPSON/Inkjet Printer/ICC Profiles. Right click or control click the appropiate profile plug in, such as Pro38.profiles, to Show Package Contents.

Open the Contents folder and the profiles are in the Resources folder. Now copy these to your Users folder, Profiles, which is in ColorSync. Here's the path: Macintosh HD/Users/yourcomputername/Library/Colorsync/Profiles.

LR 2.1 will now recognise theme when you click other in the profile drop down in LR color management pane. LR 1.4 and Photoshop don't have this problem.

I hope this helps

hi-landr

custom profiles
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 10:25:28 pm »

thanks for all the advise, but alas I'm still not able to get the profiles to show up. I am using the epson 2400 printer and all the profiles are in the library/colorsync/profiles folder. I have moved around to the user/library/colorsync/profiles. still no  joy??
this is the first set of issues I've had with either lightroom or epson. any other ideas?????
thanks again for trying...

francois

custom profiles
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 03:09:25 am »

thanks for all the advise, but alas I'm still not able to get the profiles to show up. I am using the epson 2400 printer and all the profiles are in the library/colorsync/profiles folder. I have moved around to the user/library/colorsync/profiles. still no  joy??
this is the first set of issues I've had with either lightroom or epson. any other ideas?????
thanks again for trying...
Try to create a new user account and log-in as this new user. Does Lightroom sees the profiles?
Francois

rvanr

• http://www.vanruitenbeek.com/
custom profiles
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 03:58:26 am »

thanks for all the advise, but alas I'm still not able to get the profiles to show up.

A long shot: have you uninstalled LR 1.4?  I installed LR 2 and assumed the previous version would have been uninstalled automatically, but it had not and I had all sort of weird problems until I uninstalled the previous version 'manually.'

jmwscot

• http://www.johnwoodphotowork.com
custom profiles
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 07:00:07 am »

I am using the epson 2400 printer and all the profiles are in the library/colorsync/profiles folder. I have moved around to the user/library/colorsync/profiles. still no  joy??
You say you have moved around to the user/library/colorsync/profiles. I don't understand what you mean. Are the profiles you want in the Macintosh HD/library/colorsync/profiles folder? If so simply copy them (don't actually move them) to the user/library/colorsync/profiles folder.

With the latest Epson drivers the Epson profiles (I assume it is these that you mean) are in packages located in Macintosh HD/library/printers/EPSON/ICC Profiles/package of whatever printer eg. Pro38. You have to right click the package to reveal the profiles. If it is actually custom profiles you have had made specially and they worked before, once you locate them copy them to user/library/colorsync/profiles.

Relaunch LR 2.1 and when you click the profile double arrows and select 'other' the profiles should appear in a separate menu window.

Regards, John

James R

custom profiles
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 12:11:27 pm »

I thought LR2 searchs for .icc profiles regardless of the profile when you select other.  My Epson 2400 profiles are stored in a subfolder in the library/printers/Epson/inkjetprinter/ and LR finds them without problem.  If you moved them from that location, I would move them back.  

hi-landr

custom profiles
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 08:58:28 pm »

Greetings once again,
still no joy, thank you all for your help.
so far i have tried all of your ideas and here are some of the results--
uninstalling lr 1.4-- still no profiles.
all the moves i talked about were copy profiles and move, always making sure the original profiles stayed in the folder they downloaded to, and yes i am talking about the epson profiles for the 24oo printer.
i sent an email to adobe and still have not had a reply.
after setting up a new user account and relaunching lightroom miraculously all the profiles were there and usable, but still not in the main users login? I really dont want to have to set everything up from scratch in a new account, are there any other ideas?????
thanks again for you help

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
custom profiles
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 09:31:54 pm »

Greetings once again,
still no joy, thank you all for your help.
so far i have tried all of your ideas and here are some of the results--
uninstalling lr 1.4-- still no profiles.
all the moves i talked about were copy profiles and move, always making sure the original profiles stayed in the folder they downloaded to, and yes i am talking about the epson profiles for the 24oo printer.
i sent an email to adobe and still have not had a reply.
after setting up a new user account and relaunching lightroom miraculously all the profiles were there and usable, but still not in the main users login? I really dont want to have to set everything up from scratch in a new account, are there any other ideas?????
thanks again for you help

Fighting the same problem.  My 11880 profiles quit showing up a week or two ago.  I just check and now my 3800 profiles are no longer available.  I have verified they are in the Library/Printers/Epson/Inkjet/ICCProfiles folder, they show up fine in Photoshop.

Update:  I was able to copy the profiles from inside the package in the above location into the Library/Colorsync/Profile folder and they did show up.  Not sure what might be different about the 2400.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 09:51:46 pm by Wayne Fox »

francois

custom profiles
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 06:07:28 am »

…after setting up a new user account and relaunching lightroom miraculously all the profiles were there and usable, but still not in the main users login? I really dont want to have to set everything up from scratch in a new account, are there any other ideas?????
It just means that some of your preferences (and/or cahce files) in your main user account are corrupted (or have incorrect permissions). Now, the tough thing is to find that ones that are affected...
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up