Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: won't print large size  (Read 10479 times)

EvoM

won't print large size
« on: October 31, 2008, 07:40:37 pm »

Hi, I have a reoccurring problem trying to print large files/print sizes on my z3100 44 inch (no aps).

There seems to be some kind of limit where printing out of Photoshop CS3 Ext (ppc mac) via ethernet to the Z3100.
When I send the print job as normal out of Photoshop, it seems like it is doing it's normal thing spooling but then it just disappears and it doesn't print.
The print size is 36 x 82 inches @ 300dpi.This is only with really big files/print sizes, normal prints say 36 x 50 inches are okay.

Has anyone had a problem printing big files and has a solution as to why this is happening.

Evan

karrphoto

won't print large size
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 08:13:03 pm »

Quote from: EvoM
Hi, I have a reoccurring problem trying to print large files/print sizes on my z3100 44 inch (no aps).

There seems to be some kind of limit where printing out of Photoshop CS3 Ext (ppc mac) via ethernet to the Z3100.
When I send the print job as normal out of Photoshop, it seems like it is doing it's normal thing spooling but then it just disappears and it doesn't print.
The print size is 36 x 82 inches @ 300dpi.This is only with really big files/print sizes, normal prints say 36 x 50 inches are okay.

Has anyone had a problem printing big files and has a solution as to why this is happening.

Evan

Hmm.. Driver?   Can you try printing through another app?  Is something like QImage available for MAC?     Sorry I can't be of too much help, haven't run into any non-printing problems yet and I use QImage, even if sometimes I want to bet my head in from using it... lol

If not, I'll be happy to trade you my 24" for your 44", that should solve the problem..

EvoM

won't print large size
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 09:07:11 pm »

Quote from: karrphoto
Hmm.. Driver?   Can you try printing through another app?  Is something like QImage available for MAC?     Sorry I can't be of too much help, haven't run into any non-printing problems yet and I use QImage, even if sometimes I want to bet my head in from using it... lol

If not, I'll be happy to trade you my 24" for your 44", that should solve the problem..

Well I'm not quite ready to trade but thanks all the same!
QImage is PC only and unfortunately I'm PPC not intel Mac.
I might try lightroom and see if it's PS related.
I think Mark Linquist who frequents these forums decribed the same problem but at the time he lowered the dpi making a smaller file size to get it printed.
I think this is only a problem for those on Mac who try to either print large or have high dpi (both effectively making a big file) and maybe hit some barrier.
It is strange that the driver doesn't report an error or crash or something rather than simply closing and not actually getting the print to the Z3100 via ethernet (my set up).

Anyone else?

Evan

a.lorge

won't print large size
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 11:35:38 pm »

I've have the same problem printing (on a mac) directly from photoshop to the z3100.  The maximum file I can print seems to top out at about 500 mb.  Which is kind of stupid for a 44" printer.  There are two solutions that I have found to fix this problem that are relatively inexpensive.

Solution 1:  If you can get a copy of photoshop cs2, HP has a plug-in you can install that will print larger files called photosmart pro print:  photosmart pro print

Solution 2:  I was recently introduced to qimage on this forum (thanks Ernst Dinkla).  You can try creating a virtual machine with VMware fusion and running Qimage from there.  I'm pretty sure both programs have free 30 day demos.  Oh yeah, but you will also need a copy of windows.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 11:40:44 pm by a.lorge »

EvoM

won't print large size
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 03:53:09 am »

thanks a.lorge. I have CS3 PS so might look into the HP plugin. Not too keen on the PC stuff though although I wish there was a Q Image mac version!

Evo

Ernst Dinkla

won't print large size
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 06:29:04 am »

thanks a.lorge. I have CS3 PS so might look into the HP plugin. Not too keen on the PC stuff though although I wish there was a Q Image mac version!

Evo

I'm afraid that in the case of the Z3100 driver Qimage isn't able to get over the driver's length limit. So far there have been reports that Z3100 differ per printer what length they can produce and in my case it isn't more than 2.75 meter, but others mention 5 meters or more. As the driver doesn't know a true banner mode the detour along Qimage's Poster/Tiles method isn't possible, it will put a 1 cm (2x 5mm margin) white intersection between tiles. The similar stitched tiles method in Illustrator, CorelDraw will in my opinion not work either. This is a HP driver problem and has been reported to HP before. I have no idea whether the Z3200 is better on that aspect, I hope they added a true banner mode as that solves memory issues better than just increasing the print page length. The last usually means that you run into another memory-length limit.

Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

EvoM

won't print large size
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 07:21:31 pm »

Quote from: Ernst Dinkla
I'm afraid that in the case of the Z3100 driver Qimage isn't able to get over the driver's length limit. So far there have been reports that Z3100 differ per printer what length they can produce and in my case it isn't more than 2.75 meter, but others mention 5 meters or more. As the driver doesn't know a true banner mode the detour along Qimage's Poster/Tiles method isn't possible, it will put a 1 cm (2x 5mm margin) white intersection between tiles. The similar stitched tiles method in Illustrator, CorelDraw will in my opinion not work either. This is a HP driver problem and has been reported to HP before. I have no idea whether the Z3200 is better on that aspect, I hope they added a true banner mode as that solves memory issues better than just increasing the print page length. The last usually means that you run into another memory-length limit.

Ernst Dinkla

Thanks Ernst for that info. I'm surprised that more people haven't brought up this issue...maybe not many people try big files/prints!
It's pretty crazy that a large format print has this limitation!

So as far as we can tell there's no absolute formula to know what the biggest print/file is on the Z3100 44 inch? We just have to keep downsizing till it works?

Evo

howseth

• http://howseth.com/
won't print large size
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 09:11:31 pm »

I noticed a poster saying he could not print anything over 500MB with his z3100. I have made prints with my 24" Z3100 from files larger than 500MB - one file was close to 700MB using Photoshop CS3 (On a Mac.) It was a file that was not flattened prior to printing, hence the large file size. No problem printing it; but The dimensions, however, were only about 19" X 28." The biggest print I have done with the Z3100 was 23" x 44" - but it's file was under 300MB.

Howard

Ernst Dinkla

won't print large size
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 11:36:48 am »

Thanks Ernst for that info. I'm surprised that more people haven't brought up this issue...maybe not many people try big files/prints!
It's pretty crazy that a large format print has this limitation!

So as far as we can tell there's no absolute formula to know what the biggest print/file is on the Z3100 44 inch? We just have to keep downsizing till it works?

Evo

There's an easy way to check whether your printer/driver goes above say 10 feet length. Use a wide sheet of ordinary white paper but tell the printer it is a roll.  Set the driver up to print at 10 feet and roll width 24, 36, 44 inch, anything that falls within that sheet size width. It can be a low resolution file, no need to check it on maximum file size right now. Start the print. Check whether it does the full width you have chosen, if it does only about a feet wide and the image cropped to that width you know it has the length limit. Hit the red button on the printer and try a shorter length next time. If at one point it does the full width you know it will do the length as chosen. That at least is the behaviour of my Z3100.

Ernst Dinkla

dct123

• http://www.dctomick.com
won't print large size
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 01:18:29 pm »

How about this...

When the print setup window opens choose Properties, then select Custom Size, and near the bottom below the length setting window will be a minimum and maximum size in parenthesis.

Ernst Dinkla

won't print large size
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 02:54:53 pm »

Quote from: dct123
How about this...

When the print setup window opens choose Properties, then select Custom Size, and near the bottom below the length setting window will be a minimum and maximum size in parenthesis.

With an experience reaching back to Epson 3000, 5000, 9000 models you do not take numbers in menus or manuals too serious ....
Come back when you printed that maximum length.

Ernst Dinkla

dct123

• http://www.dctomick.com
won't print large size
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 07:42:35 pm »

With an experience reaching back to Epson 3000, 5000, 9000 models you do not take numbers in menus or manuals too serious ....
Come back when you printed that maximum length.

Ernst Dinkla

Okay...I'm back. Now what. I don't really want to get into a p$$#&g contest with you, so just let me repeat what I've stated in other threads here in the past, and that is: "I've printed up to 12 feet by 24 inches at 300 dpi from my 24" Z3100ps machine". I was using the firmware before this latest update and a corresponding date postscript driver. The image was upsized in PS CS3 at 300dpi and printed from InDesign CS3 in an actual size page layout.

rwheat

• http://www.westernlandscapes.com.au
won't print large size
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 12:36:37 am »

I have a similar problem with CS3.

For me (YMMV) it works like this:

If I multiply my printing resolution (this is the printer driver resolution that the HP is going to use, not your requested dpi) by the target length of the print and get a number greater than around 32000, I know I cannot print it directly from Photoshop. I then use QImage.

Eg. a 60inch long print at best setting is no good, a 52inch long print at best setting is ok, a 100inch long print at normal setting is ok, a 110 inch long print at normal setting is no good, etc.

I have found that if you are way over the limit, the print job doesn't even make it to the printer.  If you are over but close then the HP preview will show a truncated print (you have to look closely).

This seems to be a Photoshop issue - not a driver issue.

Hope this helps,
Richard.

Ernst Dinkla

won't print large size
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 03:54:47 am »

Quote from: dct123
Okay...I'm back. Now what. I don't really want to get into a p$$#&g contest with you, so just let me repeat what I've stated in other threads here in the past, and that is: "I've printed up to 12 feet by 24 inches at 300 dpi from my 24" Z3100ps machine". I was using the firmware before this latest update and a corresponding date postscript driver. The image was upsized in PS CS3 at 300dpi and printed from InDesign CS3 in an actual size page layout.

