Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paper for limited edition landscapes???  (Read 2998 times)

karrphoto

Paper for limited edition landscapes???
« on: October 31, 2008, 08:00:44 pm »

So, I did some landscapes and I wanted to use my Z3100 (24") to print some limited editions.. but there are SOOO many papers out there.  I'd like something HEAVY.  300gsm+ slight texture, no gloss.. just something that feels like normal heavy paper... I take that back about the texture, I don't care what kind of texture it has really, as long as it prints well.   It's going to have to have a high DMax too... I have some pictures that are all over the place and will test papers that don't have a decent dmax.

Preferably roll too.. since I found sheets are much more $$$$ per sq ft than rolls are, typically.

Thanks![attachment=9359:sTurret2.jpg]
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 08:01:38 pm by karrphoto »

jdoyle1713

• http://www.shadesofpaper.com
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 08:17:16 pm »

well Two questions

1) Warm Or Cool Paper ?
2) matt Or Photo Black ?

Cheers
Jim Doyle
http://www.shadesofpaper.com
Jim Doyle
[url=http://www.shadesofpaper.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 09:39:49 pm »

Quote from: karrphoto
So, I did some landscapes and I wanted to use my Z3100 (24") to print some limited editions.. but there are SOOO many papers out there.  I'd like something HEAVY.  300gsm+ slight texture, no gloss.. just something that feels like normal heavy paper... I take that back about the texture, I don't care what kind of texture it has really, as long as it prints well.   It's going to have to have a high DMax too... I have some pictures that are all over the place and will test papers that don't have a decent dmax.

Preferably roll too.. since I found sheets are much more $$$$ per sq ft than rolls are, typically.

Thanks![attachment=9359:sTurret2.jpg]

I also use a Z3100, mostly for landscapes. I've tried lots of different papers, and have settled on a few favorites that really "sing" on this printer. None are completely ideal in every respect; everything is a compromise.
My current favorite is Hahnemüle photo rag pearl. No OBA's, slightly warm paper base, excellent color accuracy, and photo rag's subtle eggshell surface texture. It uses photo black ink; d-max is good but not fabulous. Hand-feel is great, the traditional heavyweight photo rag fiber base. It also does a good job with reds, certainly better than matte papers on this printer.
Hahnemüle photo rag satin is another favorite. I profiled it using the ">250 gm fine art" preset, which uses all 4 blacks. The surface looks matte before ink hits it, but provides a subtle sheen in the inked areas that seems to improve tonal separation in shadows. Reds aren't quite as vivid, but blues and greens have a 'crystalline' appearance that works beautifully for skies. I like this paper for black & white images that don't need a deep d-max for impact.
Crane silver rag is another choice. On the Z3100 it provides the darkest d-max I've ever seen, just pitch black. The paper base is rather warm. The surface texture can look a bit too artificial or machine-like, especially in smooth areas like sky.
Finally, HP's professional satin provides the best absolute image quality I've been able to coax out of this printer. D-max is very deep, color gamut excellent, and the surface texture is a very nice soft gloss. The only problem is its unpleasant plastic hand feel. I just received a roll of HP's 'baryte' satin paper today, and I'll be trying it out tomorrow. If it matches HP's pro satin image quality with a fiber paper's hand feel, it's my new best friend.

karrphoto

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 11:30:11 pm »

Quote from: jdoyle1713
well Two questions

1) Warm Or Cool Paper ?
2) matt Or Photo Black ?

Cheers
Jim Doyle
http://www.shadesofpaper.com

Jim-

Honestly.. never thought about it as far as warm or cool.   And as far as matte or photo black... don't really care to be honest.

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 11:59:36 pm »

I just picked up and tested a roll of the HP Baryte Satin Art Paper and am mostly pleased with it.  The sheen is very soft, and the texture is more subtle and pleasing to me than the Silver Rag, as if the coating layer is heavier.  I don't know if it is or not, though, maybe it's just the secret sauce of baryte/baryta .  The paper also seems to have a very good dMax.  My only beef is that I wish it was slightly heavier than 290 gsm and my printed samples seem a little wavy to me.   I'm using the HP paper preset with this and an APS profile I made.  I don't recall reading anybody else reporting this issue with this paper yet, so it may just be the really high humidity we've had here lately or something in my printing parameters.
-Ron H.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

William Morse

• http://https://MorseEditions.com
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 10:02:57 am »

Hi Ron-

I have not seen wavy-ness, and I have printed some very dark photos on the Baryte. How much GE did you use?

