Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Live View on coming MFDB - any better ?  (Read 8946 times)

yaya

Live View on coming MFDB - any better ?
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2008, 03:37:59 am »

Quote from: zeitwand
Hello Yair!

I asked this a couple of days ago in the LEAF User Forum but never got any reply. Maybe you could help me.

at the moment i'am using a HP iPaq (WiView, bluetooth) to check my shots in the field. I have not the benefit of using a macbook for terthered shooting  

For the new AFI/Aptus2 there is an advertise on the Leaf Homepage of the use of an iphone or ipod-touch for remot image viewing when shooting tethered.

Is this done with the WiView software or a new one ?

My questions:

- Is this only possible when i shoot tethered with a mbp: Aptus -> tethered -> mbp -> wifi -> iphone/ipod-touch ?

- If not, do the iphone/ipod-touch do the same job my iPaq does at the moment: Aptus -> bluetooth -> iphone/ipod-touch ?

- can my aptus22 handle this too ?

Glad to hear from you!

Michael!

Hello Michael,

The iPhone/ iPod touch is connected to the computer via local WiFi or the internet (if your client sits in a meeting away from where you're shooting for example) and watches the folder that is set as your shots folder in Leaf Capture 11. This means that you don't necessarily have to be shooting or connected to the Leaf digital back or even have Leaf Capture running.

At the moment, in order to view the images as they are being shot, you have to be tethered (this works with any FireWire based back BTW). The Mac is doing all the processing and the images come up properly rendered, colour managed etc. The reason for this is that the Bluetooth on the iPhone is fairly basic and only works with devices such as ear sets and handsfree kits.

This project is still under development and we're looking to go into beta (public beta) in late December so we can collect as much feedback as possible. The application will be available for download from the iTunes store once it's ready for testing (as this is the only way to load new applications to the iPhone).

So for the time-being the Leaf WiView via Bluetooth is your solution.

I hope this helps

Yair

zeitwand

• http://www.zeitwand.de
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2008, 04:40:22 am »

Thanks Yair!

This clears something up!

At the moment, in order to view the images as they are being shot, you have to be tethered (this works with any FireWire based back BTW). The Mac is doing all the processing and the images come up properly rendered, colour managed etc. The reason for this is that the Bluetooth on the iPhone is fairly basic and only works with devices such as ear sets and handsfree kits

I did know what LiveView is only available when shooting tethered with Mac  

But will the iphone/ipod-touch be able (or is there the possibility) to receive the already captures shot via bluetooth to check it afterwards (zoom, gray balance, ... ) ? Like the way the iPaq's work for now. Or is the iphone/touch bluetooth bandwith lower than the iPaq's and thus dont work for this application?

Michael

Architectural Photography: www.zeitwand.de

Carsten W

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2008, 05:22:23 am »

I did know what LiveView is only available when shooting tethered with Mac  

But will the iphone/ipod-touch be able (or is there the possibility) to receive the already captures shot via bluetooth to check it afterwards (zoom, gray balance, ... ) ? Like the way the iPaq's work for now. Or is the iphone/touch bluetooth bandwith lower than the iPaq's and thus dont work for this application?

The iPhone/iPod touch's Bluetooth cannot be used for general applications, just for earphones and accessories. Apple has chosen to limit it. They will need to be used with WiFi, which no back has built in to my knowledge, so there is a workflow issue no matter what you do.
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

zeitwand

• http://www.zeitwand.de
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2008, 05:39:04 am »

Quote from: carstenw
The iPhone/iPod touch's Bluetooth cannot be used for general applications, just for earphones and accessories. Apple has chosen to limit it. They will need to be used with WiFi, which no back has built in to my knowledge, so there is a workflow issue no matter what you do.

Thanks carstenw!

Too bad - so i have to continue using my iPaq for that matter
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 05:39:20 am by zeitwand »
Architectural Photography: www.zeitwand.de

ziocan

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2009, 03:32:01 pm »

Thanks carstenw!

Too bad - so i have to continue using my iPaq for that matter
Does anybody know how much it will cost to upgrade a Phase "non Plus" back with the live view option?

micmatthews

• http://www.digitaltransitions.com
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2009, 04:35:25 pm »

Quote from: ziocan
Does anybody know how much it will cost to upgrade a Phase "non Plus" back with the live view option?

Ziocon,

Hello It depends on what back you have if you can get the live preview feature upgrade. The P21, P30 and P45 can be sent in to Phase One for live preview upgrade for $3,000. Any back can be upgrade to a plus system which has live preview. This pricing depends on what system you have and what you are upgrading to.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 04:36:47 pm by micmatthews »
Best regards,
Michelle Matthews Digital

BJL

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2009, 02:38:27 pm »

Quote from: Jann Lipka
Any chance some new backs will have usable Live View ?
RED's MF cameras will offer killer Live View if and when they ship! Kodak is also offering to make CMOS sensors to order in sizes up to well beyond MF, so that might offer better LV --- but no-one seems to be choosing that Kodak option for a DMF back yet.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up