As written before there have been users reporting sizes of 5 meter (17 feet). When I reported the length problems in older threads you mentioned that you were able to print longer than I could and some other users did as well. But nowhere I have seen reports of roll lengths being printed. There's a 3582,68" (300 feet, 90 meters) maximum length reported in my Z3100 printer menu and I thought you referred to that length. Hence my comment. The longest output I can make with the driver and Qimage is 277 cm (from 32 bit XP), the same combination but from a Vista 32 or 64 bits is about 250 cm, so more limited. We discuss the HP driver not a RIP. The RIP that I have prints longer lengths.

The reason I wrote the message in this thread is to dampen expectations that Qimage will solve a length limit of the driver with the Poster/Tiles method. It can't help there as unlike Epson and Canon drivers the HP driver doesn't have a true banner mode. It is still possible that for other reasons (memory, pixel number limit) Qimage may improve the printing length in normal mode though that will vary as well per printer/driver.

Normally I never print from Photoshop but I did see a reference to a HP plug-in for CS and CS2 that should improve the printing. CS3 should cope on its own. I will have CS4 as soon as it is distributed in Europe and will see if that makes a difference to the length on the Vista system.

I prefer a banner mode in the HP driver though. The Qimage Poster/Tiles + banner mode solution has been very consistent with Epsons.

Richard, you mention the problems printing from Photoshop but you also use Qimage, to what length can you print with Qimage? Normal mode I presume or did you find a way to use the Poster/Tiles function with the HP driver ?

Ernst Dinkla

namartinnz

won't print large size
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 03:56:24 pm »

This may not be relevant, but I found when saving Tiff files in Photoshop and printing in Qimage on the Z3100, if choosing LZW compression I had difficulty printing large files - they came up as an error message. Non compressed files printed fine and over 6m in length. I don't think the files were over 500MB though.

Neal

rwheat

• http://www.westernlandscapes.com.au
won't print large size
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 07:44:32 pm »

Richard, you mention the problems printing from Photoshop but you also use Qimage, to what length can you print with Qimage? Normal mode I presume or did you find a way to use the Poster/Tiles function with the HP driver ?

Ernst Dinkla

Ernst,

Sorry, I haven't explored the limits of length with QImage yet.  The longest I've printed is around 2.2meters (87inches) from QImage in Best mode.  I don't have the experience with QImage yet that you have, and I haven't tried the Poster/Tiles function.  My point was only that Photoshop has a definite limit which I get around by using QImage.

I do have a job coming up where I need to print 1 meter wide by 6 meters long (40inches by 236inches).  Is this going to work at 300dpi in QImage?

Thanks,
Richard.

EvoM

won't print large size
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 01:34:20 am »

Thanks everyone for your responses. Some useful insights and it seems it really is a Photoshop and to a lesser degree, Qimage problem. I wonder if the many sign shops doing very large prints have these problems or do they have proprietary software that is made for large printing.

It's a little difficult not having a Intel Mac to access even Qimage via bootcamp etc!

Is there any chance CS4 Photoshop will be any different?

cheers Evan

Ernst Dinkla

won't print large size
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 03:21:59 am »

Quote from: rwheat
Ernst,

I do have a job coming up where I need to print 1 meter wide by 6 meters long (40inches by 236inches).  Is this going to work at 300dpi in QImage?

Thanks,
Richard.

The Z3100 is like a lottery ticket on length issues, so you have to try it the way I described it earlier in this thread.

There have always been limits when printing long images to wide inkjets: memory, pixel number and print page limits in the OS, the application, the driver and possibly the printer's hard/firmware. With most obstacles removed in more recent software and hardware I see the problems of some Z3100s directly related to that printer and its driver and less to Photoshop etc. Qimage has the capabilities to go beyond Photoshop in normal mode (pixel number, memory) and it has the Poster/Tiles method, the last however doesn't work with the (my) Z3100 driver.

Ernst Dinkla

jgury

won't print large size
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2008, 11:30:35 am »

Photoshop CS3 and earlier  have a 30,000X30,000 pix limit on printing and file saving.  There is a new file type to support bigger than
this.  CS4 reportedly does not have this limit on printing.  I do my big stuff with either Qimage or ImagePrint with preferenc Qimage since
Imageprint has become less useful to me in the Z-Hp world of easy custom profiles.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase...x.cfm?id=329548

The Z3100 is like a lottery ticket on length issues, so you have to try it the way I described it earlier in this thread.

There have always been limits when printing long images to wide inkjets: memory, pixel number and print page limits in the OS, the application, the driver and possibly the printer's hard/firmware. With most obstacles removed in more recent software and hardware I see the problems of some Z3100s directly related to that printer and its driver and less to Photoshop etc. Qimage has the capabilities to go beyond Photoshop in normal mode (pixel number, memory) and it has the Poster/Tiles method, the last however doesn't work with the (my) Z3100 driver.

Ernst Dinkla

Pages: [1]   Go Up