While I'd like to see slightly more weight, the "feel" of the paper is better than any other PK paper I've used. My customers also like it alot.

Bill

Quote from: Colorwave
I just picked up and tested a roll of the HP Baryte Satin Art Paper and am mostly pleased with it.  The sheen is very soft, and the texture is more subtle and pleasing to me than the Silver Rag, as if the coating layer is heavier.  I don't know if it is or not, though, maybe it's just the secret sauce of baryte/baryta .  The paper also seems to have a very good dMax.  My only beef is that I wish it was slightly heavier than 290 gsm and my printed samples seem a little wavy to me.   I'm using the HP paper preset with this and an APS profile I made.  I don't recall reading anybody else reporting this issue with this paper yet, so it may just be the really high humidity we've had here lately or something in my printing parameters.
-Ron H.
Wm. Morse Editions
A Fine-Art Digital Pr

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 01:27:23 pm »

Quote from: William Morse
Hi Ron-

I have not seen wavy-ness, and I have printed some very dark photos on the Baryte. How much GE did you use?

While I'd like to see slightly more weight, the "feel" of the paper is better than any other PK paper I've used. My customers also like it alot.

Bill
Bill-

I'm not at work today to look it up, but I used the standard setting that came with the new paper preset that I downloaded from HP.  I  used their paper preset, and my profile.  I printed in full page mode with the GE.  Since I don't have a Z3200, the only way for me to change my ink load is to reload the paper type as another type when I add it to my paper list in the Printer Utility, which I haven't done that yet.  As best I know, I can't adjust the GE level independently of the other colors period except for full page and economy.  I do like the sound of the ability to run the GE level up or down manually with the new design on the new Z3200.

Have you compared the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta to the HP Satin Barite?  I haven't got my hands on the Hahnemuhle paper yet, but get the impression that it may be a slightly more textured than the HP paper.  I like the fact that it is heavier.

Back to karrphoto's question:
I think that a paper in this class would be the ideal middleground for your shots, if you prefer a matte paper, since you will get much better dMax on this type of coated surface and you have a lot of dark in your shots.  They do have sheen, but with a very organic, non plastic surface texture.

-Ron H.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 01:28:07 pm by Colorwave »
-Ron H.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 06:54:47 am »

Quote from: Colorwave
-Ron H.

Yep. Same problem here. Printing fairly dark images on HP Baryte satin I get very obvious ripples or waves across the width of the paper, as it buckles under the inkload. This only partly reverses as the paper dries out. Worse yet, the buckling is so extreme that I'm getting head crashes and zebra stripes in the middle of the page. Humidity here has actually been pretty low, so that's not the problem. Lowering ink coverage to 90% has no effect; the head crashes continue. I'm using HP's own paper preset, so it's nothing I'm doing wrong.

This paper is unacceptable. Shame on you, HP.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 06:55:44 am by Geoff Wittig »

William Morse

• http://https://MorseEditions.com
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 08:34:48 am »

Wow! I have been printing with a "pre-release" sample roll. I can only hope they haven't "fixed" it! It is curious that none of the beta testers or earlty reviewers reported anything like this. Hopefully it's a bad batch?

Bill

Quote from: Geoff Wittig
Yep. Same problem here. Printing fairly dark images on HP Baryte satin I get very obvious ripples or waves across the width of the paper, as it buckles under the inkload. This only partly reverses as the paper dries out. Worse yet, the buckling is so extreme that I'm getting head crashes and zebra stripes in the middle of the page. Humidity here has actually been pretty low, so that's not the problem. Lowering ink coverage to 90% has no effect; the head crashes continue. I'm using HP's own paper preset, so it's nothing I'm doing wrong.

Wm. Morse Editions
A Fine-Art Digital Pr

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 10:31:15 am »

Quote from: Geoff Wittig
Hmmm . . . I wonder what we might do, in the way of complaining, that would get HP's attention?  I know that there are some people in the company that would care, but as a rule the ccompany is fceless, apathetic and unresponsive to customer feedback.
-Ron H.
Pages: [1]   Go Up